ITT: What are you working on right now?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:15 am

I've spent the last few days working on a new story about Courtemanche and Sickle Cell, my two oldest characters from what will soon be my first completed novel (previous novel-length work were segments of this current work that could more or less stand-alone in their original disjointed form). Essentially, it's a spy novel that takes place either in some kind of dystopian future or entirely through the eyes of a paranoid schizophrenic about a manhunt for a man calling himself CHARON, who seems to exist entirety in the realm of rumor. What is he? A godlike hacker? A renegade android planning a revolution? Some other cyberpunk cliche? Nobody seems to know.

I've been writing about them almost exclusively for the past few months because by finally finishing this first novel I hope to both close a chapter in my life and perform a sort of hysterectomy on my soul. There is a dead person living inside of me. I need him out of my body so that I can move on to a happier, more productive life. I've been re-experiencing on and off depression again and been plagued by a bout of oddly sporadic panic attacks. Lately it's been apparent to me that the only way I could be myself was by being other people. (Writing that book about Ingrid Black, for example, was an absolute joy for the most part, because I got to try so many different new voices every chapter.) I am becoming another person entirely and ascending into the body I've always wanted. Though, in excavating this psychic terratoma, I've come to realize that despite all of my perfectly valid reasons for self-loathing, there are things about myself that I never want to alter.

I've not been speaking about this project because the material is so personal that I've frequently made myself sick and sometimes even close to tears. In light of certain revelations, though, I've been writing a section I feel comfortable sharing prematurely.

It's completely absurd. Courtemanche and Sickle Cell find a girl who has spontaneously transformed into a pear and after she begs for death, the two decide how they should go about killing her. I started by writing words that held no particular significance until there were enough words for there to be something significant. It accidentally became a mediation on capital punishment, torture, abortion, assisted suicide; and it does not deal with these subjects with the intelligence, subtlety or tact that they deserve. It's a tastelessly opaque nightmare that will no doubt confuse and enrage and I love it. I'm a kid who likes to point and laugh at gross things and if I ever get bored of that, it's only because I became a monotonous parody of myself who started doing them in a boring way.

I'm not sure if I even want to tie it back to the episodic spy narrative in any kind of meaningful way. I'd be really easy, too. It'd only need to throw around a few words like "interrogation" or"informant", but I rather like it being a complete non-sequitur.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:17 am

So yeah after some issues with the orignal artist i was collaborating with, I'm redoing parasite galaxy with someone new. That's right its time for the rebuild of parasite galaxy

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/parasitegalaxypage04o.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:19 am

I'm writing a book! It's completely shit and a total ripoff of Doctor Who, but it's giving me something to do.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 pm

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 pm

It's okay, I guess. Not as good as anything by Johnny Spaceboots. Have you read that guy? He's a genius. No doubt he'll be remembered as the voice that spoke to our generation.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 am

^Johnny Spaceboots is a true American original.
------
So your low post count of late is because of the work you've been doing on your novel and not because of a growing indifference towards EGF? That's good to know, I'd been thinking you were going to run off and leave us forever, Muggs.

Also good luck with your novel. Hope it brings you everything you want it to and more.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:24 pm

One of my old friends from the dorms, who has been rapping for a few years now, got a record deal back in his home country of Kuwait. As I may have mentioned a few times in the past, I've been making beats for a good decade now. So... let's try and get a couple of my beats placed on an actual release! I have a decent backlog of 100+ beats (mostly ones that I'm proud of) sitting around that hasn't been used by anyone since I stopped working with the quasi-mediocre rappers I used to record back in high school, so once he gets back to the US, he'll be getting first choice from the vault.

But seriously, check out his track "Jihad" off his most recent mixtape, defending his Islamic faith with great passion.[/promoting my friends]
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:39 pm

I've got a blog started. Come visit me at http://www.themillenniummuseum.blogspot.com.

The MillenniuM MuseuM: Celebrating the Year 2000...13 Years Late.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 am

Working on some blog posts. Writing a story to my satisfaction is hard for me, and I'm on the verge of giving up. I'll at least keep the writing practice up, though, and I'll just pontificate about books instead.

