NTV Friday Road Show 3.0 Trailer (Piano)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xous
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xous » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:21 pm

A piano and a tree shaped like a heart? Those two things can't fit into plugsuits! Easily, anyway... The merchandising angle is all wrong! ;D

Anyway, is this still better than nothing? I guess even this is. It's weird I've come to accept this after waiting so long.
Current Eva-related project: Drawing Angels #1 - 17. Progress: Sketching Ireul. [On Standby]

tomfrom994
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby tomfrom994 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:23 pm

View Original PostXous wrote:A piano and a tree shaped like a heart? Those two things can't fit into plugsuits! Easily, anyway... The merchandising angle is all wrong! ;D

I say it's the perfect merchandising angle. The Evangelion Store will start selling trees and pianos tomorrow morning.

You also get a free bandana if you get advance tickets for EVANGELION:3.0.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Anno blew the Eva 3.0 budget while creating that piano scene.

It doesn't get better than this.
In and of itself, self-evident.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm

maybe it's Shinji playing the piano who knows?
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Heh. Their past marketing campaigns have been kinda cookie cutter and obvious. Whatever said about this, at least they're thinking outside the box! I love it. This is exactly what I want to see. If they're producing trailer-specific animation, why not go further with something like the Prometheus viral videos, short films about events outside the film itself?

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:30 am

I doubt the choice of a piano is based on a pun of Instrumentality. It has a different name in Japanese that has nothing to do with instruments as far as I can tell.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:57 am

Ugh. It isn't even a decent song, it's just silly ragtime-ish bullcrap.

Damn it Anno, stop wasting people's time animating a piano and get the fucking movie done, you knucklehead!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:10 am

I would have liked it more if it played Circus Galop.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:43 am

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:I doubt the choice of a piano is based on a pun of Instrumentality. It has a different name in Japanese that has nothing to do with instruments as far as I can tell.

Complementation?
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:49 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Girlfriend of Steel really pushed that sound. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:03 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Yes, obviously folks are over the top for interpreting the giant focus on the guts of an instrument as meaning this is going to be a movie with instrumentality. Clearly people are out of their minds.
[url]http://www.evangelion.co.jp/index.html[/url]
I mean it's not like it's just a giant photo of an instrument. There's surely something entirely different going on here.

Alright, it's a fish-eye lens, thus the image is warped, so...

INSTRUMENTALITY HAS BEEN WARPED! That, or we'll be hearing strained notes a lot.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

tomfrom994
Adam

Re: Girlfriend of Steel really pushed that sound. B/

•      
  •      

Postby tomfrom994 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:10 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:INSTRUMENTALITY HAS BEEN WARPED! That, or we'll be hearing strained notes a lot.

You made my morning with that. XD

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 am

Oh boy....this could get interesting. If you know anything about pianos and the musical interval known as "perfect fifths", then this could be considered a stroke of genius by some. Also the 88 keys of a piano may come into play. (I know it may seem like I'm reading into this a bit, but there has never been such intense focus on just a single instrument presented in the continuity before so it must be important.)
Last edited by cd603 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:41 am

Not sure how anyone can possibly call it rag-time, there's nothing remotely similar. It sounds like an etude, building off of the dominant 7, it's probably 1850's or later, but it sounds like something that's written or arranged specifically for the promo.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wow, khara is really pushing this piano video.

They also changed the background on the webpage from the solid blue one to a piano.

tomfrom994
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby tomfrom994 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 am

View Original Postcd603 wrote:If you know anything about pianos and the musical interval know as "perfect fifths", then this could be considered a stroke of genius by some.

Could you elaborate a little more on that, please?

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:46 am

khara's really going the extra mile to promote this piano motif, I just hope it amounts to something.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:46 pm

View Original Posttomfrom994 wrote:Could you elaborate a little more on that, please?

I'll try to explain as best I can but it may be a little messy. (and again, I'm probably reading into this a bit too much so apology in advance. Also this is just speculation/theorising, so I'm not expecting this to be right.)

Anyways, the choice to use a Grand piano isn't that weird, obviously it provides the best sound quality when being compared to other types of pianos. However, if you look at the piano on the Evangelion.co.jp front page, you can clearly see its a Yamaha piano. Now these are a pretty common brand of grand piano, (they've been making them for years) so what most would assume is its there so we as a audience can identify with it. But the fact that this trailer goes inside the piano is what is most interesting. It shows that someone (most likely Anno) wanted us to pay attention to the details of the piano. The want us to experience the music not only audibly, but visually as well. I guess my assumption would be that Anno may have been taught music on a similar type of piano in his youth. (This is obviously backed by his love for classical music.) What this means in terms of the plot, well I guess maybe the lost of innocence and how childhood was a simpler time?? Probably something to do with Shinji finally growing up and taking responsibility for his action or something to that effect. Plus, pianos are sexy... :toothy:

Now as for "perfect fifths" part, I'll direct you to the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_fifth
Basically it talks about how it is the most consonant or stable interval next to the Unison and the Octave. Now I see the Unison representing what would have occurred had third impact been successful. (the unison of Unit 01 and whatever that Rei looking thing was; I don't actually know the name.) I guess the Octave could be referencing Unit 08. (because of an Octagon having eight sides??) And of course Perfect Fifth would have to be Kaworu, since he would be the next "stable" life-form able to commence third impact and if we consider Mari the fourth child, then he would be the fifth technically. It also talks about perfect fifths having a pitch ratio of 3:2 which could represent the number of Nerv children vs. Seele's children (or whoever Mari is working for??)

I guess what it comes down to is the whole trailer is just a bunch of metaphors and they may not even have any context with the film. I hope I elaborated enough for that to make sense and I hope you got something from my little ramble! :thumbsup:

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:57 pm

This is just me speculating, but perhaps the inside look at the Piano and then the outside look is a way of trying to represent how many different pieces become one whole. So, to link this to Eva this could represent Human Instrumentality (another link to the Piano is that it is an Instrument) as it it about all human beings becoming one whole.

Just speculation though.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”