[Music] Lady Gaga (Question)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:But you can't deny you learn news there, right? (I have 2ch to get the news, but surely most who do not read Japanese find their news there) The problem with sankaku is how it presents the news...
No, I suppose I can't. But what I meant was that the "news" on Sankaku should be read mostly for entertainment. The guy that runs the place certainly isn't interested in presenting it in a fare an unbiased form.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:15 pm

is she trying to goad Disney into re-re-making 101 Dalmatians with her channeling Cruella de Vil here? :lol:

- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:33 pm

So I'd just like to announce that I've had a change of heart on Gaga recently. Gaga rocks. Especially "Bad Romance."
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:47 pm

^NOOOOOOOOOOO!! Bomby!

:headdesk:

just when the popularity was fading with her and Bieber and the other hacks, you defected

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Gaga and the critic

[URL=http://min.us/lbInju]Image[/URL]

:peace: 
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:20 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:06 pm

depends on your definition of "awesome"

off-topic (or perhaps not): I was amused by the ads from Amazon on Sankuku there with all the homo-male coffee table smut/art books and photo albums, no coincidence IMO

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm

What's this? Gaga releases her best video since Bad Romance and nobody says a thing?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Damn you Vevo, you have failed me. Thankfully youtube XL was there to pick up the slack.

Good video, by the way. I especially like the ending.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 pm

View Original PostJeff Williams wrote:GaGa actions in support of the LGBT, GaGa latest creation "Born This Way" is a cheer for gay people's songs, she encouraged everyone to be brave to do yourself. :w00:

Haha, Gaga's support of the LGBT community is laughable.

But I guess that somehow makes me homophobic to say that.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:57 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:Haha, Gaga's support of the LGBT community is laughable.

Second.

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:21 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:Haha, Gaga's support of the LGBT community is laughable.

I'm LGBT and I couldn't agree more.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I'll admit, Gaga's activism is one of the silliest things about her but it's hardly a bad thing. Yes, she panders like there's no tomorrow, but if you want to get things done, that's sort of how you have to be. I wish I could say otherwise, but you can't sway the masses with complexity or subtlety; you need to be as loud, blunt and as simplistic as a bronze club smashing through bone. In the past year, DADT was repealed and New York legalized same sex marriage. It's possible that it would have still happened without Gaga screaming about it over twitter or covering her body in jerky, but it's not like she's doing any harm by offering a rallying call.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm

I think all of us ragging on her "activism" are just talking about it from an art-oriented standpoint... I'll only speak for myself here, though, just in case.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:48 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I'll admit, Gaga's activism is one of the silliest things about her but it's hardly a bad thing. Yes, she panders like there's no tomorrow, but if you want to get things done, that's sort of how you have to be. I wish I could say otherwise, but you can't sway the masses with complexity or subtlety; you need to be as loud, blunt and as simplistic as a bronze club smashing through bone. In the past year, DADT was repealed and New York legalized same sex marriage. It's possible that it would have still happened without Gaga screaming about it over twitter or covering her body in jerky, but it's not like she's doing any harm by offering a rallying call.

I think it lets people think they love the "fabulous gays" because they support Gaga. Lots of people I know who support Gaga the most are very condescending to gays or even homophobic (as in "gay marriage is wrong, but effeminate gay people are so funny!").

If we need Gaga to convince our government to repeal DADT and get gay marriage, we're kinda fucked.

Also, for someone who pretends to support equality, she's incredibly racist.

There are so many things wrong with Lady Gaga, even including her music. I liked most of The Fame/The Fame Monster, but 90% of Born This Way is complete shit. That's also when Gaga moved away from making fun songs produced by RedOne/Fusari and wanted to appeal to insecure, pudgy middle-class suburban girls instead.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:38 pm

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:I think all of us ragging on her "activism" are just talking about it from an art-oriented standpoint... I'll only speak for myself here, though, just in case.

In that case, I agree completely. She somehow manages the hefty feat of being simultaneously preachy and obtuse. She seems to eager te please all of her gay fans that she's willing to attache a pro-gay meaning to pretty much anything, regardless of how much of a non-sequitur it seems.

