Recent Hauls

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Nice haul, Jimbo.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks. As soon as I can dl the RAW converter I'll post some images I've taken with the Sony today.

Edit: or maybe not. Files are about 140MBs a piece. Guess I'll have to compress to JPEG.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:25 am

Got a little extra money yesterday so I made a cheap DVD order that included Naoko Ogigami's Kamome Diner, Toshiya Fujita's Lady Snowblood and Yoshifumi Kondo's Whisper of the Heart.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Please allow me to quote Xard here.
View Original PostXard wrote:キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!
キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!
キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!

The items I received today are as follows.
[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0077.jpg]Image[/URL]
- Spice and Wolf novel volume XVI with limited print and postcard
- Summer Wars on Blu-ray (there's an old guy in the picture with a Datsun muscle shirt on which I thought was awesome, I have an old beat up 67' Datsun pickup that needs a lot of work... someday...)
AND
- AZONE INTERNATIONAL HYBRID ACTIVE FIGURE CHARACTER SERIES "HOLO" FROM SPICE AND WOLF!!!!! :o!!!!!!

[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0064.jpg]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0067.jpg]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0072.jpg]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0076.jpg]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0083.jpg]Image[/URL]
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

I'm afraid her twintails will snap off...

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:35 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:- AZONE INTERNATIONAL HYBRID ACTIVE FIGURE CHARACTER SERIES "HOLO" FROM SPICE AND WOLF!!!!! :o!!!!!!

I HATE YOU :shinji_boohoo:

Figma Miku arrived today. I've been trying so hard not to become a Mikufag, but with Vocaloid2 announced for an English release I don't think I'll be able to resist anymore.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 pm

More Miike from huuto.net arrived yesterday
SPOILER: Show
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 pm

^I haven't seen that one, which... kinda surprises me. Let me know how it is.

To the figfags in this thread, I'm afraid I will be joining your ranks soon enough. Out of curiosity Killer Bee, does the Miku fig live up to its promo pics?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:The items I received today are as follows.
[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=DSCI0077.jpg]Image[/URL]
- Spice and Wolf novel volume XVI with limited print and postcard
- Summer Wars on Blu-ray (there's an old guy in the picture with a Datsun muscle shirt on which I thought was awesome, I have an old beat up 67' Datsun pickup that needs a lot of work... someday...)
AND
- AZONE INTERNATIONAL HYBRID ACTIVE FIGURE CHARACTER SERIES "HOLO" FROM SPICE AND WOLF!!!!! :o!!!!!!

That's awesome haul :thumbsup:

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I HATE YOU :shinji_boohoo:

Figma Miku arrived today. I've been trying so hard not to become a Mikufag, but with Vocaloid2 announced for an English release I don't think I'll be able to resist anymore.

lol

tumbling down tumbling down~

the halls of sanity, that is. I see. Oh wow.

lol. :D ;__;

View Original PostMerridian wrote:To the figfags in this thread, I'm afraid I will be joining your ranks soon enough.

:devil: :devil: :devil:

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 am

View Original PostXard wrote:That's awesome haul :thumbsup:

Why thank ya. The movie was amazing. I wish I could read the novel though...

View Original PostMerridian wrote:To the figfags in this thread, I'm afraid I will be joining your ranks soon enough.

Yay! We are a growing force :devil:

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I HATE YOU :shinji_boohoo:

As you should, she took a lot (too much?) of money and a LOT of time constantly checking Yahoo Auctions.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

*shimapan not included

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Out of curiosity Killer Bee, does the Miku fig live up to its promo pics?

Yes. My only gripe is that her hands use the old Figma pegs which are knotted at the end so they "snap" into her wrist, as opposed to the newer pegs which are not rounded and just slide in. I start sweating nervously every time I go to change her hands because I'm afraid I might break them, as it requires some force to pull them out. I do understand that she was re-released as a Wonderfest exclusive with different accessories/faces, but I'm not sure if that one has the newer hand pegs or not, and it might be impossible to find at this point anyway.

Also her hair is teal instead of turqouise.

