Evangelion 3.0 (Lack of) Updates

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:54 pm

I agree. I've worked in the live-action film industry, which is tough enough as it is. I've actually struggled with moments of serious depression many times trying to trudge my way through my career choice, and I was always an easy going, happy-go-lucky kind of guy before then. (But I still enjoy my career choice. What's with that?)

I can't imagine what it would be like having to oversee above-contemporary-par cel-animation for a show that updates weekly. Like I said, telling a story like NGE was probably a healthy way for him to deal with whatever depression he was going though. It helps with me, anyway. If I can get my angst out in a story, I can generally greet the world enough to get me through one more day.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Are we forgetting that Nadia (Anno bailed for the newly ordered episodes and left it to Shinji Higuchi to direct episodes 23-39) and Kare Kano (Anno bailed and left Tsurumaki to direct 19-26) had production issues, Eva fell incredibly behind schedule (and is a series that owes at least its directorial style atmosphere to this) and Rebuild seems to be languishing for whatever reason. He isn't exactly known for smooth productions

But to say that Anno being depressed is what made Eva good isn't entirely true much like Anno not being depressed (as far as fans know) is probably not why people dislike Rebuild.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:Are we forgetting that Nadia (Anno bailed for the newly ordered episodes and left it to Shinji Higuchi to direct episodes 23-39) and Kare Kano (Anno bailed and left Tsurumaki to direct 19-26) had production issues, Eva fell incredibly behind schedule (and is a series that owes at least its directorial style atmosphere to this) and Rebuild seems to be languishing for whatever reason. He isn't exactly known for smooth productions

But to say that Anno being depressed is what made Eva good isn't entirely true much like Anno not being depressed (as far as fans know) is probably not why people dislike Rebuild.

The histories of most of those shows reflects on the state of anime at that time more than Anno. NHK requested more Nadia episodes than had been planned, forcing Anno to delegate duties (he didn't "bail", he had Higuchi work on 23 to 34 while he crafted the final five). His departure from Kare Kano seemed to be about creative differences. TV anime demanded cheap, fast work, which caused problems. The point is that this image of Anno as someone weeping in the shower seems overblown. People think he must have been crazy 'cause Eva was "sad and shit", but a man deep in the pit of depression does not have the discipline to make NGE.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Regarding this current discussion: Kare Kano isn't the best example: He was forced to leave due to disagreements with the manga-ka. And Nadia dealt with NHK screwing Gainax over, according to Hiroyuki Yamaga's Fanime (2010 or 2009, I forget which) Panel.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:For the moon-readers amongst us, the relevant sentence is

Roughly, take this for what you will. I'm tired, so maybe my brain's out to lunch currently. I have no idea why the hell that "naku" (usually a negative indicator) is there before the "hima" (free time).

Grain of salt translation unless somebody corrects me wrote:Director Miyazaki Gorô said "Anno Hideaki-san dropped in because Eva (film work) stopped moving [Free time from work] and said that currently CG work is requested". He also said, "Today's Aoi-chan is really cute."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:59 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Roughly, take this for what you will.
That makes a bit more sense of the CG references -- not that Anno would be doing some CG for Miyazaki fils (lolwut), but that Khara are stuck because of CG issues; with the core "Eva production is at a standstill" remaining.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:26 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Roughly, take this for what you will. I'm tired, so maybe my brain's out to lunch currently. I have no idea why the hell that "naku" (usually a negative indicator) is there before the "hima" (free time).

Grain of salt translation unless somebody corrects me wrote:

Director Miyazaki Gorô said "Anno Hideaki-san dropped in because Eva (film work) stopped moving [Free time from work] and said that currently CG work is requested". He also said, "Today's Aoi-chan is really cute."

宮崎監督は「庵野秀明さんが遊びに来たときに、“エヴァ”(の制作)が動いてなかったので『仕事がなくヒマだ』と言っていたので今回CGをお願いした」と話し、「今日の葵ちゃんは本当にかわいかった。

The naku before hima has nothing to do with hima.

My translation:

Director Miyazaki said "When Anno Hideaki-san dropped by [my place], he said 'Because there was no progress of EVA ('s production), he said "There is no work and I am free."', so this time I asked for CG work.". "Today's Aoi-chan was really cute."... (not sure if it was spoken by Anno because the Japanese broke off at an odd point before the sentence finishes)
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:11 am

Full paragraph wrote:宮崎監督は「庵野秀明さんが遊びに来たときに、“エヴァ”(の制作)が動いてなかったので『仕事がなくヒマだ』と言っていたので今回CGをお願いした」と話し、「今日の葵ちゃんは本当にかわいかった。主人公の海ちゃんと一緒で、葵ちゃんはカワイイだけじゃなくしんがしっかりとしていて大きな可能性を秘めた子。映画のキャンペーンなどを通して、彼女の成長する瞬間に立ち会えてよかった」と笑顔を見せ、映画について「1963年が舞台だという宣伝の効果なのか、劇場には中高年が多くて若い人があまりいないので、このイベントで若い人にも観てもらえると期待している。初めて人を好きになったときのドキドキはいつの時代も変わらない。何かを感じとってもらえれば」と語った。

I split at the first "。", which I now see may be in the middle of the quoted speech.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:12 am

While I have not read this interview that is quoted (and translated) from here, I am probably missing some context.

