Rei's portrayal in rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:series Rei accomplished more than anything Rebuild Rei drinking her soup

Rebuild!Rei did far more than just drinking soup.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:MISSILE.
Disobeying Misato's orders. (might sound normal/sterotypical, but it's Rei)
And the bastard LEFT HER before that!
(Her trust in him turned out to be rightly placed, but still... She could give Konan and Kabuto from Naruto lessons on undying loyalty. Must be the blue hair.)

...change "MISSILE" to "N2 MINE" and...you got what exactly happened in the series
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Rebuild!Rei did far more than just drinking soup.

-held a shield
-drank soup
-held a core
-made soup
-got eaten
-served as realdoll

I'd say "more" although probably not "far more".
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:-served as realdoll

wat

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:52 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:...change "MISSILE" to "N2 MINE" and...you got what exactly happened in the series

Congratulations, you completely failed to get the meaning of the Missile scene. It LOOKS similar, but it is radically different meaning wise.
It's more like the sacrifice scene from ep 23.
In ep 19, she makes the Kamikaze attack because the situation is bad and she thinks herself to be expendable.

The Missile Scene is the exact oposite: This battle is for some other objective than all her other fights before - the swap from the glasses to the SDAT player should've been an indication, she charges into this battle "under a different flag", so to speak.
This time, she is not putting herself in danger because she thinks it doesn't matter, no, she names a reason for doing so (which, of course, implies that she thinks she needs a reason/motivation to throw away her life, she won't do it "just like that" anymore)
"Ikari-kun should never have to pilot an EVA again! Only for that...." (emphasis mine)
she is not just endangering her life because she thinks its worthless, no, she is giving up something valuable for Shinji. Ass I said, it's like episode 23. (and before you start with "original Rei did that too", I never claimed that Rebuild!Rei was better, just that they're equal/not different)

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:wat

unfortunately, it's the ugly truth

series Rei was more human, ever after we got Rei III
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:59 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:unfortunately, it's the ugly truth

How so? I fail to see the difference. Tell me of that things that Series Rei accomplished, and I'll kindly tell you where to find their Rebuild-Equivalent.

Oh, and keep in mind that anything post first half of ep 23 doesn't count since it (or it's equivalent) hasn't happened in Rebuild yet.
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:unfortunately, it's the ugly truth

asserting something doesn't make it true. realdolls are sex dolls; I don't remember Shinji fucking her like a dead fish

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 pm

well, she's not a fuck doll, but is basically very wishy washy on who she devotes her loyalty (like how she floated from Gendo to Shinji at whim...just because one's screaming for attention to her was louder than the other)

doll like mannerisms

besides, I actually would've preferred if Rebuild Rei was the anti-moe as a symbolic way to kill the moe trope

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:08 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:well, she's not a fuck doll, but is basically very wishy washy on who she devotes her loyalty (like how she floated from Gendo to Shinji at whim...just because one's screaming for attention to her was louder than the other)

doll like mannerisms

...no less wishywashy than what happened in original.

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:besides, I actually would've preferred if Rebuild Rei was the anti-moe as a symbolic way to kill the moe trope

and clearly you don't have any idea of what you're talking about here

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:09 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:well, she's not a fuck doll, but is basically very wishy washy on who she devotes her loyalty (like how she floated from Gendo to Shinji at whim...just because one's screaming for attention to her was louder than the other)

doll like mannerisms

The Rei that was loyal to both died. The clone that replaced her didn't give a fuck about Gendo from the start (glasses crushing)
And how does this apply to Rebuild Rei? Or do you just hate Rei in general?

And if we're talking about deconstructions, if Rebuild!Rei really IS as moeblob-ish as you think, wouldn't she be denying the emotionless-doll-fetishists their fetish material?

Anno was hardly going for moe moe if he created a character with huge boobs, glasses and a headband.... who likes to rip things apart with her teeth.
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:10 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:...no less wishywashy than what happened in original.

that's exactly what I was referring to >_<

Or do you just hate Rei in general?

no, I LIKE Rei, but the Rebuild version needed to be...something different

very different

SPOILER: Show
like Rebuild in the first place
Last edited by GasmaskAvenger on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:12 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:that's exactly what I was referring to >_<

Well why would you criticize Rebuild-Rei but not NGE-Rei for doing the same thing? wat

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Weren't you just saying that Rebuild Rei was too different/didn't accomplish as much?

Make up your mind.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 pm

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:
besides, I actually would've preferred if Rebuild Rei was the anti-moe as a symbolic way to kill the moe trope

Good luck finding someone that is gonna kill the moe trope. Not even Solid Snake at his best.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

CORE
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CORE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:04 pm

I never found Rei moe.. but what some call moe she would be closer to that in Series than Rebuild.
Rebuild is a much more decisive character. There is real indications of wanting to change every thing and do some thing els. While Series Rei was more trapped in her mind. Reis mind is much more decided in Rebuild and has a hardcore side to it.
If you think Rebuild Rei is more damaged/fragile or weaker.. then i don't think you have watched some one grow to deal with things that disabled them before closely enough. Its not about quickly putting on a front or "getting confident" or doing what you think you should. its about healing around your situation like a scab.

I think Rei is probably going to pull Shinji out into the real world (alliterative reality) in a very direct way this time around (less abstract). As she seems to be getting closer to functioning in the real world than any of the characters atm.
I would say hi to her. And forget about my escapist hobbies.

apocrypha
Embryo

Rei's Portrayal in Rebuild

•      
  •      

Postby apocrypha » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Anta baka Seele00TextOnly? Rei is aware of having been born only to serve the needs of others. She is aware that she lacks a complete soul. She has grown up with all the nurturing that a rhesus monkey with a steel mesh mother might receive. And not only feels she is replaceable but knows she is because she has been replaced. If that's not pathetic enough for you, I'll work a little harder next time.
Just Seeing Your Rainy Little Face Makes Me Roll My Eyes and Sigh

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 am

^ The comparison didn't really seem out of place to me. I figured that she probably just views herself as indistinguishable from the other Rei-clones, all of whom btw can be found in Nerv's basement, stored in a tank-like enclosure.

I got the impression that her remark might have been intended as yet another example where 2.22 seems to be referencing material from the original series. I guess it ultimately wouldn't make quite as much sense if the writers decide not to incorporate a Rei-quarium equivalent plot sequence somewhere in the remaining Rebuild films.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:57 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I wasn't saying she's had a happy or good life at all; I was saying the comparison to the fish in the tank was inaccurate. It feels heavy-handed and out of place, even for Eva.

That one line was out of place, but that entire soliloquy in episode 14 that interrupted the action arc didn't feel out of place upon first viewing?
Weird.

Seeing as how we don't know much about Rebuild Rei yet, I'm not sure we can call inaccuracy on anything she relates herself to at this point. Take it as a learning curve about this character and go with it. Does the line feel forced? Yes. But what did you expect from a flat reading of a poignant line? It feels just as forced as her flatly stating "I don't know how to react in situations like this." while Shinji's crying his eyes out in episode 6/end of 1.11. (At least to me it does.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”