Consumer decisions: Aesthetics

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Consumer decisions: Aesthetics

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:33 pm

It's widely known that even though many competitors' products offer nearly identical performance, many companies pull ahead of the rest of the pack because they can design their products to be more aesthetically pleasing. Just out of curiosity, how much do people here look at how a product looks when buying it?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is cars.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:42 am

Depends on how much I'm paying for how much better it looks. I won't pay much more usually.

In cars seems to be the only noticeable place. If it affects me elsewhere I'm not remembering or it's not a conscious choice toward aesthetics.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:59 am

There should be only one kind/color of Tshirt, Long sleeve shirt, sweater, pants, shorts, boots and sneakers.

The only Tshirt is a black one with a race car on it, deal with it it does the same job as any other Tshirt.

If you buy clothes for how they look, you are as shallow as any 15 year old girl on myspace who listens to "I kissed a girl" very loud in her bedroom while her parents are sleeping (RudeGirlz). Clothes are there for covering your disgusting fat body and keeping you warm, not for looking cool.

I really can't believe that some companies are ahead in the clothing business just because their clothes look 'cooler' than others.

Seriously, stop being so shallow.

Also, music is shallow. The only reason people listen to music is because it sounds pretty to them, that is shallow you need to look deeper than that. I believe all music should be banned. I'm can see this law getting passed in the future, hopefully not only in America but in other states as well (Europe, Germany, etc.)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:28 am

Zkh wrote:The only reason people listen to music is because it sounds pretty to them
Why do people listen to Meshuggah then? I don't think the sound of a construction site is pretty to anyone...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Zkh wrote:The only Tshirt is a black one with a race car on it, deal with it it does the same job as any other Tshirt.

No, the only T-Shirt is red with Santa screwing a loli.

I tend to check the quality of the product if its higher in value. That, or if its important.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:09 pm

I buy on function. Aesthetics are part of function for a very small range of items, limited almost entirely to clothing and gifts.

For clothing, these days what I really hate is how difficult it is to find clothing that isn't doubling as an advertising hoarding -- it used to be that only metal heads and D&Ders wore legible clothing; but now it takes a lot of finding if you're after plain items.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:11 pm

When it comes to music, I don't give a shit what the band looks like. As long as I'm liking the music they play, I'll buy it. With bands who preform gimmicks and such, like KISS, Slipknot, etc. I don't mind, as long as I like the music. I won't avoid a band because they use gimmicks, but I won't like a band for it either.

With clothes, of course, I tend to go for looks. I'm a teen, it's what I do. But I won't go, "ZOMFG, THIS WILL MAKE ME COOL IF I WEAR THIS" No. I go with what I personally like.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:21 pm

Did someone say that they bought cars based on asthetics of the vehicle? because thats a shitty way to get a car that runs. You could buy something that you can't maintain, a gas hog, something with terrible safety features, the list goes on.

Same goes with a lot of consumer products. The companies want to sucker people by making things look fancy, but if it don't work, don't buy it. Function before form.

It helps my dad always fixed things for my family; that way I learned these things the easy way - easy for me, that is. Things break, and we didn't have the money to throw stuff away, so it got repaired instead. So we bought/buy stuff that won't break or is easy to fix.

If it looks cool, it probably doesn't fit either criteria.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Sachi_13 wrote:When it comes to music, I don't give a shit what the band looks like. As long as I'm liking the music they play, I'll buy it. With bands who preform gimmicks and such, like KISS, Slipknot, etc. I don't mind, as long as I like the music. I won't avoid a band because they use gimmicks, but I won't like a band for it either.

With clothes, of course, I tend to go for looks. I'm a teen, it's what I do. But I won't go, "ZOMFG, THIS WILL MAKE ME COOL IF I WEAR THIS" No. I go with what I personally like.

Me and my coach both agree that I was talking about how the band SOUNDS pretty to people not looks, and sounding pretty is still an aesthetic.

When I go into a clothing store I buy whatever clothing articles of my size I first see regardless of gender because I'm not shallow, I'm humble and can enjoy the simple things instead of being consumer you-know-whats like the rest of America.

