[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

Postby planet news » Fri May 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Love. Love will tear us apart. Again. -- Substance
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 pm

for me, Substance is pointless, since I own Heart & Soul
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat May 08, 2010 2:38 am

I've been listening to Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde double album and Patti Smith's Horses since yesterday. These two make me go "ZOMG AWSUM" every single time I listen to them.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Lui
Adam

Postby Lui » Sat May 08, 2010 11:47 am

Currently trying to listen to all of the 7535 songs on my iTunes. I am about 1/10th of the way through.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun May 09, 2010 12:24 am

Thomas Dolby has released his first studio track in twenty years; here's the TEDTalk.

If you only think about "She Blinded Me with Science" when you hear that name, you should give The Golden Age of Wireless and The Flat Earth a listen. The new remasters sound fantastic.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby AVman9 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:48 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Thomas Dolby has released his first studio track in twenty years; here's the TEDTalk.

If you only think about "She Blinded Me with Science" when you hear that name, you should give The Golden Age of Wireless and The Flat Earth a listen. The new remasters sound fantastic.

Woah Mark Knopfler? He alone will make it good.
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun May 09, 2010 3:00 am

View Original PostAVman9 wrote:Woah Mark Knopfler? He alone will make it good.

The guy has amazing connections -- Eddie Van Halen and Jerry Garcia sat in on his last album, the one before that featured George Clinton, he co-released a single with Ryuichi Sakamoto (of Yellow Magic Orchestra), and he produced about half of Prefab Sprout's albums. He's played the evil teacher in a live stage performance of The Wall with Roger Waters, and was the keyboardist on the original recording of "Video Killed the Radio Star."

When I met him, I got the impression of a master networker who remembers everyone's name, no matter if they're Bill Gates or some dude from his fan club.

And, yeah, I should listen to more Mark Knopfler outside of my "Dire Straits' Greatest Hits" disc.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby AVman9 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 pm

For me there's two big acts that I want to see really bad this year:

Rush -- Time Machine Tour. They're playing ALL of moving pictures. Can't pass it up. (Already got tickets for me and three other people!)

Roger Waters -- The Wall live. I've had many dreams of seeing this epic show with my own eyes, but thinking it would never be played live again. Turns out I was wrong! Problem is tickets are going to be EXPENSIVE, and the closest shows to me are in Chicago...on weekdays...not sure why they were scheduled like that but w/e.
---------
I would also consider seeing Tool if they come around my area, but it's looking like they won't even come close.
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Wed May 12, 2010 5:02 am

View Original PostAVman9 wrote:Rush -- Time Machine Tour. They're playing ALL of moving pictures.

I hadn't heard about this, and I'm really jealous. I saw Rush on the Snakes and Arrows tour -- one of my favorite concerts of all time. They are probably the most professional live rock band out there.

I'm seriously thinking about flying to the West Coast to see them. Well, not that seriously.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 pm

The 2005 Live version of Never Gonna Give You Up is awesome. I really like it! More than the original version, which I'm sure all of you have heard at some point.
LOLRICKROLLEDLOLLOLRICKROLLEDLOLLOLLOLLOLRICKROLLEDLOLLOL
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri May 14, 2010 8:51 pm

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/5556-how-to-destroy-angels-the-space-in-between-null

Best music video created in a while?

Director:
http://www.rupertsanders.com/

I really love this guys vibe. Sort of Lost Highway David Lynch gone Excellent.

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat May 15, 2010 2:08 am

---
Last edited by Born of Lilith on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 am

View Original Postshinseiki wrote:Burzum, Mayhem,
which albums? I dig Mayhem's earlier stuff if only because of its 'historical importance', but I thought that pretty much everything after De Mysteris (itself not a stellar album) is emotionally dead and lacking the genuine ferocity that made early Mayhem such an intense listen.

Burzum's pretty cool, though. Heard he just released a new metal-oriented album, which is somewhat surprising. I haven't listened to the album yet, but most of the reviews I've read haven't been kind.

To prepare for Cynic's new EP, as well as both Rosetta's and Red Sparrowes' new albums (RS's already released theirs, but I won't be getting my copy until the end of the month), I've been listening to a lot of Cynic and post-metal bands.

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Mon May 17, 2010 8:10 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:which albums? I dig Mayhem's earlier stuff if only because of its 'historical importance', but I thought that pretty much everything after De Mysteris (itself not a stellar album) is emotionally dead and lacking the genuine ferocity that made early Mayhem such an intense listen.

I've only heard Grand Declaration of War out of the later album myself, but I thought it was a REALLY bad album overall. There's a few good ideas on there, but they're mixed and mashed in with so many absolutely terrible and out of place ideas at the same time. To top it off, you have Maniac shitting all over everything with his horrid harsh vocals and Hellhammer's drums being mixed in too loudly.

It's not a good album by any means, but it would've at least been listenable with Attila Cshilar on the mic.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 17, 2010 10:28 pm

My mother recently bought a copy of Marillion's Clutching At Straws, and I've been listening to it today. I must say that I am diggin' it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 pm

I only really listened to the really early stuff by Mayhem

i'm not really that big on Black Metal, though
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 pm

View Original PostSepulcural Voice wrote:I've only heard Grand Declaration of War out of the later album myself, but I thought it was a REALLY bad album overall. [...]
I agree 100%. And they've only gotten worse. I own Dawn of the Black Hearts, Live in Leipzig, De Mysteriis, and Grand Declaration--and GDoW is an awful exercise in pretentiousness; I mean, their earlier stuff isn't musically intricate nor even all that outrageously incredible in terms of atmospheres, but I have to give the live albums credit for being unquestionably ferocious and uncompromising in their overall sound. But they really lost direction once their leader got himself killed.

I tried to listen to Ordo ad Chao, their last album (hopefully it stays that way), but its production was beyond overcompensating. Bad songs are on thing, but to intentionally fuck up the sound engineering on an album out of some misguided attempt to appeal to some spirit of metal that the band has long since lost... it just feels so hokey and dishonest that it should have been a farce.

Sepulcural Voice wrote:It's not a good album by any means, but it would've at least been listenable with Attila Cshilar on the mic.
:lol: very true

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon May 17, 2010 11:04 pm

the Deathcrush EP is a fun listen, I have to admit

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon May 17, 2010 11:20 pm

^:lol: yeah Deathcrush is pretty fun, especially being pretty much the 'first of its kind' as one of the first documents of black metal as it would come to be known (barring that retroactively-labeled "First Wave" group of NWoBH and Thrash guys). It's fun, but it's also really really short. And you can still definitely tell that black metal wasn't quite fully developed as its own genre yet. Still working out the kinks...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 17, 2010 11:25 pm

For anybody that cares, Avenged Sevenfold released their new song, Nightmare, featuring Mike Portnoy on the drums. It might only be because of Mike Portnoy that I've been paying even a hair's breadth of attention to this band, but I must say that I am happy with what I'm hearing in this song. If they keep up the mood throughout the entire album, it may be a winner in my book.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”