Unit 01's Change. SPOILER.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:32 pm

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:That was totally different. In NGE,Eva 01 went berserk on it's own after Shinji pleaded with it to move again. In Rebuild,he forces it to reactivate and as a result,it awakens. There's a difference between of what happened in NGE and Rebuild.

Oh. Okay, that makes sense.

So, (kind of on topic) how did Shinji manage to start Third Impact with just an awakened Unit-01? Did it have something to do with Shinji diving into Zeruel's core?
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:19 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:So, (kind of on topic) how did Shinji manage to start Third Impact with just an awakened Unit-01? Did it have something to do with Shinji diving into Zeruel's core?

That's hazy at best. Two educated guesses here:

- Shinji "made his wish", which is what "Evangelions exist for", as Misato says right before credits roll. It would have been Shinji's wish/will that awakened Unit-01 after the power ran out. The wish of course was: "Give me back Ayanami!" (You see Shinji sitting in darkness, his eyes light up red as he speaks the words, and Unit-01 reactivates.)

- The presence of Rei inside Unit-01. Gendo and Fuyutsuki had a conversation earlier in 2.0, where they suggested Rei could pilot Unit-01, but dismissed it because "it would be very risky". (The Third Impact-like explosion above Unit-01, including floating debris does not start until Shinji had pulled Rei out of Zeruel's core and into Unit-01.)

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 pm

...so it relates to Eva-01 having two cores. I'm guessing this is very different from Seele's version of Third Impact.
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:...so it relates to Eva-01 having two cores. I'm guessing this is very different from Seele's version of Third Impact.

Probably,since this third impact would of wiped out all of humanity while Seele's would most likely fuse everyone into one being. Well,that's what I'm guessing there version would be since it's possible it might be different in Rebuild then the TV series.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:54 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:- The presence of Rei inside Unit-01.

This, I'd say. With Rei Soul Fragment 1 (Ayanami) + Rei Soul Fragment 2 (Unit 00) + Probable Lilith Clone (Unit 01) + Halo/Energy Condenser/Angel Thingy, what you have is basically an unrestrained Lilith (perhaps imbued with the Fruit of Life, too), driven by a wish for solitude and security to those within it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:This, I'd say. With Rei Soul Fragment 1 (Ayanami) + Rei Soul Fragment 2 (Unit 00) + Probable Lilith Clone (Unit 01) + Halo/Energy Condenser/Angel Thingy, what you have is basically an unrestrained Lilith (perhaps imbued with the Fruit of Life, too), driven by a wish for solitude and security to those within it.

Friend, I think you nailed it.

3 internets to you.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:23 pm

The red on the bands were problably to represent DANGER !!! THE SHIT IS GOING DOWN !!! Some sort of visual warning the eva is going haywire, i don't remember right now, but does maya in her obnoxious fashion report some change or alteration in the eva like in the series with her awesome wi-fi portable-pc-that-operates-even-after-a-blast-has-destroyed-the-whole base-thus-any-communication-antenna ?

Makes you wonder if the other evas have that function as well (other then just being a visual piece for the public),maybe explain why they have diferent colour bands, rather then just being a aesthetic visual break down of colour pattern.
ANATA BAKA !?

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:47 am

I'd rather not start a new topic because the question stays within the bounds of the same epic battle,

Any thoughts on Mari bieng like Asuka when she pilots Unit 02?

Certainly not as severe in terms of damage taken, however she does get the right eye damaged. The opposite of Asuka's left eye when it was impaled.

Just wanting to get feedback on this one.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 am

View Original Postwonderluster wrote:Certainly not as severe in terms of damage taken, however she does get the right eye damaged. The opposite of Asuka's left eye when it was impaled.

In EoE, Unit-02 got stabbed in the the left eye, and the right arm was split in two by a lance. Asuka also sustained these injuries.

In Rebuild 2.0, Unit-02 had one of its right eyes gouged out (it has 4 eyes, remember?), and its left arm severed. I don't recall seeing Mari injured on her left arm (although she did feel pain there when Unit-02 sustained the injury), but she did have a bleeding scalp wound on the right side of her face.

Yes, this is mirrored: left eye & right arm vs. right eye & left arm. I don't know what this says about Mari, but I do know two things:

1. Unit-01 sustained a right eye & left arm injury multiple times, both in the series and in Rebuild. This creates a parallel between Shinji and Mari.

2. Asuka's injuries in EoE were the mirror image of Rei's injuries in Episode 1 (and any other time Rei was seen in bandages). Since Rebuild 1.0 showed Rei in different bandages (right eye, right arm), perhaps Asuka will appear with a left eye, left arm injury in 3.0. After all, they're portrayed as opposite, and we've already seen the eyepatch over her left eye.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:07 am

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Since Rebuild 1.0 showed Rei in different bandages (right eye, right arm)

Her injuries in 1.0 are the same as in the series.

Here's a relevant pic from NGE:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 am

whoa your version is better then mine, what dvd set is that from ?
ANATA BAKA !?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:37 am

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:So when it goes back to green, that means that it's now un-awakened? .

No, it just isn't using the "awakened" powers anymore, but it still has them and would probably not need any power cable if you removed the spear.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:40 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Her injuries in 1.0 are the same as in the series.

