Evangelion 2.0 North American Screening Dates

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
purplepolecat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby purplepolecat » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:ANN and Eleven Arts Inc are giving away tickets to the 2.0 screenings in Canada. There are five free tickets available for each of the cinemas detailed in the link, adding up to a total of 245 available free tickets. If you're interested, follow the instructions on the linked page.

...and I am one of the lucky winners !

I hope the turnout is better than it was for 1.0. It's great that there are 5 theaters showing it in metro Vancouver, but this spreads the otaku pretty thin. At least I know there will be a minimum of 4 other people.

Joe1138
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Joe1138 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm

For whatever reason I couldn't buy tickets online through UltraStar's website for the Jan. 20th screening in Anaheim so I wound up driving over this afternoon although it looks like they have now fixed any problems their system may have been encountering. :rolleyes: Oh well. Can't wait to get my Eva fix next week!

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 pm

View Original Postpurplepolecat wrote:...and I am one of the lucky winners!

Congratulations. You'll have a great time.
Voluntary Illusion.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 pm

just to clear up some of the confusion about whether it will dubbed or subbed, the representative for Funi, Rojas, posted this comment on in the funi blog.

Rojas on January 14th, 2011 at 12:23 pm says:

In coordination with the theatrical and home video release as well as materials, the theatrical showings of Evangelion 2.0 will all be the English subtitled version. The English dubbed version will be screened on a case-by-case basis at various conventions.

source:[url]http://blog.funimation.com/2011/01/evangelion-1-11-2-22-screening-at-c2e2/[/url]
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Funimation needs to hire someone who can communicate English better. What on earth does "as well as materials" mean?

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:just to clear up some of the confusion about whether it will dubbed or subbed, the representative for Funi, Rojas, posted this comment on in the funi blog.

source:[url]http://blog.funimation.com/2011/01/evangelion-1-11-2-22-screening-at-c2e2/[/url]

Interesting..... So what they said is that all Evangelion 2.0 showings that we can expect next week will be subtitled? Awesome! I prefer watching the Japanese dub anyways. Well really it doesnt matter to me as long as i get to watch Eva 2.0 on the big screen!!!

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm

If only my SAT wasn't on the 22nd. I would still probably not go just because I'm too lazy to drive out and see it.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:35 am

I might be going on thursday. I just need to ask a friend if I can stay at his house after the movie sinve he lives near the theatre.
Not who you think I am.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:10 pm

I've gotta ask: Why do they bother with screenings in North America? Are the ten dollars in total ticket sales really worth it? Why not simply go straight to blue ray and DVD?

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:I've gotta ask: Why do they bother with screenings in North America? Are the ten dollars in total ticket sales really worth it? Why not simply go straight to blue ray and DVD?

This way, it can get more amusing reactions from mainstream US film reviewers.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I believe Khara forces them to do it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 pm

According to EvaMonkey, (this time around??) Khara isn't forcing them to do it, but Funimation is showing the film in theaters because they want to.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:28 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:According to EvaMonkey, (this time around??) Khara isn't forcing them to do it, but Funimation is showing the film in theaters because they want to.

This hardly classifies as being shown in theaters. One night showings in single locations is barely even a release. It's more like one guy calling 4 or 5 theaters and saying "lol can I borrow one of your rooms today? kthxbai"
Funimation's "theatrical releases" are a joke. Yes I mad.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:01 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:This hardly classifies as being shown in theaters. One night showings in single locations is barely even a release. It's more like one guy calling 4 or 5 theaters and saying "lol can I borrow one of your rooms today? kthxbai"
Funimation's "theatrical releases" are a joke. Yes I mad.

What do you want them to do? I don't know industry financials, but there's a reasonable possibility that these screenings will break even or make a profit, and this way people get to enjoy the film in theaters. It costs them very little, since most advertising is by word-of-mouth, and it means they might get some money from people who wouldn't purchase the Blu-ray.

How many people heard of Summer Wars because of their Oscar qualification effort?

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:It costs them very little, since most advertising is by word-of-mouth, and it means they might get some money from people who wouldn't purchase the Blu-ray.

Very true. I actually purchased my tickets for Eva 2.0 which happens to be showing in a theater just a few minutes away from where I live. THis time it would seem Funimation and the theater guys are a bit more serious with advertising. Stickers advertising for Eva 2.0's one night engagement cover the main entrance and plus the Eva 2.0 poster is right next to the ticket stand.

Never saw any of this when 1.0 aired a year and a half ago.....

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:36 pm

I am extremely happy because its airing 5 minutes from my apartment in Indianapolis Friday Saturday and Sunday. I'm also planning on bringing at least 3 people with me.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:What do you want them to do? I don't know industry financials, but there's a reasonable possibility that these screenings will break even or make a profit,

It's showing in an art house theater in NC, so the way I see it Funimation is attempting to reach those interested in independent works or foreign films that don't get wide releases in the States. There is a safe profit margin by targeting said theaters with this product, as not most areas of the States don't consider anime a cultural norm. Parts on NC are, as is Oregon and parts in the North East and along the West Coast have pockets of anime fans that are targeted by anime conventions and such. It's safe to assume with, a few exceptions, that if an anime convention never graces your state throughout the year that you probably won't get a theatrical release in that state.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:40 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It's showing in an art house theater in NC, so the way I see it Funimation is attempting to reach those interested in independent works or foreign films that don't get wide releases in the States.
Also, it's a lot cheaper to book independent and arthouse theaters.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 pm

^ Yes. Profitable wins for Funi. I think I can get a caravan organized so my anime group can travel 2-hours to see Evangelion 2.22 all the way in Greensboro, NC.

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:38 pm

View Original Postslothen wrote:I am extremely happy because its airing 5 minutes from my apartment in Indianapolis Friday Saturday and Sunday. I'm also planning on bringing at least 3 people with me.

That's where I'll be seeing it.

My parents actually decided to come, too. O_O This will be their first introduction to Eva. (I'll show them 1.11 the night before.) I'd try to bring more people, but I doubt anyone else I know will be in town that weekend.

I couldn't figure out any way to get tickets in advance from the theater. I figure there won't be too many other anime fans in Indiana, though...?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”