Mari piloting Unit-02

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mad Cow Milk
Embryo

Mari piloting Unit-02

Postby Mad Cow Milk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Am I the only one who is a little perplexed by this? This is my first post in these forums, and didn't find it discussed before, but I thought I would mention it.

How is this possible? I thought they needed to sacrifice a relative's soul to create the core of the Eva to allow a sink between the Eva and the pilot. I don't watch fan-subs so pardon my ignorance.

There are only 4 ways I see this possible, but none of them make sense.

1. She has the same mother as Asuka.

2. She has hacked the conrtols to the point where she risks being absorbed allowing a sink with out a proper core. (most likely)

3. Eva units don't need cores to sink with their pilot.

4. She is an angel.

What are your thoughts?

MKM
Last edited by Mad Cow Milk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Mari piloting Unit-02

Postby Sachi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm going to blow your mind right now, so get ready for this; it has been known to kill before: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION =/= NEW THEATRICAL EVANGELION. While many of the rules are the same, we cannot use established canon from the original series onto the new films, so a few of your assumptions have no basis.

Though, in regards to this particular incident. There was a lot of discussion about how Mari could have installed a separate core for Unit-02 (after all, we do see a core removed when Unit-02 is locked away), which would allow her to synchronize with the Eva. I'll have to find that thread.

EDIT: I found some.

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10904
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10533
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9815 <--- The one I was talking about.

View Original PostMad Cow Milk wrote:4. She is an angle.

Definitely this. I'd even go as far as to say she was a Right Angle.
Last edited by Sachi on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

LordEvan88
Adam

Postby LordEvan88 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I didn't think it was impossible to sync with an Eva that did not have their mother in it. Rei does just fine, and Shinji is compatible with Unit-00 just like Rei is with 01.

Plus in the series I can't imagine Toji's Mom was somehow found and stuffed into Unit-03. In the movies there was little question that Asuka could pilot Unit-03 in spite of the core difference.

I believe the Mother-Child connection is necessary to make a very high level sync ratio (Like Asuka's acrobatics in EoE), but is not necessary to Sync period.

Also is the pilot sinking in water or lava? Because I'm pretty sure it will sink in both with standard equipment.
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

Mad Cow Milk
Embryo

Postby Mad Cow Milk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I'm going to blow your mind right now, so get ready for this; it has been known to kill before: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION =/= NEW THEATRICAL EVANGELION. While many of the rules are the same, we cannot use established canon from the original series onto the new films, so a few of your assumptions have no basis.

Though, in regards to this particular incident. There was a lot of discussion about how Mari could have installed a separate core for Unit-02 (after all, we do see a core removed when Unit-02 is locked away), which would allow her to synchronize with the Eva. I'll have to find that thread.

Pardon my dyslexia. I sometimes have wrong word use.

I covered this response as #3 of my possibilities. I know the rules between the two might be different.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 pm

View Original PostMad Cow Milk wrote:Am I the only one who is a little perplexed by this? This is my first post in these forums, and didn't find it discussed before, but I thought I would mention it.

How is this possible? I thought they needed to sacrifice a relative's soul to create the core of the Eva to allow a sink between the Eva and the pilot. I don't watch fan-subs so pardon my ignorance.

There are only 4 ways I see this possible, but none of them make sense.

1. She has the same mother as Asuka.

2. She has hacked the conrtols to the point where she risks being absorbed allowing a sink with out a proper core. (most likely)

3. Eva units don't need cores to sink with their pilot.

4. She is an angle.

What are your thoughts?

MKM

1:No.
2:Doubtful.
3:Wrong.
4:Doubtful.

She can probably synch with Unit 02 because it doesnt have the core anymore and that allows her to pilot it. I dont know. Maybe she can synch with it because she's just that badass.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 pm

View Original PostLordEvan88 wrote:I didn't think it was impossible to sync with an Eva that did not have their mother in it. Rei does just fine, and Shinji is compatible with Unit-00 just like Rei is with 01.