It's high time I rewatched the series then. I've made too many wrong assumptions about it. (It's been years.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Ba-da-bump.

Was working on a page for Eva-01's "Pseudo-Evolution" (I'm serious, that's what it's called) today and I vomited up a bunch of stuff for an Analysis section (that probably belongs somewhere else, but w/ever). Want to run it by everyone.

First:

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:This, I'd say. With Rei Soul Fragment 1 (Ayanami) + Rei Soul Fragment 2 (Unit 00) + Probable Lilith Clone (Unit 01) + Halo/Energy Condenser/Angel Thingy, what you have is basically an unrestrained Lilith (perhaps imbued with the Fruit of Life, too), driven by a wish for solitude and security to those within it.

I think this makes too many assumptions based on the original show, though the "wish for solitude and security" thing is probably in the right place. Also, Azathoth, I should point out that "energy condensate" refers to the Eva, not the halo. The halo would be the "giant swell" in Ritsuko's speech, if anything.

Anyway, here's my current "Analysis" section (go to the article for the rest):

The pseudo-evolved Eva-01 bears a strong resemblance to the Adams, which are similarly winged, red-eyed "radiant giants" -- one of whom possesses a third eye, as well. Ritsuko says that Eva-01 is "regaining its original form", which falls in line with "pseudo-evolution"; that is, Eva-01 is not moving forward, but going backwards. Third Impact is also said to be a continuation of the Second, and Misato directly compares Eva-01's wings to the ones she saw fifteen years before. One potential implication is that Eva-01 is one of the Adams.

It is unclear precisely why Eva-01 becomes an agent of the world's destruction in response to Shinji's wish, although earlier in the film Rei said that "Eva is a mirror that reflects your heart." Further elaboration may also be found in Gendo's statement as he and Fuyutsuki look upon the devastated South Pole, "there are also those who desired this disastrous outcome. A world untainted by original sin that no man may enter." (Emphasis added.) Incidentally, the music piece that plays during Eva-01's awakening is entitled "Sin From Genesis".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I very much hope the Eva's are the Adams instead of the kids.

It would be hard to justify ALL of the Evas corresponding to individual Adams, since there are only four of them and many more Evas, but the evidence for Eva-01 at least seems rather strong so far. This could also explain the mysterious chalk outline at the beginning of 1.0, which appears to belong to a giant humanoid that washed up on Japan's shore in the aftermath of Second Impact. So, possibly: Eva-01 had been the 3-eyed Adam, 2I was disrupted somehow and the "energy condensate" Adams "burned out" into regular flesh, and in the flood that followed (whatever exactly caused that) their bodies went all over the place.

I think it's still possible that the pilots could be imbued with Adams' souls or something weird like that, but that's pretty nebulous territory right now.

I'd overlooked the stuff about 'reverting' as sort of a clone of the 'it's breaking free of what we use to bind it' thing; nice to see this possibility.

To be honest, it didn't really occur to me either until I paid closer attention to the "pseudo-evolution" thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

In the Biblical texts of Revelations, the "Great Prostitute" is depicted as a great being with "purple velvet (or something like that) and scarlet", and the words "Babylon, Babylon, the Mysterious" on her head. Not sure where the writing goes on Unit-01, but the change from purple and green to purple and red is clearly a Biblical reference.

I don't know how anyone could have possibly missed that. AT ALL.

...Wait.

This means that EVA-01 is a prostitute.
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Tabby-chan wrote:...Wait.

This means that EVA-01 is a prostitute.

Actually, that may be right. Not in the sense that you meant it, but right nonetheless. After all, Eva-01 DID do all that stuff just for Shinji (money in terms of a prostitute).

Reichu wrote:It would be hard to justify ALL of the Evas corresponding to individual Adams...

Well, maybe the Evas don't correspond to the Adams. Perhaps Eva-01/Eva-08, the giant in the basement, Eva-06, and Kaworu are the 4 Adams. It's very difficult to know for sure until 3.0 and Final are released.

Marduk
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marduk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 am

I just had a thought: at the end of the battle with Zeruel, Unit-01 sustains an injury that causes Shinji to have massive Hematemesis (vomiting blood). I'm guessing that, at this point, Shinji actually died and had his soul absorbed by the Eva, putting him effectively in control and granting him phenomenal cosmic powers; with everything that goes with it.

Augh! I can't believe I just referenced Aladdin of all things! >:V
"Marduk's Law": "As a Rebuild discussion grows longer, the probability of mentioning the Sequel Theory approaches 1."
Anno Peractio: Age of Conclusion

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 am

View Original PostMarduk wrote:I just had a thought: at the end of the battle with Zeruel, Unit-01 sustains an injury that causes Shinji to have massive Hematemesis (vomiting blood). I'm guessing that, at this point, Shinji actually died and had his soul absorbed by the Eva, putting him effectively in control and granting him phenomenal cosmic powers; with everything that goes with it.

Augh! I can't believe I just referenced Aladdin of all things! >:V

I really doubt that's what happened. He doesnt become a soul until after he saves Rei and Third Impact is begining.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”