Her twintails seem durable enough and are attached by Figma joints, so no problems there. Overall she's very pretty and detailed, and I'm surprised at how similar my two Figmas are to their promo pics. I've heard nothing but bad things about Figma Asuka.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 pm

This camera situation is really bugging me. If I go film, I'm gonna have to save my money for a bit indeed to get what I need. However, it is eating me alive to know that I have to wait. If I go digital, there's a part of me that feels I'm ripping myself off. I'd honestly like to buy something digital to keep me at bay while I save up for film, but I'm gonna have to find something cheap and good. Ehh, I'll figure it out eventually.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:This camera situation is really bugging me. If I go film, I'm gonna have to save my money for a bit indeed to get what I need. However, it is eating me alive to know that I have to wait. If I go digital, there's a part of me that feels I'm ripping myself off. I'd honestly like to buy something digital to keep me at bay while I save up for film, but I'm gonna have to find something cheap and good. Ehh, I'll figure it out eventually.
Hey! Welcome to my world! I've been going over this dilemma for the past year or so and still haven't fully decided on what I want to do. Two questions:

1) What's your budget? I mean, you should be able to find 35mm film cameras quite cheap, especially used. No matter whether you go film or digital, the bulk of your expense will/should be on lenses. With film, you just save on the camera and get better image quality, while with digital you save on film, developing, and scanning--more so over time.

2) How big of prints do you want to eventually make and are you going to do any cropping? If the answer is "small prints and no cropping", then you really won't benefit from the extra resolution of film. If you want to make big prints (say, 20"x13") that are really sharp then you're going to want at least a 35mm film or digital camera. If you want to go 30" or more then you probably need a medium format (645 or 67) film camera.

To make the resolution issue clear, whenever you print, you divide the pixel width by the print size width to get pixels-per-inch or PPI. Traditional wisdom says that 300PPI is super-sharp at arms' length while the quality starts deteriorating under 200PPI and gets really bad at <100PPI. So if you want a 20" print at 300PPI you multiple the two to get 6000 pixels. The digitals that have that resolution are the full-frame ones; current cheapest one is the Sony a850 at $2k list price. Conversely, if you scanned a 35mm negative at 4500SPI (scans-per-inch) that would be 6k+ pixels, and most any pro scanner will be able to do 4000+SPI. If you're willing to print with fewer PPI (it softens the image), or if you just want small prints, then pretty much any decent digital will be enough.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:05 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Hey! Welcome to my world! I've been going over this dilemma for the past year or so and still haven't fully decided on what I want to do.

Well, I've had this problem with other things, but never with cameras.
View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote: Two questions:

1) What's your budget? I mean, you should be able to find 35mm film cameras quite cheap, especially used. No matter whether you go film or digital, the bulk of your expense will/should be on lenses. With film, you just save on the camera and get better image quality, while with digital you save on film, developing, and scanning--more so over time.

A little over 1,000 dollars. Though, I am limited in how much I spend because I don't really have anything to pay online. Usually I ask someone I know to buy it, then I give them the cash they paid upfront. I really need to set up a paypal account. But besides that, I think the only reason why I keep leaning back towards digital is because the Rebel T2i also records video. While the video might not be as great looking as film, it's still something I could experiment with. I was, for film, looking at a Canon EOS-1N and also the EOS-1. I need to read up on them more though before I decide.
View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:2) How big of prints do you want to eventually make and are you going to do any cropping? If the answer is "small prints and no cropping", then you really won't benefit from the extra resolution of film. If you want to make big prints (say, 20"x13") that are really sharp then you're going to want at least a 35mm film or digital camera. If you want to go 30" or more then you probably need a medium format (645 or 67) film camera.

To make the resolution issue clear, whenever you print, you divide the pixel width by the print size width to get pixels-per-inch or PPI. Traditional wisdom says that 300PPI is super-sharp at arms' length while the quality starts deteriorating under 200PPI and gets really bad at <100PPI. So if you want a 20" print at 300PPI you multiple the two to get 6000 pixels. The digitals that have that resolution are the full-frame ones; current cheapest one is the Sony a850 at $2k list price. Conversely, if you scanned a 35mm negative at 4500SPI (scans-per-inch) that would be 6k+ pixels, and most any pro scanner will be able to do 4000+SPI. If you're willing to print with fewer PPI (it softens the image), or if you just want small prints, then pretty much any decent digital will be enough.

I don't really know when I would make prints, but if I did, I guess I would go with big prints.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 pm

1. Army of Shadows [Blu-Ray]
2. Chungking Express [Blu-Ray]
3. Sweet Smell of Success [Blu-Ray]
4. Le Samurai [Blu-Ray]
5. Memento [Blu-Ray]
6. About three pounds of chocolate
7. Catch 22
8. The King of Limbs and In Rainbows
9. About $100 worth of checks
10. An elephant sculpture
11. Ran [Blu-Ray]

Pretty good birthday haul, eh?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:1. Army of Shadows [Blu-Ray]
2. Chungking Express [Blu-Ray]
3. Sweet Smell of Success [Blu-Ray]
4. Le Samurai [Blu-Ray]
5. Memento [Blu-Ray]
6. About three pounds of chocolate
7. Catch 22
8. The King of Limbs and In Rainbows
9. About $100 worth of checks
10. An elephant sculpture
11. Ran [Blu-Ray]

Pretty good birthday haul, eh?
Very yummy hall! I'm not the biggest WKR or Melville fan around, but you can't really go wrong with Criterion on blu-ray. I've heard the Ran blu-ray is disappointing, but I'm wondering if people weren't just expecting too much. What's this elephant sculpture?

