Fall is upon us: what are you doing? (2010)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Christmas is almost upon us everybody!!

So that's what I'm doing right now in fall, getting psyched for Christmas.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Cesario
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cesario » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 pm

gawd... holidays...
i just hope i can pick up more shifts at work so i get to work thru this silly season
ppl start going mentally deranged this time of year, it hurts to watch them, so id rather work thru it :P
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people often appear smart untill they open their mouth...

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:getting psyched for Christmas.

I love Christmas. Not for all of the presents and all that though; I just like the atmosphere that comes along with it. Hell, I even like the cheesy holiday music they insist on playing over the Satellite Radio all day at work.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Christmas is almost upon us everybody!!
please oh please oh please

TAP...TEH...BRAKES

wait until Black Friday, it's not even Halloween yet, good gravy
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:46 pm

I spend 364 days a year looking forward to Christmas. Once October hits it's really time to be getting ready. I love Christmas music on the radio, our local station starts playing about a week before December. And I love it because of the feeling, because I don't enjoy winter so much... once Christmas passes it's like >.>

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:13 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I love Christmas music on the radio, our local station starts playing about a week before December.
SPOILER: Show
sorry, not be a grinch or anything, but much of the Christmas muzak just annoys me

some of it is good, but even when it is good, it gets repetitive and loses its special quality

I think there is a reason we only hear it a month or so out of a year
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:24 pm

I agree, it's not for everybody. Most people can only handle a month of it. I'm one of the few that absolutely loves it. The spirit of it, the atmosphere, everything. It's not for everyone, but I try to keep the Christmas cheer all year ^_^

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:26 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:but much of the Christmas muzak just annoys me

That's okay Hal. I still love you; even if you do hate Jesus music.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I6xkVRWzCY

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:48 am

Fuck you, bureaucracy, fuck you. I'm so pissed off at this whole tirade.

OK, I'll tell you everything from the beginning. Since I won't be doing the military service I have to replace it with civil service (which is basically one month of "training" and 10 months of work). During civil service I can't study at all, that's what the law says. Now I'm trying to make it so that I can complete it at the local library (would be the easiest budgetwise) so I've been working there - not as a full-time worker, but it's "work practice". That means I'm not paid by the library, but by the government.

Because of that and because I am a man under 25 who is not currently studying the government tells me to apply for THREE schools of vocational education so that I can get my payment for the work practice. I struggled with this over a month ago and they told me I don't have to apply for the schools, but it has changed again.

In short, my frustration comes from these points:
- I can't be studying because I have to do my civil service
- The civil service is hard to get in the place of my choosing, takes time - which forces me to work somehow
- But because I'm doing that I AM FORCED to apply for THREE schools (which are not even universities - which I am aiming for in reality) just because there is a program "encouraging young people like me to study more"

So, what the fuck they want me to do? Involuntary service or study (or else I'm not paid for my WORK)? GG, Finland. That's one fucked up system.

Basically I can reject the schools I will be applying for, but this is still bullshit because it will take up a lot of my time for no reason.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:22 pm

^ Just fuck it all and become a degenerate gambler like I did (I know there are quite a few successes that have come out of Finland recently, like Juha Helppi and Patrik Antonius). It pays better, and I have loads (well, less these days) of free time to play and study.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:36 pm

That sucks, Oz.

Over here, the government doesn't give a shit about you after high school. Better/worse in general? I dunno.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Jimbo: I have a contract that still ties me to this job until the 29th of October - and if I didn't apply for anything I wouldn't be paid for my work starting on the 16th. Besides, I'm not a gambler and will never be one.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:02 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Besides, I'm not a gambler and will never be one.
Not true. Everyone gambles in life by the mere act of making decisions. Maybe the odds and what's at stake isn't always apparent, but it's still omnipresent. That said, only losers gamble; winners invest. I'm an investor, not a gambler. Sometimes you have to be a gambler first, though.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Kutta
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Kutta » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 am

Gambling = accepting negative expected value bets = being stupid.

Poker: zero sum competitive game with systematic gains and losses depending on skill levels. It is sport rather than gambling, I think, though at low skill levels it has got gambling-ish facets.
If I were to ask you on a date, would your answer be the same as your answer to this question?

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:10 am

Ahhh Fall... my least favorite of all the months... god damned fucken leaves everywhere... i be outside raking them up every weekend but they just keep coming those bastards every year lol... and christmas... man its not christmas season yet, hell its barely halloween season
IS AMAZING.... Better than cotton candy... NO WAY JOSE

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:59 am

Jimmy, how does one go about being a desperate gambler? I could use some extra money, and I don't like leaving the house because people exist, and I hate those things.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:39 am

Jimbo, I have only one way to reply to that: :facepalm:

SPOILER: Show
D-URR GAMBLING IN LIFE
Last edited by Oz on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:19 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:That said, only losers gamble; winners invest.

Investments of any sort (even of the "in yourself" variety) are still gambles. The monetary value or future benefits of any action or purchase are subject to the inscrutable mechanisms of life.

...unless I misread you and you're trying to make some distinction between high risk vs. low risk options, I suppose.
Last edited by NemZ on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:20 am

Education is always better

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”