How did you choose your username?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Years upon years ago when I first got AOL I had to choose a username. All the neat Goku ones I came up with were already taken. I was hoping to get a Goku one since, well, I was just getting into DBZ and he was by far my favorite character.

Well, that jsut wasn't going to happen so the next DBZ male I thought of that looked bad ass was Yamcha. So I came up with the ancient name yamchassj4 (which is what I used when I was on Evangelion.com back an eon and a half ago.)

A couple years later and AOL effed my family over (even threatening to sue us over something) and we ended up getting a new account or something screwy, I can't quite remember if we dropped AOL altogether then or not... Doesn't matter since I was still using AIM as my messenger of choice. I decided to mix it up a bit and named myself Eternal Yamcha since I thought it sounded about an infinity times cooler than yamchassj4 (and so people would quit calling me yamchass >.< bastards.)

Ever since then, that's been my user/screen name. I did end up getting screwed by AIM somehow and had to make a new account which I named TheEternalYamcha only to try my old Eternal Yamcha s/n a year later to find that it was working again >.<

So yeah, I've been Eternal Yamcha for quite some time now, I forget just how long since it was right around the turn of the century that it happened. God, I love how I can say that and mean 1999/2000 as opposed to 1899/1900.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:35 pm

ferrarimanf355 wrote:tifosiotaku (a portmenteau of tifosi, the stereotypical Ferrari F1 fan, and otaku, a term that should be familiar to most of you here.).

If you really are trying to say that "tifosiotaku" is a "portmanteau", you are making a ginormous mistake.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Eternal Yamcha wrote:Years upon years ago when I first got AOL I had to choose a username. All the neat Goku ones I came up with were already taken. I was hoping to get a Goku one since, well, I was just getting into DBZ and he was by far my favorite character.

Well, that jsut wasn't going to happen so the next DBZ male I thought of that looked bad ass was Yamcha. So I came up with the ancient name yamchassj4 (which is what I used when I was on Evangelion.com back an eon and a half ago.)

A couple years later and AOL effed my family over (even threatening to sue us over something) and we ended up getting a new account or something screwy, I can't quite remember if we dropped AOL altogether then or not... Doesn't matter since I was still using AIM as my messenger of choice. I decided to mix it up a bit and named myself Eternal Yamcha since I thought it sounded about an infinity times cooler than yamchassj4 (and so people would quit calling me yamchass >.< bastards.)

Ever since then, that's been my user/screen name. I did end up getting screwed by AIM somehow and had to make a new account which I named TheEternalYamcha only to try my old Eternal Yamcha s/n a year later to find that it was working again >.<

So yeah, I've been Eternal Yamcha for quite some time now, I forget just how long since it was right around the turn of the century that it happened. God, I love how I can say that and mean 1999/2000 as opposed to 1899/1900.

You do know thats why their called AOHell, right?

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:56 pm

Reichu wrote:
ferrarimanf355 wrote:tifosiotaku (a portmenteau of tifosi, the stereotypical Ferrari F1 fan, and otaku, a term that should be familiar to most of you here.).

If you really are trying to say that "tifosiotaku" is a "portmanteau", you are making a ginormous mistake.

It's a combination. Whatever. If that's not the correct word, then what is it, then? :?
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:12 pm

ferrarimanf355 wrote:It's a combination. Whatever. If that's not the correct word, then what is it, then? :?

"Tifosi" got compounded in the arse.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:29 pm

From the listening to now thread
Ornette wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Ornette wrote:Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

Probably been close to a decade since I've listened (really listened) to this, simply amazing. Forgotten how awesome this album was.

I recently listened to the first 10 minutes or so of that in the dark. Quite the expereince, I tell you.

So, is your online handle from a musician of some sort?

