ITT: What are you working on right now?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 am

Any HAMs on EGF?

I built a (very) short range AM radio transmitter. It's far from tuned and produces a massive amount of interference on a 40 kHz (1 MHz ± 20 kHz) swath. That's due largely to the fact that I used a 1 MHz crystal as the carrier generator, which produces a 1 MHz square wave, which makes for all sorts of nastiness when used in radios. Not to mention all the ringing on the odd harmonics. I need a 1 MHz sine wave oscillator. It's not a huge problem, though. The transmitter only outputs a few microwatts, at the maximum. In my bedroom, it's out of range at about two metres. In my underground, RF-impenetrable, zombie apocalypse-ready EGN3000 classroom, it'll reach about five before it's just too weak to hear.

Regardless, I can pump audio into it and it outputs a (fairly) clean AM signal that I can pick up on my radio (tuned to, obviously, 1 MHz). The SNR is farily low, so there's a lot of noise on the channel, but a lot of that is just the fact that AM sounds like shit.

Recording. We're getting all WWII up in here.

Here's the pictures.
Prototyping  SPOILER: Show
The board in the centre (not the blue one) is the transmitter. That converts sound into radio waves. It's just a simple transistor modulator. I'm surprised how well it worked, too.

Close up. It's a major jury-rig, too. I didn't have proper audio transformers for the carrier and audio input, so I went all redneck on that mofo and used a couple of common mode chokes that I had laying around.

Here's the amplifier circuit. I found that my laptop couldn't output a loud enough signal to make for a very clear transmission. I just ran a single channel (left, I think) into an LM386 circuit to amplify the input sound.

This is what the output looks like, on the breadboards.

Finished 'Product'  SPOILER: Show
This is the board after being moved to a proper PCB. I used sticky-tack to hold down wires and whatnot while soldering. It turns out it gets really tacky when heated to 350C. It's quite difficult to remove.

Let's lift the skirt on this bitch. That massive strip of metal at the bottom is a piece of solder-saturated solder wick. It's supposed to be the antenna.

Here's the output.

...and zoomed out.

To anyone interested, I'll post the schematics.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:17 am

I'm currently planning another manga, and this one might be pure genius or proof that I'm crazy. (Or both)

The story is about Yakuza santa who has imprisoned 30 mentally ill superheroes/heroines (These guys are santa's army) inside the sun.

Somehow they manage to escape the prison with "mental hospital spaceship" and now they have to travel in the universe, find the santa, rape/kill him and take his place as a ruler of the universe.

The space has multiple golden/sci-fi/xmas themed city's that are bigger than planets, and the space itself has deserts, cactus' and very dreamlike/surreal/abstract appearance in the background.

Most of the time the series is focused inside the spaceship and weird events that happen in the space.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm back to working on my Z80 computer. It's coming along nicely.

However...*takes deep breath*

OH MY GOD IT RUNS CODE HOLY SHIT IT RUNS CODE. IT FUCKING RUNS CODE OHMYGOD CALL THE PRESS IS BLOODY RUNS CODE.

Yeah. I'm excited. I can't work on it, ATM, because I'm not in my state, but I will post pictures when I return to Florida.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:15 am

Currently deciding which story to work on next. Basically, here's the options:

-First of a couple of "challenges" posed to me by Ash, something that involves those two without actually being shipping. I...think I've got something in mind...based on a real circumstance of my own, actually. Probably darker than you'd expect, too.
-Second "challenge", something in the 'friendship' category involving Rei and Shinji. Call it our version of the "olive branch", if you will.
-A post-3I fic...but centering on a character who's not Shinji or Asuka. Mild spoiler: this one's turning out pretty dark in my head.
-Sequel to Hands All Over...which, if this were a poll, I would predict gets the most votes. You pervs are astoundingly predictable.

Whatever I decide on, it won't be until after the new year at least.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:09 pm

A while ago, when I was young and stupid, I wrote what I assumed would be an SxR fic. It turned out to be nothing like it, after Shinji got devoured by internal hatred (literally) came back as an angel
SPOILER: Show
kinda like the titans. WHO'S THINKING IN ADVANCE HERE, SUCKERS
and killed Rei. And himself. And Asuka. I think it was my most widely loved fic, oddly enough. You don't have to ship to be awesome, AngelNo13.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:32 am

