Unit 01's Change. SPOILER.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

Unit 01's Change. SPOILER.

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 am

So Eva Unit 01 gets in a nasty little scrap with Zeruel and in the end runs out of power, Shinji wills Yui back into action and then she changes color. Now What I'm thinking is that the armor or binding is actually genetically grafted to the Eva, a bio plating so to say. I mean like, I'm not really sure how else to explain the colour change. Yes I understand that (fake) God like powers have been achieved but that's like saying Shinji can change the LCL from orange to blue. Also, when ZA BEASTO was activated, it would seem that the plating itself actually shrunk, I would doubt that it dissolved because any kind of acid might potentially damage the Eva as well, and even if it were to be burned away, where's the acid coming from? Not the limiters, cause those already have a purpose.

If this has been brought up already, do link me in, I haven't been around for a few months.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Evangelion 01
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion 01 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

...But doesn't it change back to it's normal colors after Kaworu spears it?
Shinji/Rei/Mana shipper and fan of Evangelions 00,01 and 03

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:04 pm

View Original PostEvangelion 01 wrote:...But doesn't it change back to it's normal colors after Kaworu spears it?

Yes. More a stylistic change than anything, I would think - although there is also the possibility that the change from green to red signifies a change of control from Yui (green eyes) to Shinji (Angel eyes).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:16 pm

@Azathoth: I don't think green eyes have actually been confirmed for Eva-01 in NME as of yet. Though, regarding the red, it could possibly be continuing a "tradition" from NGE, wherein red eyes were used to indicate an Eva was activating under "possession" (Eva-03/Bardiel, Eva-01/DP, Eva-02/Kaworu), for lack of a better term.

I don't think the armor changing color means it has any special properties... The Evas' non-organic parts always did weird shit they really shouldn't be able to.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:@Azathoth: I don't think green eyes have actually been confirmed for Eva-01 in NME as of yet.

Probably not, actually, but Yui still had green eyes so I think the color change works at least symbolically.

View Original PostReichu wrote:I don't think the armor changing color means it has any special properties... The Evas' non-organic parts always did weird shit they really shouldn't be able to.

Yeah. I seem to recall that in NGE, the arm armor magically zaps back into one piece during the Sachiel fight - which actually got replaced by some weird meat shenanigans in NME.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Azathoth wrote:Yeah. I seem to recall that in NGE, the arm armor magically zaps back into one piece during the Sachiel fight - which actually got replaced by some weird meat shenanigans in NME.

And the reverse for the Zeruel battle. Meat shenanigans in NGE and insta-glow-generate in NME. Maybe that (and the halo) has something to do with the color change.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Azathoth: The "meat shenanigans" in 1.XX also repaired the artificial components. So the end result isn't much different from NGE. Yeah...

AshPhoenix: The color change in 2.XX happened almost immediately after Eva-01 reactivated. It took a bit longer for the halo to manifest.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

We see a speared EVA 01 in the Q trailer. Wasn't it green again in that pic?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby bigbadtyrant » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:43 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:We see a speared EVA 01 in the Q trailer. Wasn't it green again in that pic?

that is correct.
From the shadows i come!!!

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:54 pm

So verdict being that it was God powers and no possibility of bio armor?

Y'know....Dem GN Tau Particles....All Orange and what naught....

EDIT

Now since we're on the topic of that god scene anyway and I don't want to seem like an utter jerkbag startin another topic,

When did Rei get the tape player? Also, since there was a close up on the player as she was exiting the core as opposed to simply showing it as she was inside the core, do you think it's going to have some kind of effect on 3.0/Q? Very much like Rei decided to choose Shinji instead of Gendo in EoE, but maybe in a less...Grope-esque/brutalized fasion.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:19 pm

View Original Postwonderluster wrote:When did Rei get the tape player?

Physically speaking, she picks it up out of the trash after Shinji throws it away post storming out on Gendou/Nerv. But certainly the actual tape player got mangled to fuck when Unit 00 got eaten; it's just another symbol of escapism in a scene already choking on them.

View Original Postwonderluster wrote:Also, since there was a close up on the player as she was exiting the core as opposed to simply showing it as she was inside the core, do you think it's going to have some kind of effect on 3.0/Q?

The implication being that Rei is succumbing to her desire for a mother/security/etc. just as much as Shinji is, by refusing to accept the "you're dead and also an alien god" thing in favor of being Shinji's doll.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 am

View Original Postwonderluster wrote:When did Rei get the tape player? Also, since there was a close up on the player as she was exiting the core as opposed to simply showing it as she was inside the core, do you think it's going to have some kind of effect on 3.0/Q?

She picks it out of a trash container after the Bardiel incident and keeps it as a memento to Shinji. We see it in her entry plug when she charges into Zeruel and says she'd sacrifice herself just so Shinji wouldn't have to get into pilot an EVA ever again. We'll most likely see it floating in the Plug in Q (much like Shinji's plugsuit in ep 21 - whether the player was physically destroyed is little of a problem - As you should recall, Shinji wasn't wearing any Plugsuit in 19.)

