how about a literature topic?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:25 am

Synapsid wrote:Does this mean Children of an Elder God comes into play? :leekspin:

Only if the damn thing ever gets finished. On that subject, why was so much time wasted on the boring as all hell dreamquest arc with Asuka and Toji? I thought that would -never- end.

What topic? Fanfics are literature... sorta.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

wander
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wander » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 pm

so, even though i accomplished my resolution last year of reading twenty-five books, i amassed maybe twenty more books that i didn't read in 2008. my resolution to read twenty-five more carried over from last year, only with a twist: i have to read the books i haven't read on my shelf before i can seek out new ones. had i not stagnated on the fountainhead, i would've read more than i did (twenty-eight pure 'novels;' add three if graphic novels count, and two more if volumes of manga count), but what's done is done. i wrote out a checklist during chemistry today; this is what it looks like:

naked lunch
on the road
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
a separate peace
i, robot
franny and zooey
the bell jar
breakfast of champions
cat's cradle
a scanner darkly
fahrenheit 451
the outsiders
lolita
invitation to a beheading
a clockwork orange
catch-22
the wind-up bird chronicle
underground
the electric kool-aid acid test
thus spoke zarathustra
beyond good and evil

this will probably occupy me for a while, depending on how often i sit down to read. but i hit the ground running last year, and i hope i'll be able to read as actively now as i did then.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:26 pm

wander wrote:a clockwork orange

Be sure your copy has a glossary, you're going to need it.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Dartz wrote:Now then, to finish The Dark Tower... and find out what's inside that room.

*snort*

you liked it yeeees? :lol:

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Xard wrote:you liked it yeeees?

win :clap:
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Just finished reading Snow, a Turkish novel. It was good but kinda bland.

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Holy Diver wrote:
wander wrote:a clockwork orange

Be sure your copy has a glossary, you're going to need it.

You know, I can't remember if I used a glossary when I read it. I don't think I did; after a while, the meaning of most words became clear to me as they were used repeatedly in certain contexts. In any case, you can easily find a glossary online, so it's not much of a problem if his copy doesn't have one. In fact, it might even be a more rewarding experience not to use a glossary, at least insofar as that is possible.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 pm

I just finished Stephen King's "Blaze" which was OK. Unfortunately, the ending was completely predictable and cliche. I wish the author would have had some balls and written a different ending in which the bad guy wins, because, at least in the context of this story, it would have been more satisfying.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:11 am

I recently finished reading The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson. Great books, I recommend them, and anything else written by him.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”