Rantings of a frustrated hobby writer

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Kutta
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Kutta » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Merridian wrote:Way off topic, but Kutta—if you’re still reading this—is your avatar Ihsahn? That guy is totally badass.
Yes, he is pure distilled badass. Here he looks a bit like a more evil (?) and more gansgsta version of Gendo. Also, note his unique take on the Gendo Hand Posture. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kutta on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I were to ask you on a date, would your answer be the same as your answer to this question?

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Jimbo wrote: it maybe "equal" but it's "equal" on another level because it's not playing by the standards that traditional literature set.
:nod: Right, that’s my point. But there are only so many traditions you can break until your work ceases entirely to be what the traditions embody. So while stuff like FW is still in the written medium, it has broken SO many traditions that I simply cannot see it as ‘literature’. It’s something else entirely. That’s what I was trying to say—Finnegans Wake is an example of some parallel form of written expression that is even more basal and primal than literature could ever be.

Jimbo wrote: […] I don't see that it so much "destroys" tradition as it does simply create a new paradigm and mode of creation and criticism. That's what I see that Joyce did; he simply gave literature a new way to write and critique literature. He didn't "destroy" anything, he just created something new.
While I do see what you’re saying, I suppose the difference is just a matter of perspective (since we’re almost to the point of ‘terminal agreement’ anyway :lol: ). I just think that the creation of a new paradigm still results in the death of an old paradigm, even when the old paradigm continues to exist in parallel. The mere creation of such a divergent ideology is going to make a lot of audiences’ heads spin and form rifts within the subsequent schools of creation and interpretation, it is often very difficult to reconcile the differences.

In other words, writers can either be artists of literature who use that kind of expression within their works (such as Pynchon, I’d argue, as his books DO have plots, they’re just really convoluted and… strange), or writers can be artists of expression who dabble in literature (Burroughs is my best example; his books have plots as well, but they’re completely secondary to atmosphere, wordplay, and expression). But there is no way any writer can try and use BOTH perspectives simultaneously—at least, none that I know of. I've been playing with the idea with my original AND fan fictions, but the results are still one or the other... never both. Maybe someone will figure out how to do that, but as it stands right now, I don’t see how it’s possible.

Jimbo wrote: Well, I won't sidetrack this lit discussion to start on music.
:lol: I took your initial analogy and ran with it. It was a great analogy that worked well with the topic at hand. I’ll have to look up this Penderecki fellow sometime…

Kutta wrote: Yes, he is pure distilled badass. Here he looks a bit like a more evil (?) and more gansgsta version of Gendo.
:hitthetable: He does! Man, Ihsahn wasn’t the first heavy metal I was introduced to, but his work (& especially his work with Emperor) has had the biggest impact on me. Have you checked out Peccatum? That little project got bashed (STILL gets bashed, actually) by all the black metal purists, but I liked what I've heard. Some of the lyrical themes and song titles are a little pretentious and over-the-top, though.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Well with my last fic all done ( pm me for a link plug plug ), I'm back to the what to write next question. I've got a few pages of notes on two original stories I've never really bitten into, and as many fanfiction ideas in my ideas file ( stargate and Avatar TLAB ). Truth be told I want to see how other people have in the que to help me make up my mind.

So what are you people working on, how far are you into it, and whats lingering in the back of your minds story wise?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:17 am

I'm neck-deep in "Neon Enoch Evangelion" (aka, that thing which isn't coming out in sequence) and it's eating up a huge chunk of my energy and time. I've found I have to fend off some squick-inducing ideas (mpreg in one of my Grigori characters? Errrr... interesting, but let's keep it at "tell, don't show") and deal with mild canon-bending (hey, if Gainax can do it with "Angelic Days", etc, so can I) to the tune of one canonic character nearly getting mauled by an assassin.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:30 am

I just finished Primetime Television, which I've been shamelessly self-promoting in my signature. I post a chapter every week on ff.net, and I've contemplated throwing it in the fandom forum on here, but I never get around to it. :shrug: And anyway it's really obtuse and bizarre, so I'm not sure how well received it'd be.

Next in line for me is a sequel to an original story I wrote last year entitled Man With the Iron Gun. I've got a ton of great ideas that could go into it, but I don't have any real plot or significant characters lined up yet. MWtIG was purposefully loose and disorganized and absurd, since I avoided all semblence of planning and forethought in favor of winging it entirely--this sequel I'm toying with already has more planning put into it, and I haven't even decided what it's ABOUT yet.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 pm

MatrixRefugee wrote:Neon Enoch Evangelion

Is that anything like Neon Eunuch Evangelion?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:17 pm

BrikHaus wrote:

nope Eunuch is what Asuka makes Shinji into for stealing her panties.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 pm

DatDude wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:

nope Eunuch is what Asuka makes Shinji into for stealing her panties.

