Debate the quality of Rebuild here. [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Assasinate
Lilith

Postby Assasinate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:25 am

well for me.. rebuild is good... unlike the anime series that there's too much stories to understand...
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

jota
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby jota » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm inclined to believe that rebuild is the best "revival" i've ever seen. I think that all the changes are valid, once it's an aternate way to tell the same story...

Stuart
Adam

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I've not read the whole thread (has anyone?) but here's my tuppence:

I thought 1.0 was a waste of time tbh, there was no real change in plot, every scene I felt I'd scene before and there was nothing knew. It felt a bit like watching "Death."

2.0, on the other hand, wow, blew me away, just exactly what I wanted, loads of pumped up action and new plot twists and a totally different story (who wants the same story again?).

Also the ridiculous "mother-in-eva-in-order-to-be-a-pilot" thing seems to have gone, too. It's a plot hole in NGE, let's face it.

jota
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby jota » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 pm

I just hope that Evangelion 4.0 kick asses to the moon being the bet ending ever, because if doesn't, we'll surely have some kinda evangelion 5.0 end of rebuild.

Seph
Adam

Postby Seph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:02 pm

View Original PostStuart wrote:I've not read the whole thread (has anyone?) but here's my tuppence:

I thought 1.0 was a waste of time tbh, there was no real change in plot, every scene I felt I'd scene before and there was nothing knew. It felt a bit like watching "Death."

2.0, on the other hand, wow, blew me away, just exactly what I wanted, loads of pumped up action and new plot twists and a totally different story (who wants the same story again?).

Also the ridiculous "mother-in-eva-in-order-to-be-a-pilot" thing seems to have gone, too. It's a plot hole in NGE, let's face it.

1. If it's gone, why does Gendo still call Unit 01 "Yui" during the Zeruel attack?

2. How is it a plothole in NGE?

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:26 pm

The plot hole part comes from how the mother thing could never be made to work for 00 and 03, dubious at best for 04, and was blatantly handwaved away for the rest using dummy plugs.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Postby chaosakita » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

What I seem to notice is that for the general anime fandom as a whole, Rebuild seems a lot more well received, probably because it lacks some of the less depressive aspects of the original series that everyone seems to love here.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:53 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:The plot hole part comes from how the mother thing could never be made to work for 00 and 03, dubious at best for 04, and was blatantly handwaved away for the rest using dummy plugs.

It's not a plot hole.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Ana ... 0%27s_Soul

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Ana ... 3%27s_Soul

Furthermore, since Unit-04's pilot is never established, it is invalid for your argument. If, hypothetically, its pilot were a member of Class-2A, it is reasonable to assume that the core of Unit-04 would contain the soul of that person's mother, as it has been inferred that all of the students of Class-2A are without mothers and were preselected by Marduk Institute AKA Nerv:

NGE - Episode 19 wrote:Misato: "All the fourth-level candidates were in your class. I just found out myself recently that it was all set up."
Shinji: "All of them? All of my classmates..."

With regards to the MP Evas, if a soul of a human being is not within an Evangelion, it cannot produce an AT-Field. As seen in 26', the MP Evas can generate AT fields and by association have souls. It is also shown that instead of human pilots the MP Evas have dummy plugs to emulate the thought patterns of a pilot for operational purposes.
Since we know from Episode 18 that the Pilot-Mother relationship does not apply to Dummy Plugs (until Unit-01 / Yui willfully rejects the dummy system in Episode 19), it does not apply to the MP Evas and is therefore not a plot hole.

As for Rebuild, it's already been inferred that Yui is within Unit-01 (Shinji 'smells' her in the preparation before 8th Angel), and I recall some background dialogue descripting Unit-02's core being swapped into Unit-03 for Asuka, so it is likely that the Pilot-Mother relationship is similar or the same.
Voluntary Illusion.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 am

It is a plot hole. That they have attempted to retcon and rewrite doesn't mean it wasn't a plot hole. (Look at the dummy plugs - those certainly weren't in the Proposal!)

Look at the page for Eva-03: 'it is certainly Touji's mother'. Hilarious. It is not certainly anything; the general assumption on the Eva ML 97-98 (at least) was that it was his sister, because at least she was alive in the right time-frame to be absorbed into a core!

The only reason one could possibly write something like 'certainly his mother' is if there is zero evidence as to who, if anything, is in the core, and one has a theory which one insists is gospel truth.

Eva-00's page is even worse. Let's just assume arbitrarily that a Rei strangled to death can be put in the core and then reinterpret some random imagery to fit BECAUSE THE THEORY MUST BE PRESERVED.