I've been kind of splitting my attention between a book review of Liminal States and a trope that seems to crop up occasionally in sci-fi that I'm calling "The Pit of Lovecraft" for the time being. Think of The Mist or A Colder War and you'll probably get the idea. I'm describing the concept in a little more detail and writing a bit about the cultural background that allows it to be a recurrent fictional theme. I think it stems back to the idea of the horror of losing living space combined with the ability of modern to unravel ecosystems at the drop of a hat. Should be done with that in a day or two.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 pm

So... Today i started looking a bit more into the forum-making thing. Specifically, checked a bit of the phpbb site and forums. The hosting company i've been looking into, i'm pretty sure they support phpbb3 and -as far as i know- all the other things it requires.

I've been thinking a bit about it and made some mental inventory, and i realized that i could start the forums tomorrow or this week if i so desired. There's nothing stopping me from that. But i won't. I still have to look into some other things.

Which also leads me to another problem i've been having, when i was looking into the phpbb site, i noticed i got very overwhelmed and out-burned at all the informations, things i needed to read and consider. Almost intimated, even. But i suppose that's normal for a big endeavor such as that. I think the best thing i can do is just look at it one problem at a time, and/or just look into the basics i need to start the forums, and then learn as i admin. Would the latter be a good idea, i wonder?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 pm

I'd say getting a firm grasp on what you need to know is the better option. No point in opening the forum if you don't know how to control it yet.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 am

I'm working with a small crew of guys to make a megaman 8bit-style fangame. I'll be doing the stage graphics and helping with the sprites. If you'd like to join the contest to design one of the robot masters, check it out HERE.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 am

View Original PostDream wrote:I think the best thing i can do is just look at it one problem at a time, and/or just look into the basics i need to start the forums, and then learn as i admin. Would the latter be a good idea, i wonder?
You could run up a test system locally -- use VMWare Player or VirtualBox to set up a small Linux VM and then install phpBB on that, and get used to what the forum looks like from the admin side before there's anything out on the public internet. Even the task of adding a new sub-forum is not straightforward in phpBB2 -- some bits are obvious, but don't do all you'd expect them to (like needing to explicitly allow mods to moderate each forum using a different part of the admin panel from the forum creation). Getting used to what you need to do with some test users (plain members, mods, and admins) would be a good thing to do before going live.

One of the most customized areas on these forums is the sign-up process, which attempts to cut down the number of spam registrations; and while we're down from the several-a-day rate which we got with unpatched phpBB to one every few weeks, it's still something that needs constant administrative vigilance.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:19 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:So your low post count of late is because of the work you've been doing on your novel and not because of a growing indifference towards EGF?

Your optimism is charming, but I'm afraid that it's more complicated than that. My writing had for the past few months lost the cathartic power that first drew me to it in adolescence. For the first time in my life, the act of writing had stopped being a release from depression and started, ironically enough, to become the source. The way I'd been living my life over the past few years had been essentially to distance myself from the triggers that rendered me helpless and in essence bury myself alive. I had, without really noticing it, become a neurotic terrified of even the inevitability of conflict. After a shift in perception and re-alignment of priorities, the documentation of my recent excavation felt very much like tearing the scabs off wounds that had sealed over years ago and I was reminded of things about myself that are still uncomfortably prevalent. The result of this was an initial renewal in feelings of powerlessness that, though they've now receded, resulted in a temporary blindness by contempt and revulsion.

I'd come to EGF, read shit, get bummed out, then feel too hopeless to even pummel out a quick absurdly sarcastic reply. EGF seemed to me such a misasmic bog that contributing even mockery would drag me deeper into its dark recesses.

I don't mind it now, though. I realized some time ago that while Evangelion remained a viscerally emotional work, its narrative mysteries and more puzzle-like aspects are now glossed to a mirror sheen. The Discussion board is like a museum tour I've been on a dozen times and can recite by heart, Chit-Chat's a stand-up routine that never has any new jokes and I don't see much point in discussing Rebuild in any meaningful capacity until we have a complete work to dissect (the diligent translation work by a few beloved friends aside, the recent conjecture over hearsay has been groan-inducing.) I still come here because there are people I adore, even though 90% of them I mostly talk to over the IRC and Skype.

child of Lilith wrote:Also good luck with your novel. Hope it brings you everything you want it to and more.

Thanks. It means a lot to me.

CorporalChaos wrote:I've been kind of splitting my attention between a book review of Liminal States and a trope that seems to crop up occasionally in sci-fi that I'm calling "The Pit of Lovecraft" for the time being. Think of The Mist or A Colder War and you'll probably get the idea. I'm describing the concept in a little more detail and writing a bit about the cultural background that allows it to be a recurrent fictional theme.

