Crappy College Textbooks

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Crappy College Textbooks

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Soooo, who here has ever been a victim of shitty textbooks? And by shitty, I mean the examples feel like they're missing 80% of what's needed to understand what's going on after reading the text several times. And no, I don't have problems teaching myself with a book; I taught myself multiple variable calculus by reading a good textbook. Please, indulge the details of your craptacular book adventures!
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:33 pm

I have had shitty college textbooks, but I can't quite remember the names of them for obvious reasons. But what really gets me going is when you are taking a class that has like 4 books and you only use 1 the whole entire semester. What a waste of space that was in my freshman dorm room and now in my current apartment!
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:49 am

Honestly, no, I've never had any college textbooks that I felt were shitty in that manner. About the worst I can say for any of them is that my European history textbook wasn't very engaging, despite the fact that I love history. That was an issue with the style of the text, though, not the content.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:31 am

I've always had more problems with the professors than I did with the textbooks themselves; after all, it is ultimately the choice of the professors, not the book publishers, on what would be used in the lecture hall and subsequent tests

there has also been the aspect of political correctness and general left-wingedness that's bothered me in more recently published textbooks (and some professors too)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:58 am

The worst professors arew the ones dumb enough to be completely incapable of finding the lecture room, or inconsiderate enough not to email and say that the early morning class has been cancelled.

If the lecturer is engaging and interesting, the topic will flow and is so much easier to understand. If we get a drone... Professor Ppt Karaoke... it's hard to do anything but sleep. It hard to take interest in the subject. Attention drifts, and eventually we just give up.

There's also the lecturers who assume students are printers in an exam... that we dont have to think about our answers before writing them, we can just regurgitate answers onto the page from memory. The worst example I've experienced being a 2 hour exam with 4 questions, each of which would take a competent student an hour to answer.

What do they care, they're oinly in it for the research
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Re: Crappy College Textbooks

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 am

Iron Rooster wrote:And by shitty, I mean the examples feel like they're missing 80% of what's needed to understand what's going on after reading the text several times.

A lot of medical textbooks are like that. They give only one example, or assume you are already somewhat familiar with a certain topic. Also, they are written in the most boring style possible. While there are a few excellent ones out there, many seem to be very badly written despite them being about such important topics.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”