Recent Hauls

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:38 am

Games:
Fallout 3 (PC)

DVDs:
Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales (Criterion Collection)

Books:
Middlemarch by George Eliot
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima

Manga:
Monster, Volume 18 by Naoki Urasawa
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Fallout 3 is on my list of games to buy when I get money. Forgot to put I got a remote control tank from Gears 2 at Best Buy for $30.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:36 pm

~Regular edition of Renewal Feature Films

~some new clothes

~some money (if that counts)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm

IrkenEvangelion wrote:Fallout 3 is on my list of games to buy when I get money. Forgot to put I got a remote control tank from Gears 2 at Best Buy for $30.

It's on Amazon.com for $35 right now (PC version). That's pretty cheap for a new game, and since it's $35 you wouldn't have to pay shipping, either. The price goes back to the regular price for a new PC game every once in a while, but it seems to keep going back down to $35. I've observed this to happen about three times now.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:27 pm

DVDs

Patriotism ~Yukio Mishima

Books

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

Mishima directed, produced, wrote the screenplay for, and was the lead actor in the movie Patriotism, which is based on a short story that he wrote (I'm beginning to think this guy may have been a little egocentric!). Fun facts: It is about a soldier who can not carry out the orders of the Emperor because it would mean having to kill his friends, and so he decides that the only way to maintain his honor is to commit sepukku. His wife joins him, and before they both kill themselves there is a long, sensuous love-making scene where they passionately enjoy every inch of each other's bodies, set free to express their desires to the fullest extent by impending death. The movie has no dialogue whatsoever, with all knowledge needed to understand what is going on provided through a scroll in Japanese that appears on the screen from time to time to punctuate "chapters", with subtitles provided as a translation. At the time that Mishima made this film, he was already a celebrity in Japan, and he wanted to become just as famous internationally. Also, and here's the really strange thing, for some reason you never actually get to see all of Mishima's face.

Seriously, it's pretty weird and slightly upsetting. Throughout the entire film, Mishima's eyes are hidden by the visor on his military cap. I think you may get one very brief glimpse of his eyes, but I may have imagined this and if I didn't, that's about all you get. And during that long, sensuous love-making scene that probably takes up well over half of the movie, it seems that we never see any of Mishima's face, at least not for more than a second or two; his back is always turned to us, and the camera deliberately denies us even a glimpse of his face. This is odd, since he seemed to have no qualm about showing the woman's face in the throes of passion. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Mishima is suspected to be gay (if not, then certainly bisexual), and perhaps he was unable to convincingly portray such emotions in a scene like that. Maybe he's not really a good actor; the very few times we see his mouth during the film, his expression is almost ludicrously stoic, betraying no emotions whatsoever. Maybe. Who knows? Certainly, it was a very unusual film, to say the least.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:11 pm

a crapload of precious metals to prepare for THE COMING APOCALYPSE
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:54 am

Finally bought a copy of Chrono Trigger for the DS
Lost to the merchandising powers of Best Buy and got a copy of Harvest Moon 2 as well.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Got at last my Revoltech Fräulein Rei model 001. Already been playing with it, but when tried to make poses with a China made cheap plastic Eva-03, its hand fell off and now I've got to find it in the mess that is my room. So I got and packed Rei (after a couple hours of posing) waiting till I can reorganize the place.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Received a check for $25 from my uncle, used it to buy these:

Books:

Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time Vol. 1 (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Marcel Proust, translated by Lydia Davis

The Letters of Marcel Proust

It's been about a month since I finished Proust's masterpiece, and I still can't get him out of my mind. No other book that I have read has ever affected me so profoundly as In Search of Lost Time has. I am haunted by and obsessed with Proust, and I will not be satisfied until I know everything there is to know about the man and his work. I have well over $200 worth of Proustian biographies and literary criticism, which I intend to study in earnest once I finish The Tale of Genji. I plan on reading at least the first few volumes of the new translation of In Search of Lost Time that Penguin has put out over the next year or so, and I have even signed up for a French class at college next semester for the sole purpose of learning to read Proust's magnum opus in the original French. I recall taking French back in high school and not enjoying it very much then, but that was because I had no motivation to learn the language; now Proust is my motivation, and I hope that is enough to push me towards fluency in the language.