It was a very lovely article. I do hope you link it in here at some time in the near future.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You could run up a test system locally -- use VMWare Player or VirtualBox to set up a small Linux VM and then install phpBB on that, and get used to what the forum looks like from the admin side before there's anything out on the public internet. Even the task of adding a new sub-forum is not straightforward in phpBB2 -- some bits are obvious, but don't do all you'd expect them to (like needing to explicitly allow mods to moderate each forum using a different part of the admin panel from the forum creation). Getting used to what you need to do with some test users (plain members, mods, and admins) would be a good thing to do before going live.

One of the most customized areas on these forums is the sign-up process, which attempts to cut down the number of spam registrations; and while we're down from the several-a-day rate which we got with unpatched phpBB to one every few weeks, it's still something that needs constant administrative vigilance.

I would be using phpBB3 instead of 2, though. Although i'm not sure if with the Linux VM you mean also trying phpBB off-line or something like that? And yeah, i've heard that spam tends to be/can end up being a big problems in forums, so it's one of the things i've started looking into a bit. I'm certainly going to add customizations to take care of that and other things. Considering that, i think that trying out and getting a sense for all the admin tools and testing before opening the forum online would indeed be a good idea. Thanks for the advice.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 am

If you have a free choice, have you considered SMF rather than phpBB? Also free, and nearly as popular.

As for spam, I have achieved similar low levels (about 8 weeks between successive successful spam registrations, against about four attempts an hour) by using: (a) two "human" questions, using the facility built in to SMF (the questions are: "What is Marten Reed's first name"* and "2 + two = "), and (b) a database lookup at the site [url]http://www.stopforumspam.com/[/url], inplemented using an SMF mod called Stop Spammer (presumably there is a similar interface to the database for phpBB). Each of these alone cuts spam registrations down to a couple a week, and the combination is as good as it gets. There's also a captcha (the built-in one, set to the level below the hardest), but I don't think that does much; the spammers have databases of the images for most common captchas.

* This may tell you that the site concerned is [url]http://forums.questionablecontent.net/[/url]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:22 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:It was a very lovely article. I do hope you link it in here at some time in the near future.

Here's a direct link to the article, the link to my blog is in the sig.
Last edited by CorporalChaos on Thu May 07, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Although i'm not sure if with the Linux VM you mean also trying phpBB off-line or something like that?
Yes -- a virtual machine (VM) is a whole-computer emulation, so at the expense of a few GB of disk space, you effectively have a stand-alone system you can play with (and break) without harming your normal environment; then you can run that without exposing it to the outside world while you find your way around the controls.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 am

Last night, when I finished the rough draft of the story I mentioned starting the other day, I was in despair. I had thought that plumbing the depths of my creative Id was a fruitless exercise that could never again result in anything other than disjointed nonsense that, although following the logic of a dream, could never capture the atmosphere. (Dawn was coming fast and I wanted so bad to be done with the farce I'd brought upon myself that when I felt nature calling, I took my typewriter into the bathroom and banged out the last two pages on the crapper. It shows.)

Tonight, having started the radical rewriting process that comes with typing up my manuscript in Word, I am once again awash in joy. With a touch of horror, I remembered that this could no longer be the creative free for all where I connect unrelated narratives with bits of string; that I needed a tight, controlled plot that only seemed to dip in an out of unrelated nightmares, but was atmospherically consistent and narratively tightly-wound.

I was surprised when I sat down and tried to make a story about two ostensible teenaged spies executing a human-sized living pear somehow make sense and everything came about in a calm and rational way. When I handled the absurdity of the situation in an almost procedural manner (instead of making it the butt of a sarcastic joke, which is my default approach to everything) the whole affair only seemed far more bizarre.

Part of the temporary low in the creative process was that the scene veered far away from the ending I'd originally conceived into an incompetent body-horror, cannibalistic ninja fight set in Chinese restaurant (by this point I was completely on auto-pilot.) I plan to rework the borderline-racist ending I'd shat out into something more akin to a recursive family drama and imbue a bad joke with a sense of mystery and discovery and all that other fun shit that makes people want to turn pages instead of reel in horror.

I'm having fun by having less fun. Afraid there's a bit of creative guilt here, but that's the kind of pressure that turns coal into diamonds.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Sounds like you're on your way to reclaiming what writing used to mean to you, Muggs. A very good thing indeed.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”