[Music] Lady Gaga (Question)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:51 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Lady Gaga has a penis?

No/No

She.is.female.

Has alway's been so.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Judy Butler thinks this argument is irrelevant.

"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:21 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:What Rodriguez does in films like From Dusk Til Dawn is essentially the same thing that was done in those Park films or Titus Andronicus, just perhaps on a "lesser" level. I guess maybe that's your point.

In a way, though personally I've always found Park to be less "satirical" and more "dark comedy." It also helps that the visual aesthetic of the "Alejandro" video reminded me of Rodriguez's visual aesthetic in Sin City, too.

I also had Madonna's "Like A Prayer" video on my mind, and I can't help but feel that Madonna's video uses religious imagery in both a more "shocking" and "meaningful" way than Gaga's "Alejandro" video does. I "realize" I'm "using" a "lot" of "quotation marks" in this "paragraph," but that's because I'm referring to songs and using terms that I'm not a big fan of using, generally speaking. I'm actually not really big on Madonna's music either, but I have a certain level of respect for her.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Gaga's new album "Born This Way" is now available for pre-order. You can listen to the titular track and first single on the same page.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Gaga's new album "Born This Way" is now available for pre-order. You can listen to the titular track and first single on the same page.

Don't be a drag, just be a queen
Clocks and Maids

~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 pm

people like her are the reason why most music today sucks and has sucked for a long, long time, and I am sure most on this forum will agree despite her notoriety and undeserved praise elsewhere

she and her copycats are the entertainment equivalent of waving keys in front of a baby and are about as pleasing to the ears and eyes

if you think she is hot stuff, go check out the Ziggy Stardust era of David Bowie, most anything by Madonna from 1983 to 1990 or much of Cher's catalogue, all the good and bad she's done has already been done and done infinitely better IMO

granted, there has not been someone like her to come along in pop music since Britney Spears and her legion of copycats, but come on now, could the kids today find someone or group more interesting and srsly challenging musically to be adored without the obscene emphasis on the visuals?

the only reasons I might not mind her being around the mainstream conscience if only to see her have some hard demise like Spears had or to stick around for WAY too long like Madonna has to the point of becoming a sad cartoon of a media product
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:people like her are the reason why most music today sucks and has sucked for a long, long time, and I am sure most on this forum will agree despite her notoriety and undeserved praise elsewhere

she and her copycats are the entertainment equivalent of waving keys in front of a baby and are about as pleasing to the ears and eyes

if you think she is hot stuff, go check out the Ziggy Stardust era of David Bowie, most anything by Madonna from 1983 to 1990 or much of Cher's catalogue, all the good and bad she's done has already been done and done infinitely better IMO

granted, there has not been someone like her to come along in pop music since Britney Spears and her legion of copycats, but come on now, could the kids today find someone or group more interesting and srsly challenging musically to be adored without the obscene emphasis on the visuals?

the only reasons I might not mind her being around the mainstream conscience if only to see her have some hard demise like Spears had or to stick around for WAY too long like Madonna has to the point of becoming a sad cartoon of a media product

For me it's the complete opposite, GaGa has saved pop and she's only thing close to pop I can listen to and love
Clocks and Maids

~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:07 am

View Original PostXeroko wrote:For me it's the complete opposite, GaGa has saved pop and she's only thing close to pop I can listen to and love

that would be Perfume

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 am

Hal wrote:if you think she is hot stuff, go check out the Ziggy Stardust era of David Bowie, most anything by Madonna from 1983 to 1990 or much of Cher's catalogue, all the good and bad she's done has already been done and done infinitely better IMO
:lol: who do you think her primary influences are?

Hal wrote:granted, there has not been someone like her to come along in pop music since Britney Spears and her legion of copycats, but come on now, could the kids today find someone or group more interesting and srsly challenging musically to be adored without the obscene emphasis on the visuals?
nobody listens to srsly challenging music and they never did. Pop music has never been seriously challenging (barring perhaps the swing era, but even then "pop" was just distilled and in many cases diluted from its jazz parents). That's why it's pop music. It's easy for everyone to gobble down without being too threatened.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:28 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Pop music has never been seriously challenging
I'm of two minds about this; on the one hand, yeah, pop music is designed to be music that's most easily digested by the masses, but because of the inevitable evolution of any massive umbrella genre there is "challenging" pop music in the sense that new artists come along that "challenge" old paradigms and thus present a "challenge" to those who are latched onto them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't find classical music any more "challenging" than pop music, essentially. I guess if I viewed it from a more "musical language" perspective I might, but for me it's mostly about the aesthetics.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:42 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:people like her are the reason why most music today sucks and has sucked for a long, long time, and I am sure most on this forum will agree despite her notoriety and undeserved praise elsewhere

*Applause* *Standing Ovation* Encore! Encore! Preach on, brother!