I should probably be president.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Zkh wrote:
If you buy clothes for how they look, you are as shallow as any 15 year old girl on myspace who listens to "I kissed a girl" very loud in her bedroom while her parents are sleeping (RudeGirlz).

that's pretty much been the themesong of my workplace the last two weeks. every ten minutes i hear someone humming it or singing it. its just too damn catchy.

also, we're not the ones being shallow, you're the one being a PRETENTIOUS fuckhead. aesthetics are important weather you believe they are or not. I don't exactly embrace the rampant irresponsible consumerism thats gripped the united states for the last few decades, but lets not be ridiculous here.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:17 pm

I'll agree with Sachi on the music, I don't buy on looks, I buy on sound.

And quite honestly, if I want a T-Shirt I like, I'll go buy a plain shirt from wal-mart and do an iron-on. I'll pretty much wear anything.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:49 am

Please don't quote entire posts.

Wow could you get any more rude? I was being honest and logical and you are being pretty mean! and using pretentious on an evangelion forum is probably a hilarious thing to do.

Also why do people keep talking about buying music for looks, i mean who does that for real you're acting as if people do why don't you chill out.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:54 am

Thread needs moar chee. Also, :|.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:18 am

slothen wrote:also, we're not the ones being shallow, you're the one being a PRETENTIOUS fuckhead. aesthetics are important weather you believe they are or not. I don't exactly embrace the rampant irresponsible consumerism thats gripped the united states for the last few decades, but lets not be ridiculous here.

Zkh wrote:Wow could you get any more rude? I was being honest and logical and you are being pretty mean! and using pretentious on an evangelion forum is probably a hilarious thing to do.

Guys. CHILL.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:11 pm

As for me... If I go to buy something, usually there's only one of them I can afford (probably just barely, too -- I might end up borrowing money to get it), so not much room for aesthetics. That said, in clothing, aesthetics takes over choice as soon as more important things are taken care of (comfort, practicality, drying time, placement of magic symbols, number of buttons, etc.) Sometimes, there is a major overlap (ex., thinkpads are amazingly durable and quite easy to repair, very good quality, well designed, AND they look totally awesome, whereas most laptops on the market are curvy pieces of weak, fragile silvery plastic with innards that you'll never be able to put back together once you take them apart, and with a planned breakdown period of a year or two. I have thinkpads that work that I've had since the days when the Pentium I was the top of the line).

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:26 pm

I place aesthetics above all else. That's why my entire wardrobe is Abercrombie & Fitch, and I don't date any girls over 125 lbs.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:43 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I place aesthetics above all else. That's why my entire wardrobe is Abercrombie & Fitch, and I don't date any girls over 125 lbs.

YOU DON'T BELONG HERE ON THE INTERBUTT!

Oh wait..brikhaus sarcasm.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:00 pm

Zkh wrote:and using pretentious on an evangelion forum is probably a hilarious thing to do.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w179/kingpoopa84/1176387326941.jpg

Zkh wrote:There should be only one kind/color of Tshirt, Long sleeve shirt, sweater, pants, shorts, boots and sneakers.

The only Tshirt is a black one with a race car on it, deal with it it does the same job as any other Tshirt.

I also think that is pretty hilarious. also, why a race car? why not make it plain? clothes are just another method of self expression, a damned important one, weather you like it or not. If you think that anything that happens to be superficial in nature is automatically shallow, then yeah, thats pretty pretentious of you, because you've dismissed an entire aspect of the human experience with a single word.

Zkh wrote:Also, music is shallow.... I believe all music should be banned.

seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? what do you believe? where did these ideas come from? why is it that a racecar is okay?

UrsusArctos wrote:Guys. CHILL.

oh, I'm chill. but sometimes people post things that are just too... intriguing... to let slide.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Slothen, see this thread. Zkh admitted he was a troll, that he was only here to troll; he even said he doesn't like Eva, and he probably finds it "pretentious". I don't think he's coming back.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Zkh isn't being serious, but just having some fun/trolling you guys like MM would. You probably couldn't tell since he didn't use Communist or Nazi propaganda.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”