Recent Hauls

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat May 07, 2011 6:14 am

>Syntactic Theory: A Formal Introduction
:scanners_head:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Sat May 07, 2011 6:23 am

View Original PostOz wrote:>Syntactic Theory: A Formal Introduction
:scanners_head:

It's a beginners textbook about Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. Reserve the gif for The Minimalist Program.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat May 07, 2011 6:36 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:It's a beginners textbook about Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. Reserve the gif for The Minimalist Program.

Fair enough. :lol:
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Of all of your idiosyncrasies, Muggy, your obsession with typewriters has to be the strangest!

I think what you consider strange is strange. The keys of a PC are much too flat and porous. It's like typing on spongecake. Nothing can beat the visceral feeling of your fingers going down hard on glass and metal, the downward momentum surging up through the typebars, and pummeling the paper. It creates a rhythm of clicks, clacks and rings that reverberates throughout your entire body, and imbues every single letter you type with a feeling of weight and power. Fuck, if only there was a machine that could combine the electric physicality of a typewriter with the ease, convenience and excess of a PC . . . Maybe it could type on some kind of membrane that you could erase with your fingers? Then you could just peel off the top layer, and there's what you wrote? Oh, I wish to see such a device outside of my dreams one day!

But to bring this back to reality, I just won an IBM Selectric II off of eBay.

SPOILER: Show

I've never wrote on an electric before, so this offers me a whole new world of opportunity. It has a letter-studded golf-ball-like device instead of a basket of typebars, as well as a white correcting ribbon that literally pulls unwanted characters off the page. It's truly the forerunner to the word processor, because you can replace the ball with other ones for different fonts and sizes. I'm hoping that, if I do serialize Evergreen Furrow in embedded typewriter pages, then this lovely anachronism can help pretty-up my manuscript without it being too noticeable. I wouldn't want my eager readers to suffer through typos or scratches.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:That's a cool little antiquity, nonetheless... brings back memories of my mom's typewriter that I first learned to type on... ahhhh, memories.

Do you remember what brand, make or model it was? Or what it looked like?
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 12:56 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Nothing can beat the visceral feeling of your fingers going down hard on glass and metal, the downward momentum surging up through the typebars, and pummeling the paper. It creates a rhythm of clicks, clacks and rings that reverberates throughout your entire body, and (...)

For some reason, I now have this visual in my head of you typing passionately upon a bizarre hermaphroditic sex-monster. Though perhaps the mouth of the Mugwump would be more appropriate...

Damn, now I need to watch that movie again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 am

Congratulations on getting your first electric typewriter Mugwump.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:if only there was a machine that could combine the electric physicality of a typewriter with the ease, convenience and excess of a PC . . .
You want a teletype running on a serial line to the box with the CPU and display. They take serious physical effort to depress the keys.

You can tell the people of my sort of age whose first experience with a keyboard was a teletype -- you can hear them pounding away all across the office.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 09, 2011 2:50 am

Since YesAsia FINALLY shipped my Game Tour Live DVD, I decided to make my next order. This time I made an order from CDJapan because I want to try how fast and reliable they are. Besides, it's a future investment as I want to save up points that I can use as discount for possible future releases.

So what did I order? All the singles Perfume released last year: Natural ni Koishite / Fushizen na Girl, Voice and Nee. All of them are epic and it's a shame I didn't realize I should have got the limited releases back when they were still in print. Oh well, c'est la vie.

It has begun. :mwahaha:

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:For some reason, I now have this visual in my head of you typing passionately upon a bizarre hermaphroditic sex-monster.

:blush:

R-Reichu, don't be silly, I would never use a classy woman like you for that! I mean, where would we put the paper? I can think of a few places, but it probably wouldn't be good for the paper.

We could take turns fingering away on one of these, though.

Reichu wrote:Though perhaps the mouth of the Mugwump would be more appropriate...

Oh yes. If I had one of those, there would be too very distinct varieties of Mugwump jissom in that glass.

Mr. Tines wrote:You want a teletype running on a serial line to the box with the CPU and display. They take serious physical effort to depress the keys.

Sweet Jesus! I just looked up teletypewriters on eBay, and those things are expensive! Well, that, or just not for sale. I think I only found one, and it was two-hundred dollars and broken. No doubt trying to find one of these will take a great deal of effort and research, and that's not even mentioning the set-up. But it will all be worth it if I can one day live in a dark room like a crazy person, surrounded by vintage electronics and constant, maddening drones and beeps.

Mr. Tines wrote:You can tell the people of my sort of age whose first experience with a keyboard was a teletype -- you can hear them pounding away all across the office.

It must be bliss to be surrounded by a symphony of clacks from the pummeled keys.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 11, 2011 2:54 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I think what you consider strange is strange. The keys of a PC are much too flat and porous. It's like typing on spongecake. Nothing can beat the visceral feeling of your fingers going down hard on glass and metal, the downward momentum surging up through the typebars, and pummeling the paper. It creates a rhythm of clicks, clacks and rings that reverberates throughout your entire body, and imbues every single letter you type with a feeling of weight and power.
Your description of typing on a typewriter is so erotic it made me think that me typing on my keyboard is rather like screwing a flat-chested chick with a limp penis... I guess I've just gotten used to PC keyboards. I've got small hands anyway so I like that I barely have to touch the keys to press them down and, so sue me, I like the silence. I prefer my typing to be like stealthy ninjas rather than drunken Nascar fans.

