Power Consumption

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Crash Cortez
Embryo

Power Consumption

•      
  •      

Postby Crash Cortez » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:56 am

I was wondering if anyone out there knew how much "power" it takes to run an Eva? This has all ways stuck in my mind, due to the fact that they would have to have several "things" in place just to use the eva's. They do this visually with the power cables, but they would need some kind of power generation as well that did not connect to the regular power distribution network (it would blow the AR switches every time).

I was watching 1.11 and remember hearing a number in kilowatts (in the billions, which is astronomical) during the Operation Yashima scene for the rifle's power consumption, but unsure if the eva's consumption is ever even mentioned.

1000 W = 1 kW 1000 kw = 1 MW 1000 MW = 1 GW 1.21 GW = time travel 1000 GW = 1 TW

In 1999 the US used 3.23 TW if my math is right this is around the amount of power the rifle used each time. and it recharged in what 8 seconds.

If this post is a "re-run" or should be talked about somewhere else, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks `Crash
Just call me Crash
I just found out I can post with my PSP!

It is my opinion that we should strive for a higher standard here. ~ Reichu

This is the internet, there are no standards. ~Tarnsman replied

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:29 am

r u fuckign serious??
go ask your math teacher!

about evas: they are living shit(powered on always), power is only used to power the things that control/binds (cockpit, plugs, guns, ect) them for humans to properly pilot it with nerve links and stuff, DUHHHRRR~

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 am

^ We don't really know, but i always thought that an Eva without an S^2 is actually dependent on it's outside power source just to function (at least in the original series).

As for the OP's question: the show never addresses the energy consumption of Evangelions, so the question can not be answered. We don't know anything about what amounts of juice is needed to run an Eva, and we have nothing to extrapolate from, either (the rifle has nothing to do with the Eva itself).

I suppose there is a theoretical limit to how much energy can be transferred over a cable/plug system that is used to power the Evas, but without technical specifications, that's meaningless.

Which means, you can think of basically anything, and your guess will be as good as anybody else's.

EDIT:
On the other hand, i might be wrong about the question never being brought up anywhere. Unit-05's startup in 2.0 involved a pretty detailed list of technical specifications, so there might be something in there. Too lazy to make a creencap and look, though.

View Original PostJessemon wrote:And yet Unit 01 works just fine several times in the series w/o an S^2 engine.

Never for a prolonged period until after acquiring the S^2.
Last edited by SaltyJoe on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Crash Cortez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crash Cortez » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Joe.
Just call me Crash

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:^ We don't really know, but i always thought that an Eva without an S^2 is actually dependent on it's outside power source just to function (at least in the original series).

And yet Unit 01 works just fine several times in the series w/o an S^2 engine.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Crash Cortez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crash Cortez » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 am

View Original Postjuaxoo wrote:r u fuckign serious??

I don't think my math teacher watchs eva, But I'll ask just for you
Just call me Crash

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:44 am

View Original PostCrash Cortez wrote:I don't think my math teacher watchs eva, But I'll ask just for you

i hope his/her answer satisfies your ridiculous needs

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 pm

juaxoo, if you have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread, don't post here.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Crash Cortez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crash Cortez » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 pm

well if anyone comes across a screen shot, with some info that would be great.
Just call me Crash

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:15 pm

The correct answer: A LOT.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Since the Evas are basically giant people, I suppose you can get some metabolic data for trim, athletic humans and use that to extrapolate the metabolic requirements for a human that's 70m tall (and however many metric tons heavy). Then covert that into the equivalent electrical input, and add in the amount of energy that would be lost in the conversion from raw electricity to whatever form of energy the Evas' cells use. Then make up some number for the amount of energy required to power the artificial components.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm

View Original Postjuaxoo wrote:r u fuckign serious??

about evas: they are living shit(powered on always), power is only used to power the things that control/binds (cockpit, plugs, guns, ect) them for humans to properly pilot it with nerve links and stuff, DUHHHRRR~

The guns arent powered by anything. The only gun that was powered by something was that Positron Riffle that was used on the 6th angel. To my knowledge,guns arent powered by anything. At least by anything electrical anyway. Could be wrong.

