[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

funeral_fog
Embryo

Postby funeral_fog » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:32 am

I'm enjoying the new Radiohead (or the first half of it..) quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it their BEST effort like some people are. To each his own I guess, I'll have to wait and see for a second half if there is one >_>

Been on an Emerson, Lake and Palmer binge as of late. Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy really are very solid prog rock albums worthy of a listen, though the "lighter" tunes might turn a few people off..

Aside from that, it's all about Blind Guardian this week. If any Power Metal band deserves your unquestioning loyalty and worship, it's this one. SOMEWHEEEERE FAAAR BEYOOOOOND!
Ya gotta watch out for those Terminator Maids, y'know..

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:05 am

I didn't do it last night, but tonight I'm listening to Metal Machine Music. I'm like 7 minutes in, and I'm actually enjoying so far.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:54 am

checking out some really ambient stuff at the moment. Helios is some of the greatest lay back and chill stuff I've heard.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 am

Look into Erik Satie. He's considered by many to be a forefather of ambient music. One of my favorite composers.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 am

Just got the Mumford and Sons album as well as a new Battlefield Band CD. I got Time and Tide (easily my favorite) and Zama Zama.
When they come back to my area, later this year I will keep my eyes out for some of their earlier CD's

They have always had a special place in my heart.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDiVyra7jd0&feature=related[/url]
Youtube doesn't do them justice so its the best I could find

They play Traditional Scottish
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Going through King's X discography. I've said it before, I'll say it again: BY FAR the most underrated bands of the late 80s/early 90s. What other band combines the musical intricacy and instrumental adeptness of Dream Theater with the harmonic/melodic and song-centric style of The Beatles?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 am

Whoa Innerpartysystem just dropped off a new EP called Never Be Content. This thing is soooo freakin' dancey, they must have completely scrapped using guitars (what little they did anyways). The EP version of "American Trash" is strange sounding...I liked the original better. Also there's a significant lack of "meh" tracks as opposed to their full-length debut. Can't wait for the sister EP that's due out this summer.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm

I´ve been listening a lot to my past top-secret guilty pleasure lately.

Curtis Mayfield.

I just fucking love Curtis Mayfield, who else here enjoys Curtis Mayfield´s music?

psy
Embryo

Postby psy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Venetian Snares - Colorless

I fucking love how diverse VSnares is when it comes to making music. It's hard to believe that someone who composed a melancholic and deep classical piece like this is the same guy that made an entire breakcore album out of sound samples of him and his girlfriend having drunken sex

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:20 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Curtis Mayfield.

I just fucking love Curtis Mayfield, who else here enjoys Curtis Mayfield´s music?
I'm more of a Herbie Hancock fan myself, but Mayfield produced some good stuff
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:39 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I´ve been listening a lot to my past top-secret guilty pleasure lately.

Curtis Mayfield.

How on earth does Curtis Mayfield's music constitute "guilty" in terms of its pleasure? One should feel guilty to not love his music.

If you want guilty pleasures, I'm listening to Dave Matthews Band of all things right now. The song "Crush." Really, I do think it's a terrific song. I remember getting this CD when I was 11 years old, not even really to the point where I was interested in girls yet (though not too far away from it), but because of this song, I knew exactly what it felt like to be "in love," as they say.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:If you want guilty pleasures, I'm listening to Dave Matthews Band of all things right now

I currently have a much better guilty pleasure. Yesterday I downloaded like five Dead or Alive albums. Completely vapid, ridiculously flamboyant, offensively gay and morbidly catchy eighties synth-pop.

WHAT I REALLY NEED TO DO IS FIND MYSELF A BRAND NEW LOVER, SOMEONE REAL NICE TO ME WHO DOESN'T NOTICE ALL THE OTHERS!

The front man, Pete Burns. My god, Pete Burns. It takes untold tides of charisma and stage presence to be able to pull off the level of gay that he operates at. It's almost inspiring. And the voice. Sweet Christ, that voice!

THERE'S SOMETHING IN MY HOUSE, MY HOUSE!

He's even more cancerously catchy than Gaga, and equally outlandish, but in a not nearly as interesting way. Curse you pop music, for taking advantage of my delicate, faggoty sensibilities!

LOVER COME BACK TO ME, YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOCK ON MY DOOR, NO, LOVER COME BACK TO ME!

:boohoo:
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 pm

^Goddamn. Thanks for reminding me how awesome 80s music videos were.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Dave Matthews Band?! ha ha ha, what a loser, are you gonna listen to Barenaked Ladies next too? or maybe ABBA and then Britney Spears?

I'm just kidding, of course

and to be fair, I have more than my fair share of guilty listening pleasures due to my hedonistic tendencies and upbringing, consisting primarily of sappy adult alternative stuff from the 1980's and 1990's, i.e. one-hit wonder "Barely Breathing", "Brick" by Ben Folds Five, "Bittersweet" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters, most anything off of Matchbox Twenty's Yourself or Someone Like You, chick rock like the music you would hear at Lilith Fair, CCM like Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith, most everything by solo Phil Collins, and everything ever recorded by Christopher Cross

"Sailing" is such a magical song

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:most anything off of Matchbox Twenty's Yourself or Someone Like You
Big fan myself. I was obsessed with this album when it first came out, and I still dig it today. Though I like The Goo Goo Dolls a little more now. Pretty much everything they did up to and including Dizzy Up the Girl was great. Gutterflower is when it all started going wrong.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 pm

I totally agree with you about the Goo Goo Dolls, though for me it was when "Iris" came along that I could not take it

for me somewhere between "Name" and "Long Way Down" is where the goodness was
Last edited by THE Hal E. Burton 9000 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:01 am

Well, it was the success of Iris that sent them on their downward spiral to sellout land. But the album it was from, Dizzy Up the Girl, is probably my favorite from them and it was kinda a contemporary to M20's Yourself... so both hold a special place for me. I actually really liked Iris when it came out, but, fuck, radio just murdered it with overplay.

And let me just say that Falling Down is a killer song, and Conan was, like, way young (in that clip).

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:10 am

I actually liked a lot of Dizzy Up The Girl, and after hearing it the first time I felt like Iris was just OK and not as good as Name, but yeah, radio made me hate it like mad

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I actually liked a lot of Dizzy Up The Girl, and after hearing it the first time I felt like Iris was just OK and not as good as Name, but yeah, radio made me hate it like mad
Black Balloon is probably my favorite thing from them. So damned haunting.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Yuki Kajiura and the singers she finds are GODLIKE. :w00t:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”