I cannot wait for her new album to flop and her to go into a deep psychosis resulting in her suicide. How in the HELL is the world so entranced over her music, yet, when Dimebag Darrell was slain -- the last truly gifted guitarist (sorry Zakk Wylde, Jerry Cantrell and Linde)-- the nation could care less. Bands like Pantera is why Hair Bands and 80's Pop died! Grunge contributed also! By why did this unbelievably progressive era of music have to end by 2004? There has been almost NOTHING with true artistic value to come out since '04. And I know they're out there, everyone just wants to hear covers and samples. That's why in rock, some dickwads can cover "Bad Company" and recruit adorning fans and also why Lady Gaga -- who steals 70% of her music -- has the problem of the entire world throwing as much money at her as possible. I could NEVER have fathomed that Lady Gaga would get that big, even as big a narcissist I am over pop culture.

The nation demonstrated that they would rather have a black male president than a white female one, yet the nation will vote "Gaga in 2012."
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:49 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Bands like Pantera is why Hair Bands and 80's Pop died!

There's still some justice in the world!

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:23 pm

^ The point I was trying to make is that there isn't justice in the world, because only a handful of people would pay homage to Pantera over Gaga. Because what Gaga did, those who are at the helm of music supercorperations will continue to strive to replicate her success, by flooding the market with knock-off's and copycats.

She changed what mass-marketed music will sound like for the next 10 years, at least.

Back in the 90's, Seattle was utterly raped by these same companies. The difference is, they were trying to sign the next Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc... That's when pop culture was saturated with unbelievable musical talent. I rue this day, the age of Gaga. The era music died....
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:25 pm

it's all the same shit in my ears. In 90s people were bitchin' just like you're now, ditto for 80s, ditto for 70s etc.

I have hard time seeing any profound impact Gaga has made that makes her earn such hatred. Bitches been doing pop music in this vein for years.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were in the same vein as Madonna. Gaga is different because it is an unholy fusion of past popular songs with the help of a computer which arranges a series of sounds that are appealing.

Music used to be about jamming music that you feel in your soul, at least, that's what my life-long infatuation with music has been about. Nothing beats the rush you feel when you, the rest of the band, and the audience are in the zone, NOTHING. There's no soul in new music. You don't see a band like Led Zeppelin anymore, that can achieve unworldly success and still have fun on stage. Its all about money, and the proliferation of success. You can blame that on the grunge scene, though, because it expanded on the 1970's San Francisco phenomenon and London scene in the 60's. But it isn't just Gaga. It's Rhianna, Kei$ha, Katy Perry, all the rest of the trash that re-markets old songs for revenue.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:40 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were in the same vein as Madonna. Gaga is different because it is an unholy fusion of past popular songs with the help of a computer which arranges a series of sounds that are appealing.

Ummmmmmmmmm whaaaat :lol:

This didn't make any sense. Computers have been used in recording studio for ages.

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:Music used to be about jamming music that you feel in your soul, at least, that's what my life-long infatuation with music has been about. Nothing beats the rush you feel when you, the rest of the band, and the audience are in the zone, NOTHING. There's no soul in new music. You don't see a band like Led Zeppelin anymore, that can achieve unworldly success and still have fun on stage. Its all about money, and the proliferation of success. You can blame that on the grunge scene, though, because it expanded on the 1970's San Francisco phenomenon and London scene in the 60's. But it isn't just Gaga. It's Rhianna, Kei$ha, Katy Perry, all the rest of the trash that re-markets old songs for revenue.

popular music was always about money and trashyness. You just remember the best bits from previous decades

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Ummmmmmmmmm whaaaat :lol:

This didn't make any sense. Computers have been used in recording studio for ages.

popular music was always about money and trashyness. You just remember the best bits from previous decades

Sure, but was there such an influx of its use as today? Where every SINGLE pop artist uses auto-tune? I'm saying that Gaga's music is mostly stolen, and what isn't is arranged by a computer which sole purpose is to create a random series of noises which have been shown in research to be pleasing to the ears. What happened to the artists' brain which synthesized this together, the true embrace of creativity and imagination? What lacks creativity lacks musical value, the indisputable reason why anything that is associated with Gaga is trash.

I'm saying that the prevalence of this phenomenon is like what has never been seen before on such a massive scale. Music is regressing, not progressing. It doesn't matter what selective examples I cite, it is wholly undeniable that music is being commercialized on a scale that dwarfs any other era of music. Gaga is acting as a catalyst, not an antagonist.

There's really no disputing these points. They aren't outlandish, they are unbiased reflections on the current state of music, and anything other than concurrence is stark denial.

Didn't know you were a closet Gaga fan, Xard. :wink:
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:I'm saying that Gaga's music is mostly stolen, and what isn't is arranged by a computer which sole purpose is to create a random series of noises which have been shown in research to be pleasing to the ears. What happened to the artists' brain which synthesized this together, the true embrace of creativity and imagination? What lacks creativity lacks musical value, the indisputable reason why anything that is associated with Gaga is trash.
All pop music sucks and Lady Gaga is a robot. First she infects our minds, then she destroys our bodies! She's pushing the music industry into a creative slump the likes of which can't possibly have ever been seen before! Audiences are pacified! Pop music is oversimplified! We're pandered to by our entertainment while we lead our measly little unimportant lives at the whim of abominable social machines! Oh the calamity!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”