As far as the classmates go - this has always been recognize as problematic. What, are there 30 cores sitting around in a warehouse somewhere, wondering if they'll ever get used and how their kids are doing?

(At this point on the old Eva ML, Tom Rothamel would chime in with one of his 'NERV Omake'. Good times.)

And as far as Rebuild 02 goes - yes, clearly the core is so important that Mari can hop in with no problem and Asuka can hop into 03.

(Hm... let's fanwank something around those problems! Maybe Mari's mum was in 05's core, and it somehow got salvaged - hey, if a strangled Rei can be put into a core... - and got Fedexed to Japan and Mari put it into 02 at the same thing as she was 1337 haxxoring NERV's security, and 02's original Asuka-specific core getting switched over to 03 (despite the only dialogue dealing with it speaking of 02's core being sealed away separately, not being transferred or anything) was simply not covered. Yeah, that sort of works.)

No, Eva's plot is holier than swiss cheese, and we of all people know it best. Good thing we don't watch for logical rigour and a careful exploration of a possible future, but for giant fighting robot action and psychological drama and sabisu, sabisu, sabisu!

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 am

There's a thread for the core stuff in Rebuild, including a focus on the Mari/Asuka fiasco viewtopic.php?t=9815

There's a subforum for the Wiki viewforum.php?f=22

And there's a Discussion subforum for the original series. viewforum.php?f=4

I can't believe I'm asking for this in here, of all threads, but topic please?

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:42 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I can't believe I'm asking for this in here, of all threads, but topic please?

Rebuild is so dorky! I hate it! :asuka_geh:

edit: Seele, my boy! I say, it's a, I say, son, it's a..
Last edited by esselfortium on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Rebuild has room for improvement but I enjoy it and maintain hope for the next installments! :hikari_happy:

edit: essel, mah love, I wuz jus' playin' along
Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Is it wrong that the more angst-threads I read about Rebuild, the more fascinated I become? Like, sometimes I'm not even sure if I like it or not, but... I keep on thinking about it.

Seele00TextOnly: thanks for those links.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Postby chaosakita » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:06 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Is it wrong that the more angst-threads I read about Rebuild, the more fascinated I become? Like, sometimes I'm not even sure if I like it or not, but... I keep on thinking about it.

What if I would say "yes?"

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:46 am

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Is it wrong that the more angst-threads I read about Rebuild, the more fascinated I become? Like, sometimes I'm not even sure if I like it or not, but... I keep on thinking about it.

I believe the word you looking for is actually wangst.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 am

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:I believe the word you looking for is actually wangst.

Very cool story. Did you bump this thread for any particular reason, or just to poke fun at people who feel differently from you? (Seriously, I can't tell if you had any point here..)

VV edit: Okay, poor choice of words. You know what I meant VV
Last edited by esselfortium on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Postby chaosakita » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Very cool story. Did you bump this thread for any particular reason, or just to poke fun at people who feel differently from you? (Seriously, I can't tell if you had any point here..)

Well technically, seeing as this thread is stickied, nothing would really bump up this thread. (Maybe in relationship to other stickied threads)

Stuart
Adam

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm

The problem with the original plot is that there is no reason ever given why the pilots have to be 14 year olds. Is it something to do with second impact? If it was all about mothers, surely older, more emotionally stable pilots could have been chosen?

Unit 1 is presented as a unique, "special" Eva throughout the entire series, until Air when Asuka's mum is suddenly in Unit 2 (under very different circumstances from Yui) in order to try to offer an explanation to the fans in the 90 minutes they had to try to resolve this issue.

And what I mean about this being absent from Rebuild is not that Yui is no longer in Unit 1, but (hopefully) Kyoko is no longer in Unit 2 (otherwise how could Mari pilot it and Unit 5, and how could Asuka pilot Unit 3?).

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Did you miss the whole core unit separation thing?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Nonoriri » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm

View Original PostStuart wrote:The problem with the original plot is that there is no reason ever given why the pilots have to be 14 year olds. Is it something to do with second impact? If it was all about mothers, surely older, more emotionally stable pilots could have been chosen?

Unit 1 is presented as a unique, "special" Eva throughout the entire series, until Air when Asuka's mum is suddenly in Unit 2 (under very different circumstances from Yui) in order to try to offer an explanation to the fans in the 90 minutes they had to try to resolve this issue.

And what I mean about this being absent from Rebuild is not that Yui is no longer in Unit 1, but (hopefully) Kyoko is no longer in Unit 2 (otherwise how could Mari pilot it and Unit 5, and how could Asuka pilot Unit 3?).

Episode 24 bro.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”