There's actually been a lot of discussion on just this, and we've come up with pretty solid theories. I'll be damned if I could find the threads though. Basically, Unit-00 is universal, because it holds part of Lilith's soul, and Rei can sync with Unit-01 because of her connection with Yui.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mad Cow Milk
Embryo

Postby Mad Cow Milk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 pm

View Original PostLordEvan88 wrote:I didn't think it was impossible to sync with an Eva that did not have their mother in it. Rei does just fine, and Shinji is compatible with Unit-00 just like Rei is with 01.

Plus in the series I can't imagine Toji's Mom was somehow found and stuffed into Unit-03. In the movies there was little question that Asuka could pilot Unit-03 in spite of the core difference.

I believe the Mother-Child connection is necessary to make a very high level sync ratio (Like Asuka's acrobatics in EoE), but is not necessary to Sync period.

Also is the pilot sinking in water or lava? Because I'm pretty sure it will sink in both with standard equipment.

I never thought you needed a Mother-Child, just a relative to pilot it. Who do you think was the core to Unit 03? Give you a hint, the core was said to be easily accessible, or something along those lines in the original series.

I think the reason they thought that unit 00 would work with Shinji was because the core was his half sister, the original Rai. So Ikari being his usual twisted self, probably used Toji's sister for the core for unit 03.

As to sinking with-out a proper core. Yeah I think it *might* have been possible in the original series. They did try to get Kaworu to sink with the core of unit 02, but that might have been just a test of the assumption he was an angel, which should have resulted in a failure.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 pm

View Original PostMad Cow Milk wrote:I never thought you needed a Mother-Child, just a relative to pilot it. Who do you think was the core to Unit 03? Give you a hint, the core was said to be easily accessible, or something along those lines in the original series.

I think the reason they thought that unit 00 would work with Shinji was because the core was his half sister, the original Rai. So Ikari being his usual twisted self, probably used Toji's sister for the core for unit 03.

As to sinking with-out a proper core. Yeah I think it *might* have been possible in the original series. They did try to get Kaworu to sink with the core of unit 02, but that might have been just a test of the assumption he was an angel, which should have resulted in a failure.

Wrong. In both NGE and Rebuild,Toji's sister is alive so it's most likely his mother they used. At least in NGE anyway. I dont think we even know if Unit 03 had a core or not in Rebuild.

Mad Cow Milk
Embryo

Postby Mad Cow Milk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:Wrong. In both NGE and Rebuild,Toji's sister is alive so it's most likely his mother they used. At least in NGE anyway. I dont think we even know if Unit 03 had a core or not in Rebuild.

Really?? What proof is there that Toji's sister is alive? I don't remember EVER seeing her in NGE and is never mentioned after the failed activation of Unit 03.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 am

I think this is the wrong subforum for the Eva-03's Soul thing. (Though FWIW, good ol' NGE2 establishes quite concretely that Toji's sister is still alive after Toji becomes the 4th Children, and that his mother is inside Eva-03.)

I'll also leave these here:

Reichu wrote:The label on [Eva-02's] core says "SENSITIVE HARDWARE CONTAINED INSIDE". While that might be some kind of "euphemism", it does at least imply that "core units" contain something, and, going by the "hardware" analog, that something can be taken out of one container (think of a computer tower) and put into another / swapped with something else...

Reichu wrote:Background jabber when Mari is getting ready to enter Eva-02 (from Eva 2.0 CRC):

??: Final safety systems have been disabled. Removal of all restraining gear is now complete.
??: Entry plug currently moving into position. Thirty seconds to insertion lock position.
??: Core unit automatic reconfiguration sequence has begun.
??: Rewriting access key. The new designated pilot will be registered as Mari Makinami-Illustrious, pass code zero five.
??: Two minutes forty seconds until activation program start.

These appear to be IPEA technicians talking.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 am

View Original PostMad Cow Milk wrote:Really?? What proof is there that Toji's sister is alive? I don't remember EVER seeing her in NGE and is never mentioned after the failed activation of Unit 03.

It's mentioned she is still hospitalized in NGE which means she is still alive and we see what she looks like in Rebuild. But that's enough off topic from me.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 am

The Toji stuff is totally tangential to this subforum, and we already have another thread open for addressing the core unit issue, so I'm locking this.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”