Your greatest frustrations in life...

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Xard wrote:
Captain_Morgan wrote: What is the meaning of life? There is none. We are but a random occurrence in an infinite plane of infinite possibilities.

k

argue plz

while we're at it, do you mind if I come by and kill your family? ^_^

Meaning and value are two different concepts. One can place value on life and connections, events, and experiences that occur within it without ascribing to the notion that there is any greater meaning to our lives, any purpose besides simply being.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 pm

Post pic of dat ass nao!

IIIIIYAADAAA!!!

:asuka_sad:

Do you just find all guys equally ugly

Well I find some guys uglier then others. Some girls touch it too which I dont mind, but more often then not its some guy trying to touch it, oddly almost if not all the guys trying to do this are married.

Not that attractive types or girls should feel entitled to molest you anyway.

Attractive girls can touch it as much as they like as far as I'm concerned.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:03 pm

sorry Defectron ;_; guess the hormones got to me. I have a similar problem with people in general touching me. Specifically strangers. I dispize when some guy says hi by slaping you on the shoulder or some total stranger shakes your hand an initiates a hug. wtf. I feel..raped. And its worse since I have a closet gay friend that likes being disrespectful to me but I havnt gotten rid of him because he has his uses.
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am

Frustrations? Great, another outlet where i can whine!

1., I don't feel like i'm acquiring a useful, working knowledge in higher education. I take the courses, i pass the exams, and yet i only feel like i'm passing time.

2., The fact that the city where i live is so transcendentally dirty. Decades of dried up piss and other types of waste everywhere, with tons of dust floating in the air. There is nary a spot in this dumpster of a metropolis where you could escape the all encrusting filth.

Captain_Morgan wrote: What is the meaning of life? There is none. We are but a random occurrence in an infinite plane of infinite possibilities.

Woah, deep.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 am

Captain_Morgan wrote: What is the meaning of life? There is none. We are but a random occurrence in an infinite plane of infinite possibilities. If only it were that simple...

You're wrong.

It's 42.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Defectron wrote:I wouldnt call this my greatest frustration but its really starting to annoye me. I think my ass attracts guys, I mean girls like my ass too which is fine, but the problem is at least four times the amount of guys go around trying to touch my ass and their all ugly too! What did my ass do to deserve this? Yeah I stealth fart on people whenever I get the chance and then run away, but I don't think that's enough to warrant this kind of universal ass karma!

Many woman would give anything for such an ass.

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 pm

hey Id kill to have an ass like that. you should be proud of what you have. Now show it and shake it! I like big butts and I can not lie. you other users cant deny. when I girl shows pics with an itty bitty waist and that round thing in your face you get sprung!...
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Stuffy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stuffy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:20 pm

At this point in my life some of my biggest fustrations in life are that one, I dont have ready access to machining tools, ei large lathes, and mills along with access to education to learn g-code and other machining skills in a classroom setting. Two the fact that no matter how hard I try I cant seem to stop myself from picking "fights" with my mother even though afterwards I feel like utter crap. Although this could be partly due to the fact that I'm 17. Lastly my biggist fustration is that sometimes I knowingly and intentionally annoy and piss off my girlfriend just because she's sexy when she's angry. This normally doesnt end well...:(

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 pm

NemZ wrote:Meaning and value are two different concepts. One can place value on life and connections, events, and experiences that occur within it without ascribing to the notion that there is any greater meaning to our lives, any purpose besides simply being.

This.

I didn't mean to sound as though I don't care about life, other people, or whatever, but I realize on a cosmic level, all that is done on Earth is rather pointless.

If the universe is truly infinite, then the unlikely is bound to happen in some part of the universe. Life on earth just happened to happen. If there is some greater force out there, I doubt that it would focus on us, when there is the rest of infinity to look at. To think that we are somehow special is foolish. We just are. Whatever happens, happens.

Just because I know this doesn't mean I don't value my life. If I didn't, I'd probably end up killing myself, and I don't much feel like doing that anymore. To accept this and fall into despair is rather silly, seeing as my life means nothing. There's just no point to it. I accepted the fact and have moved beyond it.

@schismatics
Damn, your logic is flawless. What then, may I ask, is the ultimate question?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 pm

The fact that writing doesn't come as easily to me as i'd like it to
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. Even great writers have trouble writing sometimes. When writing comes "easily," you get Twilight.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:If there is some greater force out there, I doubt that it would focus on us, when there is the rest of infinity to look at.

If there is some creator god out there somewhere, who's to say it doesn't view us as an unfortunate byproduct of the larger framework? What if there IS a god, and it hates us? :devil:

To accept this and fall into despair is rather silly, seeing as my life means nothing.

I find the concept of a divinely inspired deterministic universe far more terrifying than one in which shit just happens. I'd be much more likely to despair if I thought I was utterly powerless to direct my own life.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Well, I just realized I am a week behind on my Philosophy homework...well, at least it's only week three...fuck...I am seriously wondering how I managed to fuck this up already.

I guess God wants me to fail.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:Well, I just realized I am a week behind on my Philosophy homework...well, at least it's only week three...fuck...I am seriously wondering how I managed to fuck this up already.

