Speculation: 3.0 is unlikely to be released this year.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:27 pm

I think I speak for everyone when I say we should just be paitent and let our copies of 1.11 & 2.22 tide us over until we get some news. What do ya'll say?
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:03 pm

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say we should just be paitent and let our copies of 1.11 & 2.22 tide us over until we get some news. What do ya'll say?

Seconded.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:55 pm

If you're all trying to make me cry... it's working. This thread is... it is some kind of high technology tear-generator.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Gainax sure has turned into a bunch of lazy bastards haven't they? Maybe they'll release Final in time for Doomsday 2012.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Gainax sure has turned into a bunch of lazy bastards haven't they? Maybe they'll release Final in time for Doomsday 2012.

Yeah, Gainax would really troll us like that. You said it, man.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I personally think Anno is already laughing at us regardless, since we're apparently Chicken Little Juniors who come up with theories that can't be back up with logical thinking right now.

Come on guys, there's other stuff you can do before some third movie comes out. Just because we have to wait another year for another movie for some particular reason doesn't mean it's time to sing "The Mob Song" and go marching down the street while making a thousand "[insert character here] is [insert temperature here]" threads to pass the time; it's not worth it.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:05 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Gainax sure has turned into a bunch of lazy bastards haven't they? Maybe they'll release Final in time for Doomsday 2012.

But, GAINAX has nothing to do with Rebuild, so they? I thought that was Anno's Studio Kara spear-heading the tetralogy.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:But, GAINAX has nothing to do with Rebuild, so they? I thought that was Anno's Studio Kara spear-heading the tetralogy.

Freaky's right: GAINAX was never responsible for the Rebuild films in the first place...

... oh, and THEY'RE NOT FINISHED YET?! This film better give me a the biggest :scanners_head:

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Freaky's right: GAINAX was never responsible for the Rebuild films in the first place...

:headdesk:

Correction: Anno is a lazy bastard. I feel really stupid now.
Movin' Right Along

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:55 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Come on guys, there's other stuff you can do before some third movie comes out.

:points at "Wiki" link in navbar with wink-wink nudge-nudge look on face:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 am

OR maybe Anno/Kara are simply taking the time to insure that 3.0 is a quality product. We don't know exactly what it is they're working on, after all, or the length. The pressure to meet release dates is part of the reason big budget U.S. films frequently disappoint. If Kara needs another year to get this right, so be it. Also, if Anno was "lazy" he would have stuck to Rebuild's original mission statement and just traced everything again for 2.0. The film would have made as much money.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:OR maybe Anno/Kara are simply taking the time to insure that 3.0 is a quality product. We don't know exactly what it is they're working on, after all, or the length. The pressure to meet release dates is part of the reason big budget U.S. films frequently disappoint. If Kara needs another year to get this right, so be it. Also, if Anno was "lazy" he would have stuck to Rebuild's original mission statement and just traced everything again for 2.0. The film would have made as much money.

I agree. This is purely speculation, but let's think about it. 1.11 was basically just the original 6 episodes with a little trimming and very minor re-direction in character exposition (Shinji, Misato, and Kaworu knowing stuff they didn't know or weren't shown knowing in the show by this point).So pre-production probably didn't take as long since they were basically copy+pasting the script and just coming up with few different shots here and there.

2.22 had more changes, which probably required a longer pre-production. I know Anno had trouble juggling some of the script pacing issues, so a good deal of pre-production was spent on that. and since he doesn't need to have a finished script so the studio can get 22 minutes of animation in time for next weeks episode installment (as he had to do with NGE), he can take his time about it.

And all of those changes in 2.22 mean even more changes for the upcoming 3.0, which is probably leading into an even longer pre-production for script alterations. I'd be surprised if half of the movie were made of remnants from the original show's scripts. And then if they don't mash 3.0 and 4.0 together, this means even more changes to 4.0

Though if they don't mash the two films together, I can't see 4.0 taking longer than 3.0 to produce. If most of this wait is just coming out of pre-production, then they could probably just write an entirely new script based off of the events of the past three movies and not have to deal with any of the issues that come from adapting a previous work. Sure, both take time. But I would think it would take about the same time to write 4.0 as it would ro re-write 3.0.