^ I never said I had to, I choose to. ^_^

Besides, as I've said before in some of my A/Ns, I know which genre I write best at.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:A while ago, when I was young and stupid, I wrote what I assumed would be an SxR fic. It turned out to be nothing like it
Oh, you're going to love the little, black ball of horribleness that Squiggs and I are writing. Ask him about the "pain fic". Be warned. It's painful.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Just finished transcribing notes for a set of functional programming seminars I organised about 5 years ago as blog posts. At the time I felt apologetic for how difficult the material was; now I feel I have to apologise for how simple it all is.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:13 am

I'm doing a comic series involving animal transformation elements and it's gonna be ALLLRIIIIGGHT

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 am

I'm still practicing illustration to become a professional, practicing ambidexterity, and found myself accidentally joining into a vidya-making project on another forum.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am

Signed up for two concert dinners within the next few months. Hopefully I'll be able to clear auditions, and if I can keep my practice constant it should be pretty good. At the moment I'm going to be doing Entendre by Eluvium, haven't decided on a second song yet but will probably be another Eluvium number or something or similar ilk.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Right now, I'm just focusing on my schoolwork. It's the reason why I've been sorta absent from the forums. I'm doing well, though, so my IRL things are all working out.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:25 am

It's hard to view Italian as anything more than degenerate Latin.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:48 am

View Original PostLavinius wrote:It's hard to view Italian as anything more than degenerate Latin.
It may not be as patrician but at least you can read The Divine Comedy and The Decameron with it.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Sorting out kerfuffle with the Social Welfare since I started work 6 weeks ago.

Getting paid tomorrow or so.

Prepping for a trade show in two weeks, where I have to design and build the entire stand.

Oh, and:

Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0 Case
Asus A88XM FM2+ Motherboard
8GB Kingston Hyper-Beast 2400Mhz
AMD A10-7700K
Scythe Shuriken Rev. B CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
Corsair CX-430 Modular
Wifi Card that works good
Kingston HyperX 3k SSD (120Gig)
DvD-drive + Terabyte HDD from ye olde systeme. And maybe the 320 gig system disk for /home.

Ordering ten minutes after I get paid for the first time in years. Never actually built a PC, but the Core2Duo desktop that acts as my film and torrent box has started to smoke a bit, so it might be time to replace it.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 am

I recently uncovered some old Cree LEDs that I had. Now, these aren't those pussy-ass 5mm LEDs that you use with a 220Ohm resistor. No no no. These are illumination LEDs. That means three things, high voltage drop (I measured 3v drop), holy-mother-of-god current consumption (rated at 3A, but I managed to force 4,5 for a few seconds before the LED blue-shifted), and fry-your-breakfast-on-it heat dissipation (3v * 3A = 9W or 3v * 4,5A = 13,5W). I wired a 1Ohm sandblock resistor in series with the LED. I got 3A with the 1Ohm and 4,5A with 500mOhm. I'm a little afraid of hooking it straight up to my NiMH pack for fear of the apocalypse happening (NiMH cells can deliver 50+A when shorted and a diode is basically a short with a voltage drop), like I could with the AA's I used to test it.

These fuckers put the sun to shame.

What should I do with these? Build a weapon?

I had some fun with optics (pair of magnifiers) and managed to build a heat ray that could melt grocery bags (I didn't leave the LED on long enough to try anything else, it gets hot very fast).

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 am

Received my Japanese cotton fabric off of a Japanese etsy seller the other day, made a handkerchief complete with personal embroidery the other day, shipped it per EMS to NYC, Brooklyn for whooping 46 euro bucks for an 80g air sealed package :|

other pictured fabrics are rayon jerseys, one ribbed, one unribbed

1-3 days shipping sure is luxury lol

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am

Still playing around with Box2D and SFML.

Over 2000 boxes in simulation and it's still maintaining a decent framerate, around 20 FPS with no optimizing code. I think SFML is the bottleneck, here, seeing as it draws every box even if it's asleep (no forces acting on it and not moving).

I added code to stop rendering boxes when they are no longer awake. It hasn't helped much, because the massive stack needs to find a resting state, and that can take a while.

For anyone interested, here's top.

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm

I been trying to put together an album or EP with one of my friends. I already have 2 songs written and I got the idea of making it about Eva (but making it subtle so people don't think I'm weird).
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:27 am

So, if anyone noticed I haven't been particularly active on the forums recently, but now I have something to show for it.

Introducing:

FAZMOTRON.com

I've been working on little film projects here and there for the past few years now and I've decided to collect them all into the one place. My friends and I are always working on new things as well so there will always be something to come back for.

One project in particular is THE SHORT FILM BATTLE.

Other than that I hope to post film, music and anime reviews, and pretty much anything else I come up with.

Hope you all come and check it out, and enjoy what you find. Don't forget to tell your friends.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”