Yes, sort of. I used my 2nd online handle which was my 7+ year old Everquest character's name "Ornette Coalman", which was named after the avante garde Jazz musician. Back then, we named all of our characters after jazz musicians (Artt Blakey, Sunn Ra, Booker Little, Erick Dolphy). As online communities flourished, I was no longer able to use my older handle from the 80's (jonlin) because too many other people started using it, but ironically, "Ornette" never caught on. On this forum, when I first signed up, I accidentally had the ipowerweb server blacklisted, so my confirmation email never reached me, so I had to sign up again using a different name, had to append "Coleman" at the end, although I'd much rather just have "Ornette", as I didn't want to make it that obvious.

So really, this name is based off of my Everquest character's name, except I had to try again.

As far as EQ, I'm on lol wikipedia!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Sleeper_14.jpg

And as for AIM. I've had to create over 10 AIM accounts. For some reason, after a couple of months I get banned. No idea why, they never tell me and the only rule I'm breaking (AFAIK) is that I'm using a 3rd party client, and lots of people do that.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:00 am

I learned that many, many years ago.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Millions Livio » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:39 pm

I used to go by the name Trigun far, far back when no one has any clue what it was. I liked the manga a bit, and liked the name, the anime came out and I liked that as well. Once it started getting popular the name was no longer original online. I needed a new name so I used Millions Knives and Livio the Double Fang from the manga and here we go. I look a lot like Knives and to pretty much act like him. Using "Knives" would be to cliche really, so I figured I'd use Millions; Knives is never really called Millions. Of course most people haven't read the manga, nor know who Livio is. So it's a pretty unknown original name online. I've thought about changing it when I start doing my podcast, but I've used it for so long I'm not sure if I should really.

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Guilty Gear
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 pm

As per Reichus request:

Szmitten is a contraction of my surname and the word kitten. It also has the exact same pronounciation as smitten. TS Scorpio, my username on ANF, contains my initials and my zodiac sign. The latter was my email address and generally favoured username on forums until my Gmail broke. In which case I also decided to change my usernames to something a lot more individual. Hence, Szmitten. Most people I know refer to me by my surname anyway.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:45 pm

I chose mine simply because it looks cooler than "Zack" or "Zach".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:50 am

Bumping for all of the members whose user names remain mysssssssteries.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Furu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Furu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 pm

As I explained on IRC:

[11:22] <Furu> I pressed two random keys and then stuck a random vowel in between, which got me "Fur" so I stuck another u at the end.
[11:22] <Furu> I've used it ever sense, especially since I'm terrible at coming up with names to use on the internet.

ANTI-CLIMAX!
Insert Block of Text here.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Cool, Furu. ^_^

@ Ornette: YOU REALLY ARE TEH AWESOME! :bow:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

yokuchi
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby yokuchi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:40 pm

In case anyone wanted to know...

yokuchi = oasis

Because I'm always dwelling on how to solve the world's problems and create a utopia.
insert witty and offensive political banter here

Terminal Alkyne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Terminal Alkyne » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm

My username came from an organic chemistry textbook that I currently have. When I decided to register for this forum, I decided that the ones I used before didn't really suit me. I had to decide with this or Grignard reagent, since I thought it would be cool to have those as names. I decided against Grignard, because I thought it sounded too BobBQ-ish.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Terminal Alkyne wrote:I decided against Grignard, because I thought it sounded too BobBQ-ish.

Wot?

Doctor Memory
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Doctor Memory » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Doctor Memory wrote:This name is supposed to be a reference to "I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus." The minimal research I did indicated it would be nicely inconspicuous.
Last edited by Doctor Memory on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Don't) Excuse Me UhClem, But You're (Not) Making the Doctor (Un)Happy.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Years back I wanted a name that sounded cool, and since I like bears, I decided to use the scientific name for Brown Bear, Ursus arctos.

The scientific name for a Grizzly Bear (which is a Brown Bear subspecies) is Ursus arctos horribilis...although I wonder what the poor grizzlies did to deserve a name like that.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Ironfoot is the surname of a dwarven character of Tolkien's works, specifically Dain Ironfoot II, the cousin of Thorin Oakenshield II. At the time, I was looking to join a Starcraft clan, but I wanted a better screen name than the one I had, so I looked through Appendix A of The Return of the King, specifically Durin's Line, and I liked the sound of Ironfoot.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”