But if I know anything for sure about pre-production, it's that I can't know anything for sure about pre-production. True creativity is nearly impossible to schedule, and that's the majority of what happens in pre-production. Many filmmakers just admit to running out of time and sticking with what they have by the end of pre-production rather then try to get the studio to extend it another month or so. Production, especially in animation, is merley just the excicution of that creative planning done in pre-production.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Very nice, Freaky. :clap: Pre-production is one the hardest stages in film, and with many changes being made in each EVA film, the story structure has to make sense and has to flow well. I also think Anno has to make each film consistent (very important element in books and films) with each other. I feel a difference between the series and the films: TIMING. While the series had to be on a tough schedule, the films have broader use of timing in order to get the story right. It worked for EoE and it still works for Rebuild. So let Anno take time for 3.0. I want 3.0 and 4.0 to be PERFECT!

CORE
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CORE » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:28 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:The question is if they're making 3.0 right now, or 3.0 and final? Will they be out together, or will they still have Final to make when they finish 3.0?

That's what I want to know.

And if either 3.0 or final is in Stereoscopic 3D :gendo_kimura:

I feel the way they talk of final makes it sound more like a supplement. Than a full film.. But releasing 3.0... then releasing 3.0+final to theater at a later date.. seems to match the way its been mentioned.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Come on guys, there's other stuff you can do before some third movie comes out. Just because we have to wait another year for another movie for some particular reason doesn't mean it's time to sing "The Mob Song" and go marching down the street while making a thousand "[insert character here] is [insert temperature here]" threads to pass the time; it's not worth it.

I say we bring back the episode commentary. You guys left off at episode six or something right? We could do an episode every three weeks until Q comes out.

What do ya say?
Movin' Right Along

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:19 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I say we bring back the episode commentary. You guys left off at episode six or something right? We could do an episode every three weeks until Q comes out.

I was under the impression that most of the commentary project delays have been due to the difficulty in translating the chickenscratch the scripts were written in.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Well I've only been here since December so I'm not expected to know that. It'd be great if we can start it up again though.
Movin' Right Along

die-yng
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby die-yng » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm

I understand they need their time to produce a good movie, but does it have to take this long?
It's not like they are using any groundbreaking new technology which might cause delays.
One might think if they just focused on making 3.0 they'd be able to move it along faster.

I may be harsh in judgement, but after being disappointed in 2.0-2.22,
I want to know wether Rebuild really is for me or if I can just write it off and focus on the original.
"Asuka groaned, palming her face. "First? That's a bagel."
"You're supposed to eat it," Shinji assisted.
Rei looked at them, then back to Ikari-kun, taking in the surprising revelation. Cautiously, she placed her lips around the item in her hand and took a small bite. Wide-eyed, she beheld the bagel with a new reverence.
"You are delicious, Ikari-kun.""
Lucretius and Essel Present: NGE: The Cutting Room Floor

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9090&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/url]

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 pm

View Original Postdie-yng wrote:I understand they need their time to produce a good movie, but does it have to take this long?

Ever heard of "The Thief and the Cobbler" by Richard Williams? That took more than 2 decades to be made since the beginning of the 60s... when Warner took charge in the 80s to distribute and fund the film, he went crazy. Due to his craziness, Warner had to take the work away and was never finished. It could've been a beautiful animated masterpiece ever made. Other companies bastardized the film later on (ever heard of "Arabian Knights"? That's one of the versions). Even "AVATAR" took awhile to have the film done (6-12 years, perhaps). This is nothing compared to what Rebuild's going through. It's fast work.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 pm

^Yeah, but if you rely on visuals to tell a story, good luck getting people interested in the actual movie.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”