But if Anno says that he there is currently no progress on EVA, and that he has free time to work on other things, this would suggest that he has no writing to do at the moment.

It is, therefore, possible that Anno has already finished writing the story for Q, but Studio Khara is not yet ready for further production, or at least production that requires him to be present as director.

Therefore, the holdup could just as well be logistical (e.g. waiting for hiring certain people or the delivery of certain materials), financial (e.g. waiting for money or investor approval), or technical (e.g. waiting for some vital new animation technology to be developed in-house), rather than the creative issues (e.g. Anno having writer's block due to depression) that everyone seems to be surmising.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:13 am

宮崎監督は「庵野秀明さんが遊びに来たときに、“エヴァ”(の制作)が動いてなかったので『仕事がなくヒマだ』と言っていたので今回CGをお願いした」と話し、「今日の葵ちゃんは本当にかわいかった。主人公の海ちゃんと一緒で、葵ちゃんはカワイイだけじゃなくしんがしっかりとしていて大きな可能性を秘めた子。映画のキャンペーンなどを通して、彼女の成長する瞬間に立ち会えてよかった」と笑顔を見せ、映画について「1963年が舞台だという宣伝の効果なのか、劇場には中高年が多くて若い人があまりいないので、このイベントで若い人にも観てもらえると期待している。初めて人を好きになったときのドキドキはいつの時代も変わらない。何かを感じとってもらえれば」と語った。

Director Miyazaki said "When Anno Hideaki-san dropped by [my place], he said 'Because there was no progress of EVA ('s production), he said "There is no work and I am free."', so this time I asked for CG work.". "Today's Aoi-chan was really cute. [symbv: Aoi Tejima, singer of the main theme of "Kokuriko saka kara"] Just like Umi-chan the protagonist, Aoi-chan is not just cute, but is also a girl having a robust core with big possibilities inside. Through campaigns for the movies and other works, I am happy to be able to witness the moments when she grew." He said with a smiling face. And on the movie, "Perhaps because there was the effect from the marketing message that the background was year 1963, there are many people from middle and elderly age but not so many young people, so I was hoping there would be young people attending this event. The quick heartbeats when one first fell in love with someone do not differ in all ages. I hope [viewers] could get such feelings." He said.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:he said "There is no work and I am free."'

Goddammit.

I guess it's time to go to Japan and punch some people.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

I'm putting $5 on Mr. Tines.

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:19 am

We should start taking bets on which will happen first: 3.0 being finished or Mr. Tines dying of old age.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:38 am

That's a sick sense of humour, Bee.

Fine. That was still sort of funny.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 am

"There is no work and I am free" isn't necessarily a sign of trouble. It could be a natural part of the process -- someone else has to finish their work so he can review it, or maybe the staff is simply taking a scheduled break. Why does everyone always want to think the worst of Anno?

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:14 am

Poor Anno.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 am

Yeah, it's not like he has people wishing suicidal depression on him just for the purposes of their entertainment, right?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:05 am

Usually within animation there tends to be a phase of production where all the creative decisions were already made and the crew just has to execute them, or there's a phase where other various supervising animation directors are animating secondary scenes or background animation. I know there are plenty of times at PIXAR where the directors are bumping around ideas for another director's movie as they wait for the effects team to work their particle/wind/water/lots of other simulations and what-not.

Musical score is another part of production/post-production for animation that doesn't require the director to stand there every day and figure stuff out. Most of the time it's just the composer synthesizing a temporary musical arrangement for a few scenes and playing it back for the director and producer. And in animation, temp score is usually spotted before the animation work is completed. That's partially what was the idea behind the oddly-colored shots in the "Rebuild of 2.02" making of footage. Hideaki Anno was spotting the timing of possible music and editing choices with composer Shiro Sagisu and editor Hirofumi Okuda before spending money on finalizing the animation.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Someone » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:00 am

EH, does this mean PARTAY TIME or DOOM?
Or neither?
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:39 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Why does everyone always want to think the worst of Anno?

Because he's Anno, Master Troll.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:"There is no work and I am free" isn't necessarily a sign of trouble. It could be a natural part of the process -- someone else has to finish their work so he can review it, or maybe the staff is simply taking a scheduled break. Why does everyone always want to think the worst of Anno?

Anyway, according to symbv's translation he said that "there was no progress of EVA ('s production)", it's different from "I have nothing to do right now", it implies that there's some kind of trouble.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Anyway, according to symbv's translation he said that "there was no progress of EVA ('s production)", it's different from "I have nothing to do right now", it implies that there's some kind of trouble.

Anno is probably stuck playing Idolmaster with Miura.
Awesomely Shitty

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”