The Rei that rejected Gendo was no III, no II stayed loyal to him until her death (she still claimed she'd die for him in ep 22 and saw a flash of him shortly before her death - and there's that aparition of her in EoE that picks up Gendo's orange glasses after he dies and holds them close to her heart. ) and so far, Rebuild!Rei's loyalty hasn't shifted either - she tried to bring the two of them together.
The player is meant to illustrate

a) That Rei was fighthing for Shinji in the Zeruel battle - she wasn't risking her life because she thought it was worthless: Naming a reason to blow herself up means that she needs a reason for it/wouldn't do it "just like that" anymore - But her loved ones are even more valuable to her.
It shows how unconditional her love for Shinji really is: Even if he leaves her to sulk in his corner (as lampshaded by Misato), she'd still blow herself up for him - and her trust in him was rewarded/her high opinion of him justified as he went to save her.

b) That player represents Shinji/it has always been an indicator of how he feels. In Rebuild, it even has the same backstory: It used to be Gendo's, but Gendo threw it away ("Just like me") as noted by Shinji.
He used to use it to 'protect himself from the world', but has comer to the realization that neither his father nor the player will protect him from anything - he states that he hates the world and gives up not only on the world, but also on himself:
Shinji was thrown away by Gendo now, but now, he is throwing HIMSELF away/leaving his life with hope and company to go back to his 'easier' life where he 'just exists' (with his teacher)
By throwing the player into the trash, he's throwing himself into the trash.
But Rei doesn't think he's trash. To her, Shinji is a valuable Person, and she wants to have a part of him to remember him by, so she grabs the player out of the trashbin and treasures it just like Gendo's glasses.
Rei acts in her function of 'hope' here (see EoE)

When he went to save Rei, Shiji finally decided to ACT and just TRY to do something instead of just whining about not being able to do anything - As Enokido put it in his interview, the last scene is "all about salvation" - Salvation for Rei II (She gets told that she's unique and pulled out of Zeruel), but also salvation for Shinji - he's redeemed himself by dropping his passiveness, he sort of saves himself along with Rei = pulls the player out along with her.
A few scenes ago, he said he didn't have anyone to smile with. In the end, we see him smiling with Rei in his arms.
In the beginning, Rei says that she can "only exist in a small space". In the final scene, those words are repeated, but this time, she is ripped from the underworld.

Taiga_Shinjiro
Embryo

moods?

•      
  •      

Postby Taiga_Shinjiro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 am

Perhaps Unit 01's armour changes colour to reflect her moods?

Purple= neutral
Red- angry

lol.
Blue= depressed
Yellow=happy.

Its not a serious reply, but I've often thought of doing a artpiece depicting an Eva's mood swing.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: moods?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 am

View Original PostTaiga_Shinjiro wrote:Perhaps Unit 01's armour changes colour to reflect her moods?

Purple= neutral
Red- angry

lol.
Blue= depressed
Yellow=happy.

Its not a serious reply, but I've often thought of doing a artpiece depicting an Eva's mood swing.

LOL But actually, the purple stays right where it is, so 'green' should be neutral XD
And don't forget pink = horny

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:42 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:LOL But actually, the purple stays right where it is, so 'green' should be neutral XD
And don't forget pink = horny

I would doubt that the armor would actually reflect how Yui reacts in a situation because in 1.0, Unit 01 went berserk and there was no armor change, it simply stayed green as Sachy got his ass ripped out. Then again, the breast plating on Unit 01 was changed, maybe the physics of the armor was changed as well.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:05 pm

View Original Postwonderluster wrote:I would doubt that the armor would actually reflect how Yui reacts in a situation because in 1.0, Unit 01 went berserk and there was no armor change, it simply stayed green as Sachy got his ass ripped out. Then again, the breast plating on Unit 01 was changed, maybe the physics of the armor was changed as well.

I never seriously suggested this. I was replying to the idea with the fun comic XD

The red is probably something exclusive to GodMode.

Octahedron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Octahedron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 pm

The green on the armour doesn't seem to be just any paint, it also glows in dark. So maybe it's actually some form of luminescent material embedded on the armour that can change the colout of light it emits. The change from green to red is probably meant as a warning that the Eva has awakened and is now operating with it's full potential (ie. it's for all intentets and purposes an Angel).

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm

0ctahedron wrote:The change from green to red is probably meant as a warning that the Eva has awakened and is now operating with it's full potential (ie. it's for all intentets and purposes an Angel).

So when it goes back to green, that means that it's now un-awakened? Maybe the awakening principle works differently in NME. I mean, just having Eva-01 awaken didn't cause 3rd Impact in NGE. Maybe the "awakenings" in NGE and NME are different somehow.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:20 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:So when it goes back to green, that means that it's now un-awakened? Maybe the awakening principle works differently in NME. I mean, just having Eva-01 awaken didn't cause 3rd Impact in NGE. Maybe the "awakenings" in NGE and NME are different somehow.

God damn Im getting fat. I'm so back to forums.

I'm slamming my bio armor theory down once more, the technological aspect quite clearly portrays when the Eva is active through some type of power source and as a result glows. When it runs our of power, it dims. As a signal to some kind of problem, maybe not just "God Mode" it turns red. Like a blue LED on a device of some sort will turn red to show that it's running out of power.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:26 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:So when it goes back to green, that means that it's now un-awakened? Maybe the awakening principle works differently in NME. I mean, just having Eva-01 awaken didn't cause 3rd Impact in NGE. Maybe the "awakenings" in NGE and NME are different somehow.

That was totally different. In NGE,Eva 01 went berserk on it's own after Shinji pleaded with it to move again. In Rebuild,he forces it to reactivate and as a result,it awakens. There's a difference between of what happened in NGE and Rebuild.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”