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Do you remember what brand, make or model it was? Or what it looked like?
Just for you I called her up and asked: it was a Silver Weed. She didn't know the model, but looking them up online I think it was a 225c.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I think what you consider strange is strange. The keys of a PC are much too flat and porous. It's like typing on spongecake. Nothing can beat the visceral feeling of your fingers going down hard on glass and metal, the downward momentum surging up through the typebars, and pummeling the paper. It creates a rhythm of clicks, clacks and rings that reverberates throughout your entire body, and imbues every single letter you type with a feeling of weight and power.

All very true, but the particular visceral feeling I remember when I was pushed by my parents to learn typing (using a conventional heavy steel typewriter of course) when I was 10 was the hatred I had with the A key. Who in the hell in their right mind would put one of the most used alphabets at the position of the little finger?? My left little finger just got so tired and numb after typing a few dozen words because in those days it really took force to press down the key and for a kid it was not always as easy as pressing the computer keys.... I still thank my parents for having the insight of making me pick up typing so that I can type with all 10 fingers without looking at the keys instead of feeling all clumsy using only 2 fingers and constantly checking if I am pressing the right key. Yet I maintain my dislike of the design of the qwerty key arrangement, particularly the torturing A.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 pm

I CAN BUY A BD PLAYER LATER. I GUESS I'LL JUST SELL MY FUNI DVDS OR SOMETHING AND NOW I HAVE TO GET 1.11 Japanese BD. WHY AM I SHOUTING LIKE THIS?

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance. (Evangelion Shin Gekijoban: Ha) [Blu-ray](Blu-ray)
Animation | Release Date:2010/05/26 | Catalog No.:KIXA-35 *First Press Bonus

$85 that was SO worth it. (Import DVDs usually cost me $50 at least so I'm not surprised by the price.) I wonder what my film strip will be. :jiggy:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Dear SSD

Marijuana is still not the answer.

Regards,
Management

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed May 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Awesome buy, SSD. Japanese BDs are always funn to buy. Where'd you purchase it from?
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Smith: :hitthetable: I never would, no worries there.

I bought even more insane purchases, to be honest. I once imported an Eva game with extras that totaled to over $100. I bet the majority of the fandom in general has spent over $1000 on Eva crap.

IrkenEvangelion: CDJapan. I was browsing just for shits and giggles and stumbled across it by chance. Lucked out, I guess.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed May 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Good choice! :thumbsup: That's where I get all of my straight from Japan stuff. They're defiantly the best site for things like that, especially BDs.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed May 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah, I've brought things from them before, they're one of my first choices with importing stuff from Japan.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

You should always pre-order Strike Witches stuff. Always.

Postby Killer Bee » Thu May 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Got some stuff this week. From CDJapan I got the first two volumes of Madoka along with the two Strike Witches: Starlight Stream CDs.

From Mandarake I got the first Witch in Africa doujinshi (WHICH IS BILINGUAL HOLY SHIT) for the low, low price of 2400 yen shipped.

And last but not least I picked up the new Yu-Gi-Oh! game from GameStop. I traded in a few old Wii and Xbox games I never play and thought were worthless and ended up getting $76 for them.

Pantsu  SPOILER: Show
Pre-order bonus for the second Starlight Stream CD.

Front:

Back:

Mmm... laminated. :liplick:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 pm

If you're looking for a computer keyboard with real feel and feedback to it, get yourself an IBM Model M:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

They're still manufactured -- you can get USB adapters for them!

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu May 12, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:If you're looking for a computer keyboard with real feel and feedback to it, get yourself an IBM Model M

Drinian, every time you give me tech advice, I fall deeper and deeper in love with you. This sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for! In particular, this excerpt from an article linked to on Wikipedia perfectly captures my feelings on the physical weight issue, without any of the blatant eroticisation.

An Ode to Clicky Keys wrote:My All Things Considered story about the Model M keyboard is, of course, shot through with journalistic bias. I am unabashed in my preference for the metallic ring of an old keyboard's spring-loaded keys. I won't apologize for this partiality, but I will try to explain it.

Some old writer once said that in order to keep going, he needed to hear the scratch of the pen on the page . . . Obviously, this was succeeded by other noises: the zip of the platen, the thwock of the typebar, the electric jump of a Selectric "golf ball." Whatever the noise, it was a mechanical reality, perfectly synchronized with the moment a letter was committed to paper. Those noises were evidence of writing as a physical act.

With word processing, writing has become more tenuous. Infinitely variable and backspaceable.

This isn't necessarily good or bad, but it is different. Cheryl Lowry, the writer and Model M fan who opens my All Things Considered story, told me she writes differently when she switches to a manual typewriter. Her writing is more premeditated. She pauses to think before she commits words to paper.

. . .

The Model M is not a typewriter. But it may very well be the last computer keyboard designed to feel like one. Neil Muyskens, the fellow whose tiny Lexington company pckeyboard.com still makes the old-style keyboards, told me that when IBM set out to design the Model M in the 1980s, it was trying to emulate the feel of the Selectric (possibly the best electric typewriter ever made).

That's why the Model M has a spring under each key: When that spring buckles, it unambiguously communicates that fact to your fingertip. You feel the letter being made; there's no need to pound all the way to the bottom just to be sure. With the Model M, word processing retains an element of physical reality.

It looks like I can nab an old one relatively cheap on eBay. Now, if I understand this correctly, I could connect a twenty-year old keyboard to my two-year old laptop with a ps/2 to USB connector, and everything will run smoothly? Or would that only work with a desktop? The prospect of ditching this wad of spongecake for good is getting me all giddy.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”