I guess God wants me to fail.

Fuck god in his non existent ass.

We do things because we assign them value
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:I didn't mean to sound as though I don't care about life, other people, or whatever, but I realize on a cosmic level, all that is done on Earth is rather pointless.

From an atheistic viewpoint that's correct. But I'm not an atheist.

If the universe is truly infinite, then the unlikely is bound to happen in some part of the universe. Life on earth just happened to happen. If there is some greater force out there, I doubt that it would focus on us, when there is the rest of infinity to look at. To think that we are somehow special is foolish. We just are. Whatever happens, happens.

Sorry, Morgain, but "We just appeared and won the cosmic lottery. Deal with it" is a worthless explanation with zero predictability. According to it, we shouldn't be here more than we should. And "Whatever happens, happens." is a tautology.

Here's food for thought: Why should impersonal forces from eternity that caused the universe to come into being in the same time anticipate in themselves living beings in that universe with consciousness that creates philosophy, art, science, language? There's a discrepancy between impersonal forces and personal agents, at least to me, that is.

Captain_Morgan wrote:I guess God wants me to fail.

No, man, he just wants you to move your lazy ass and do that homework.

DatDude wrote:Fuck god in his non existent ass.

This sentence is self-contradictory.

We do things because we assign them value.

This principle sounds attractive at first sight, but it doesn't get you far. You end up a nihilist eventually.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:40 pm

NemZ wrote:What if there IS a god, and it hates us? :devil:
:lol: I'm reminded of this.

Allemann wrote:
DatDude wrote: We do things because we assign them value.
This principle sounds attractive, but it doesn't get you far. You end up a nihilist eventually.
I don't know; sounds good to me. Existence is seems like an inherently meaningless game anyhow, so if I want to continue playing, I just continue living. Our social constructs are games in themselves, based on social rules and norms and other things we choose to follow in order to the reap benefits like interaction and bonds.
I do believe in forces beyond our comprehension or control, but seeing as how we have no way of understanding them anyway, I don't see how they'd counteract free will. As far as I'm concerned, they only exist because I choose to believe that they do.
Allemann wrote:Why should impersonal forces from eternity that caused the universe to come into being in the same time anticipate in themselves living beings in that universe with consciousness that creates philosophy, art, science, language?
Why would an impersonal force anticipate anything? If I drop an apple, it falls. The force of gravity doesn't anticipate it falling, it just makes it fall. I don't think I understand what you're trying to say...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 am

Allemann wrote:Sorry, Morgain, but "We just appeared and won the cosmic lottery. Deal with it" is a worthless explanation with zero predictability. According to it, we shouldn't be here more than we should. And "Whatever happens, happens." is a tautology.

Actually, no not so much. The same formulated expressions used to try and track backwards to the beginning of inflation also predict the existence of other universes, considers that a collision between pocket universes may be responsible for the creation of matter and energy that makes this universe so interesting, and there is an ongoing study of the universal background radiation to detect evidence of such a collision and/or gravitational distortions caused by other nearby universes.

Also, the odds of a life-sustaining universe may not be all that low to begin with, or at least if one takes into account survivability and inflationary chains. Universes with constants set too far out of whack simply dissolve before doing anything interesting, while those closer to stable can persist long enough to seed other inflationary pockets, which will tend to inherit properties of the 'parent' universe.

Here's food for thought: Why should impersonal forces from eternity that caused the universe to come into being in the same time anticipate in themselves living beings in that universe with consciousness that creates philosophy, art, science, language? There's a discrepancy between impersonal forces and personal agents, at least to me, that is.

I think you're looking at the situation entirely backwards, arguing from the assumed conclusion that there is some plan at work. There's nothing problematic about assuming life is an emergent property of a given interactive state of impersonal forces.

This principle sounds attractive at first sight, but it doesn't get you far. You end up a nihilist eventually.

Only if you go looking for meaning imposed on you from without, rather than actively defining your own meaning.

Merridian wrote:I'm reminded of this.

I don't follow superhero comics, but that about what I had in mind. Or John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:12 am

Allemann wrote:Sorry, Morgain, but "We just appeared and won the cosmic lottery. Deal with it"
It's worse than that. There are only a finite number of states within a Hubble volume; so in an infinite universe, everything repeats infinitely often (Tegmark level 1 parallel worlds).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:10 am

Merridian wrote:
NemZ wrote:What if there IS a god, and it hates us? :devil:
:lol: I'm reminded of this.

That reminded me of Space Black God Anno.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:48 am

Merridian wrote:I don't know; sounds good to me. Existence is seems like an inherently meaningless game anyhow, so if I want to continue playing, I just continue living.

You're admitting you're life is absurd.

Why would an impersonal force anticipate anything? If I drop an apple, it falls. The force of gravity doesn't anticipate it falling, it just makes it fall. I don't think I understand what you're trying to say...

I expressed myself unclear. Anticipation is an intentional term.

How can some forces X have something inherent in them that lead to a universe where phenomena like consciousness, meaning, and intentionality appear? Where a being appears that reasons and cognizes about its environment and itself which leads to philosophy, science, and art.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”