Whoa, chaosakita, you're throwing a lot of points out really quickly a not elaborating on them. How is Gaga racist? What songs on Born This Way are meant to appeal to fat girls? I can kind of see the argument for two or three of them (Born This Way, Hair, Bad Kids), but the majority of them are either autobiographical or meditations on Gaga's own obsessions. Besides, the album still has a lot of fun dance songs (Marry The Night. Government Hooker, Judas, Americano.) I do agree that it's not as good as The Fame Monster, but it's about par withThe Fame, which also had a lot of weak songs.

As for miserably and contemptuous human beings attaching to Gaga to achieve the illusion of being supportive ... Well, that's not her fault, that's humanity's fault. As long as there have been causes, there have beet people who latch onto them to delude themselves into thinking that they're better than they are. Not all of her heterosexual fans are so loathsome.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:27 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Whoa, chaosakita, you're throwing a lot of points out really quickly a not elaborating on them. How is Gaga racist? What songs on Born This Way are meant to appeal to fat girls? I can kind of see the argument for two or three of them (Born This Way, Hair, Bad Kids), but the majority of them are either autobiographical or meditations on Gaga's own obsessions. Besides, the album still has a lot of fun dance songs (Marry The Night. Government Hooker, Judas, Americano.) I do agree that it's not as good as The Fame Monster, but it's about par with[ i]The Fame[/i], which also had a lot of weak songs.

Uh oh. Lack of evidence I'm failing my debate round!

So here are some links to peruse at your pleasure:

http://projectqueer.tumblr.com/post/2575690013/lady-gagas-corporate-sponsors-arent-exactly-gay
http://girlboymusic.tumblr.com/post/3507956831/barthel-dyfl-replied-to-your-post-gaga-and
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/features/Andrew-Eaton-39Is-Born-This.6721456.jp
http://totheexperts.tumblr.com/post/5433600516

Also, calling Latina girls "chola" - really sensitive. And apparently, I'm "oriental." Maybe you don't think it counts. But you don't have to be a member of Stormfront to be racist.

Part of Lady Gaga's shtick is to appeal to troubled teenager, both gay and not, such as those with self-image issues. There's definitely the whole "be who you want to be" and "don't listen to those haters" theme going through her songs and image.

Compare The Fame ("Poker Face" - about sex or something, "Just Dance" - about getting drunk, "Paparazzi" - about stalking) with Born This Way ("Born This Way" - you're fabulous!, "Marry the Night" - I'm so empowered, "Hair" - I'm so free and individualistic). Maybe I got those a bit wrong wrong (I listened to the album once) and it's a small sample, but I think there's a definite change in tone.

All of the songs you've listed are pretty junk, in my opinion. Judas is probably the most bearable song on the track (especially since I think about the character named Judas in the novel I'm writing, lol), especially since it was composed by RedOne, but seriously, the rest of the songs aren't that great. Music is really subjective, so it's not really worth debating. I stand firmly on my belief, though, that her best songs were with RedOne. Although Rainbow Unicorn gets point docked off for being a Poker Face rip-off.

As for miserably and contemptuous human beings attaching to Gaga to achieve the illusion of being supportive ... Well, that's not her fault, that's humanity's fault. As long as there have been causes, there have beet people who latch onto them to delude themselves into thinking that they're better than they are. Not all of her heterosexual fans are so loathsome.

Well Gaga herself is attaching onto the LGBT movement. Hmmm...

I have a lot of friends who like Gaga (just like racist people have black friends, lol), but they all have this annoying habit of trying to make themselves seem interesting. But that's a teenager thing.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm

I have always thought her utterances on the subject always came across as $in¢ere but $$$$hallow

that, and everything else I have already posted about her hack status and sore lack of good, original songs

now she's even copying the Cinema Snob and Annie Lennox with the "Jo Calderone" bit

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:06 pm

For Slate fans: someone there thinks Gaga is "pop's leading conservative."

Read why!
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:48 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:For Slate fans: someone there thinks Gaga is "pop's leading conservative."

Read why!

I definitely agree. There is hardly anything revolutionary about anything Gaga does. Even her outlandish clothing is simply a mainstream knock-off of what has been going on behind the scenes in fashion and art for years.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”