:: Sporfle!!!::
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:43 pm

I am attempting to create a fic where I can deconstruct a genre of anime specifically the mahou shoujo/magical girl genre. I had read Sailor Nothing and watched Mai Hime however I still feel as though I can use more research on the topic of magical girl or deconstruction. I am not trying to create another Watchmen or Evangelion, I am not really all too sure that I create something at that level but I seem to want to subvert, avert and and possibly invert quite a few tropes in the genre. How much research do I need on magical girls, deconstruction or just about any on storytelling? What would be a good idea for magical girl story that takes something and twists it? And do I need all that mind boggling symbolism that I find prevalent in such literature?
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:25 pm

GAP wrote: I am attempting to create a fic where I can deconstruct a genre of anime specifically the mahou shoujo/magical girl genre.
How about you invert everything? Instead of a girl transforming into a Magical Girl, you have a Magical Guy transform into just some regular jim in order to fight crime and win style points. It could take place in some weird magic/alien/futuristic kingdom on another planet, and when he says some phrase or does some funny dance, he transforms into an average salaryman complete with glasses and a briefcase, and these tools are used to thwart the metaphysical intrusions that threaten the safety of the planet. And each time he fights, he fails, because he lacks initiative and personal ambition, and at the end of the story he casts aside his alter ego to live as a Magical Guy, but when his love interest (make this part up) discovers that he’s actually a Magical Guy—and not the boring salaryman she had fallen for—she abandons him in despair and marries… I dunno… the arch-villain or something. And the arch-villain is actually an extremely benevolent person who sincerely hopes for the best in people, and he works as a caretaker of a hospice house. And he is very, very, very dull. In fact, he isn't a bad guy at all; he's a veritable saint.
At some point, the story could end with this Magical Guy just blending into the background of this Magical World, disillusioned, alone, unknown, and overridden with fear.

In other words, the best way to deconstruct something is to completely invert and/or blow out of proportion all of its key components.

GAP wrote: And do I need all that mind boggling symbolism that I find prevalent in such literature?
Use symbolism only if you find it helps make things easier on you. Just throwing symbolism around to be fancy leads to pretentiousness and overcomplicated plots that fall apart too easily.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:32 pm

Merridian wrote: How about you invert everything? Instead of a girl transforming into a Magical Girl, you have a Magical Guy transform into just some regular jim in order to fight crime and win style points. It could take place in some weird magic/alien/futuristic kingdom on another planet, and when he says some phrase or does some funny dance, he transforms into an average salaryman complete with glasses and a briefcase, and these tools are used to thwart the metaphysical intrusions that threaten the safety of the planet. And each time he fights, he fails, because he lacks initiative and personal ambition, and at the end of the story he casts aside his alter ego to live as a Magical Guy, but when his love interest (make this part up) discovers that he’s actually a Magical Guy—and not the boring salaryman she had fallen for—she abandons him in despair and marries… I dunno… the arch-villain or something. And the arch-villain is actually an extremely benevolent person who sincerely hopes for the best in people, and he works as a caretaker of a hospice house. And he is very, very, very dull. In fact, he isn't a bad guy at all; he's a veritable saint.
At some point, the story could end with this Magical Guy just blending into the background of this Magical World, disillusioned, alone, unknown, and overridden with fear.

In other words, the best way to deconstruct something is to completely invert and/or blow out of proportion all of its key components.

FUND IT.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 am

CorporalChaos wrote:FUND IT.
+1
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:16 am

Since the end of my last story I've been bobing around indecisively trying to get myself going on something else. Its really like this between ever story. Any suggestions on confidence builders ?

Its not really as bad if I get reviews on a story one way or another but I've not gotten much on that front since Ambition. It makes me think I'm going down hill, and can only write insane comedy any more. Not that writing about smurfs and blow wasnt fun but its not something I want to do every day.

Once again advice my brotheren or sistern or future robotic overloads?

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Write about smurfs and weed.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:Write about smurfs and weed.

Smurfs and cocaine ive done http://www.darkscribes.org/site/story.php?story=712

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm talking about the sequel, when they just get blazed and spend their day eating cheetos and watching cartoon network.

But seriously, find something that interests you, or entertains you, and try to write a story based around that. You can't always expect people to write reviews for your stories though.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Their no bite in a story like that sorry. I needed to be random and more of the same wouldnt be random.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:27 pm

The core of a deconstruction is to identify the core elements that make up the genre, realize the hidden implications of those elements, and bring them to light.

For instance, one of the main themes in Majokko is the power of love/friendship to defeat the power of evil...perhaps this truly is the source of her powers. If she doesn't maintain strong friendships and at least one romantic relationship, her powers turn against her. She knows this, and becomes steadily more and more paranoid about losing these relationships even as her desperation turns them apart...things like that, the unsaid implications, prerequisites and consequences...

like everything else in life, I recommend lurking around Tv Tropes. Link in sig.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”