LordEvan88
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordEvan88 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:The guns arent powered by anything. The only gun that was powered by something was that Positron Riffle that was used on the 6th angel. To my knowledge,guns arent powered by anything. At least by anything electrical anyway. Could be wrong.

To be fair, I don't think we know precisely how the Evangelion weapons work, some of them could indeed be electrically powered. But I imagine the power storage necessary could easily outlast the ammunition each gun carries.

I think I remember seeing one of the guns dropping giant shell casings, but I figure a great deal of them would use rail guns or mass drivers. Just seems to make a lot more sense then jamming a dump truck full of explosives into each shell. Especially if you want to penetrate an AT field.

Also the progressive knives must have some sort of battery just like any other hand held phallic vibrating accessory.
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:50 pm

View Original PostLordEvan88 wrote:To be fair, I don't think we know precisely how the Evangelion weapons work, some of them could indeed be electrically powered. But I imagine the power storage necessary could easily outlast the ammunition each gun carries.

I think I remember seeing one of the guns dropping giant shell casings, but I figure a great deal of them would use rail guns or mass drivers. Just seems to make a lot more sense then jamming a dump truck full of explosives into each shell. Especially if you want to penetrate an AT field.

Also the progressive knives must have some sort of battery just like any other hand held phallic vibrating accessory.

Yeah. I wasnt exactly sure if the guns were powered by electricity or not. The only one I knew of for sure was the Prositron Riffle.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:32 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:Yeah. I wasnt exactly sure if the guns were powered by electricity or not. The only one I knew of for sure was the Prositron Riffle.

This one sticks out a bit.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:This one sticks out a bit.
SPOILER: Show

That uses electricity? Didnt know that. Maybe it's because it looks like the string that bow's have.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Crash Cortez, I just remembered that Eva-02 runs off a Nimitz-class carrier's nuclear reactor plant in Episode 08. Those have two reactors with a 550 MW thermal rating (total energy generated as opposed to the energy rating of their turbines) and that gives a total of 1100 MW available for all purposes. However, the energy available for electricity is a much lower fraction. I don't know how powerful the turbogenerators on those vessels are, but the amount of electricity available would be a fraction of the energy the reactor can actually provide. Somewhere within that range is the energy consumption of an Eva.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 pm

the guns are most certainly powered by electricity somewhat, since:

1. they are huge so they probably need assisted cooling

2. evas have the auto-aiming/aim asisstance HUD, that must be synced with the gun (Shinji in ep3 training, we can see the crosshairs locking on the practice targets), so generally the weapons could use some sort of laser sighting or something

3. if you think guns that huge don't need electricity power at all, and it works the same way as normal weapons do (firepowder) then so be it

4. thanks for the pic, reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:That uses electricity? Didnt know that. Maybe it's because it looks like the string that bow's have.

It's an electromagnetic bowgun. And that "string" sure looks like electrical discharges to me. (Remember you're looking at a static screenshot here. Put the movie on and see it in action; I don't feel like making a GIF for this. :p )

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote: Eva-02 runs off a Nimitz-class carrier's nuclear reactor plant in Episode 08. (...) Somewhere within that range is the energy consumption of an Eva.

That's some nice work there, man. :D

Though one possibly confounding factor comes to mind... Eva-02 isn't necessarily 70m tall in episode 08. (Could probably estimate her size based on the ships, but I suck with ships so I'll let somebody else do that.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Since the Evas are basically giant people, I suppose you can get some metabolic data for trim, athletic humans
The one significant figure number is one person at rest radiates 100W of heat (the resting heat generation density of the human body is much higher than that of the sun), and a vague memory from school physics suggests maybe 4 times that in short bursts useful work at high exertion.

Scaling up the simple metabolic background by 35^3 gives somewhat over 4MW -- however then we have to worry about heat dissipation; maybe scaling by area would be more reasonable, so that's only 100kW.

We could also work out some form of useful energy output from the acceleration to supersonic running speeds. Taking a 100kg reference human mass order-of-magnitude gives us a ~4kT Eva; at low-supersonic speeds (350m/s), that's about a quarter of a terajoule of kinetic energy -- implying many GW of power in useful bursts to achieve that speed in seconds, and allowing for inefficiencies.

This is the same simple ratio and proportion work that tells us that GNR's collapse is just as bad in terms of energy dumped into the environment as a dino-killer asteroid strike.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”