Celebrity RIP Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Most of the people who are revealed as dead in this thread, I have never heard of. How big is the world that there can exist so many celebrities I've never even heard of?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:00 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Wanna recommend me a movie by him, Oz?

He produced the movie In the Realm of the Senses for example.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:48 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:He produced the movie In the Realm of the Senses for example.

That's directed by Nagisa Oshima, though. Having seen it I can say that Oshima's hand weighs more in that film than Wakamatsu's production.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Go Go Second Time Version cracks my 100-best-films of all time list at 93, and In the Realm of the Senses is at 76. Food for thought if you want to check either of those out
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:20 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Go Go Second Time Version cracks my 100-best-films of all time list at 93, and In the Realm of the Senses is at 76. Food for thought if you want to check either of those out

Jimbo stop hijacking ran's account

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm

If he starts posting an update of said list twice each month with his specific scores for each film, we'll know something's up.

Also, In the Realm of the Senses is pretty damn awesome. Oshima 4 ever.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:13 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:Go Go Second Time Version

Mixing up them minimal pairs. :lol:
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:25 am

View Original PostOz wrote:That's directed by Nagisa Oshima, though. Having seen it I can say that Oshima's hand weighs more in that film than Wakamatsu's production.

True, but I got a sense that what InstrumentalityOne looked for is some more familiar movie names which is why I mentioned In The Realm of the Senses.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:46 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:True, but I got a sense that what InstrumentalityOne looked for is some more familiar movie names which is why I mentioned In The Realm of the Senses.

That's true. In the Realm of the Senses also might be something along the lines of what he's looking for anyway.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 am

I've no idea what is what either way, but I added them to my backlog anyway.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I've no idea what is what either way, but I added them to my backlog anyway.

In the Realm of the Senses is among the most well-known Japanese movies overseas....

You can just start to give it a go by clicking the link below
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqickh_in-the-realm-of-the-senses-1976-part-1_fun

And read about what it is about here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Realm_of_the_Senses
Last edited by symbv on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Wikipedia wrote:It generated great controversy during its release;[2] while intended for mainstream wide release, it contains scenes of unsimulated sexual activity

*adds to must-watch queue*
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:46 pm

RIP Dave Brubeck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5UEGKZoGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1gI7qciqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibIO6T7im40
1959 Jazz documentary (Miles, Brubeck, Mingus, Ornette)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

RIP, sir.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:RIP Dave Brubeck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5UEGKZoGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1gI7qciqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibIO6T7im40
1959 Jazz documentary (Miles, Brubeck, Mingus, Ornette)

well.... damn :(

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am

So I've had all 24 of my Dave Brubeck albums playing on repeat (still on the first time through) and it's just weird. It's the same as when Milt Jackson died. Seen them play shows, shook their hands once, and just yesterday he was alive. You listen to the same songs you've heard dozens of times but it's a little different now because these songs are now historical events, there's never going to be any more new Dave Brubeck songs, though in Brubeck's case, he's probably a little old to be cutting new albums.

And like Milt Jackson, I honestly believe Dave Brubeck was a really awesome person. He was pro equality when segregation was rampant, playing in a mixed band (he had a black bass player) and left venues altogether because he was so mad when the owners wouldn't let the african american members of his band play. When he was touring with Duke Ellington, he was put on the cover of Time magazine. He said that Duke came to his hotel room and delivered the magazine, breaking the news to him, and he was crushed; because not only did he not want to be on the cover of Time before Duke Ellington was put on the cover, but the man himself delivered the news.

Salon's doing a running eulogy for Dave where people send in their favorite tracks with an excerpt: http://www.salon.com/2012/12/05/send_us_your_dave_brubeck_tracks/

LA Times' article with a good bit of history: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-dave-brubeck-20121206,0,4002374.story

Pacific's article: http://www.pacific.edu/About-Pacific/Newsroom/2012/December-2012/Dave-Brubeck-Dies-at-91.html

Really AWESOME video of Dave on Open Culture: http://www.openculture.com/2012/12/remembering_jazz_legend_dave_brubeck_rip_with_a_poignant_musical_moment.html

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Spud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Oh man, his music got me into jazz.
I'm giving another listen to Time Out in his honor.

Take Five was easily my favorite next to Springville by Miles Davis
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Sir Patrick Moore.

Heard this on the radio. Didn't think he'd pop his clogs.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Ravi Shankar.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”