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Well, I've had this problem with other things, but never with cameras.
Cameras are hard because it's a lot of money if you seriously want to get into it. I figure that I'm not getting away from my dilemma for less than $8k... yuck.

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:A little over 1,000 dollars.
Well, see, you'd have a lot of leeway for film cameras. Like a Nikon F5, which you could probably get used for around $200-$300. It's a fantastic camera too, probably one of the best 35mm ever made this side of Leica. You could pair it with a 50mm 1.4D, or, if you wanted to save up, a 24-70mm ED. If you wanted to go 6x7, a Mamiya 7 w/80mm and 65mm or any of the Mamiya RB67s which are ridiculously cheap for such a good camera.

Now, if you want a video feature, obviously you have to go digital. Again, this is really just about how much you care about image quality and how much resolution you need. I don't want to try and talk you in to getting MORE than you need. I'm just well aware of the pros and cons in the film VS digital war. In digital, you simply pay more for more convenience, versatility, and less quality, which is no problem if you don't need the extra quality to begin with. I mean, you don't want to buy a Porsche to drive to Walmart and back, you know.

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I don't really know when I would make prints, but if I did, I guess I would go with big prints.
Well, how big is big to you? I figured that I'd love to print up to 4 feet if I found one shot I really loved. That's insanely big for most people who think 1 foot is a "big print".

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 pm

HUZZAH! Super day #2 for hauls! Presented by Holo...

[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=IMG_20110224_123732.jpg]Image[/URL]

- Pinky Street Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke, apparently the only available Sawako figure...
- A new rail for my Ruger because the rail I got with the rifle didn't fit the scope I bought...
- An external case for an internal 2.5" hard drive. I needed this because apparently my external Seagate decided to stop being read by anything... Customer service only gave me links around their database... Never buying their stuff again.
- DUNDUNDUN!! Puella Magi Madoka Magica manga volume 1!!! Woot!! It shipped air mail so it took a little while to get. (Apparently the school they go to is normal, not futuristic like the show?)

[URL=http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/IrkenEvangelion/?action=view&current=IMG_20110224_123926.jpg]Image[/URL]
DAWWWWWWWWWW
Last edited by IrkenEvangelion on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JUSTINBAILEY
Adam

Postby JUSTINBAILEY » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:11 pm

I've recently purchased
Each different legion of the damned (18 all together, they are bitchin' models)

Adidas Chile 62' tracksuit for running <3

[s]Don't hotlink images[/s] fix'd
J U S T I N - B A I L E Y
_ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Well, how big is big to you? I figured that I'd love to print up to 4 feet if I found one shot I really loved. That's insanely big for most people who think 1 foot is a "big print".

It'd kind of depend on the shot for me. I mean, yeah, a foot would be good, but there are probably some shots that wouldn't be properly represented with that size. I'll figure it all out eventually. I'm gonna think about it over the next few days. I actually went to Best Buy today to try out the Rebel T2i, but apparently the battery was dead, so I wasn't able to. Tried a couple of other cameras, but I can't remember what they were. I'll look on ebay through the next few days to find a decent deal.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Combs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 am

[URL=http://img12.imageshack.us/i/fendersquier.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Delicious new Bass.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Books arrived! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

[URL=http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img0475k.jpg/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://img200.imageshack.us/i/img0474kz.jpg/]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img0472tg.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Jameson's book is new addition to my collection of "oh sweet I could probably kill somebody with this" tomes... Thank God I finally have Symposium after long fruitless search for finnish translation (which does exist, it just seems to have disappeared from this Earth apart from libraries). Zaregoto should be pretty awesome and I really want to see how NisiOisiN's prose compares to anime adaptations of Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari - both of which I digged, esp. Katanagatari. Besides, "In a single volume, NISIOISIN references both Japanese literature like Dazai and Akutagawa as well as AT fields and period dramas." sounds like stuff I'd write if I were author :tongue:

Anyway, I've finally started to read through this enormous pile of books I have gathering dust right now. I'm soon done with invaluable Miyazaki's Starting Point... I'll probably next start Zaregoto (so I'm not going in order I've acquired them) because it intrigues me the most.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”