I even aspire to read every book and play that Proust alludes to in In Search of Lost Time, and presently have my eyes on Charles Baudelaire's Flowers of Evil and Racine's plays, both of which are referred to in Proust's masterpiece. A few volumes of Balzac are also lying on one of my bookshelves for the sole reason that Proust refers to him often.

Sometimes, I even feel that I am romantically and sexually attracted to Proust. Is this strange, to have such feelings for a man who has been dead for almost a hundred years now and was, from what I've read, a horrible and jealous lover (which makes sense, considering how almost every romantic relationship is portrayed in In Search of Lost Time) with a neurotic personality? I suppose it's unhealthy and a little insane, but then love isn't always rational, is it? Has anyone else ever been so deeply impressed by an author, or maybe a playwright or a director? Am I alone here in responding this way to a work of art? It's disturbing, but I can't help feeling this way. Proust has utterly destabilized me.

Deathmask
Lilith

Postby Deathmask » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 pm

Rei and Asuka were a 2-for-1 deal. They cost 60 dollars each. >_>
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 pm

They look pretty cute at any rate.

I'm not too big on Eva figures, but am thinking of saving up for the Rebuild versions of the Portraits series. I'm gonna try to get whatever they release from that (if they release a series of figures for all 4 movies instead of just 1.0 and 2.0).

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:29 pm

I've never really understood the appeal of figures. They remind me too much of the dozens and dozens of dolphin, tiger, snowmen, ducks and teddy bear knick-knacks (including one curious object that appears to be a dolphin being ridden by a teddy bear in a dress) that my mother keeps lined up on several shelves in the living room and keeps collecting every time she goes to another yard sale. Admittedly, they're much cooler than that, but still just as useless. I've thought about buying anime figures before, but then I think of all of the things I could be getting with the money I'd spend on figures-things that I would actually use and enjoy for a long time, like books, movies, and games-and I can't stand the thought of "wasting" all of that money on figures. I imagine that the enjoyment one derives from staring at your expensive collection of anime figures all lined up on your shelves only lasts for so long, though then again my mother still seems to enjoy those dolphin knick-knacks. Besides all that, though, I don't want to cultivate a hopelessly obsessive personality like my mother has.

Anyways, I bought some new things today:

Books:

The Proustian Quest by William C. Carter

Marcel Proust (Overlook Illustrated Lives) by Mary Ann Caws

Monsieur Proust by Celeste Albaret

Proust in Love by William C. Carter

Philosophy as Fiction: Self, Deception, and Knowledge in Proust by Joshua Landy

Proust in the Power of Photography by Brassai

The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire

Iphigenia; Phaedra; Athalia by Jean Baptiste Racine

More books on Proust, as you can see. Celeste Albaret was Proust's maid toward the end of his life, and she wrote a memoir about what it was like to work for him. Should be interesting. I've hesitated before to buy the Joshua Landy book as it is almost $60, but from what I've read it's one of the best books on Proust that have come out recently, so I decided I just had to have it. Proust declared that Charles Baudelaire was the finest poet of the 19th century, and the Flowers of Evil are referred to several times in In Search of Lost Time. Racine's plays are also frequently alluded to, and in particular the first volume, Swann's Way, has the narrator go to see an actress, Berma, perform scenes from Phaedra. I'm almost done with my Proust collection right now, but I absolutely can not stop until I have bought everything about Proust or even tangentially related to Proust that has been published in English in the past fifty years.

/contradictions

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:55 am

Proust in his first book wrote about, wrote about--

Dong!

Start again!

Also, Far Cry 2 and a Geforce 9800. At long last, I can run STALKER at a resolution high enough to see what I'm shooting at!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 am

Small but good hauls-
1. Akira Kurosawa's Tengoku to Jigoku (Lit: Heaven and Hell).
2. Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, which is the surprisingly deep work behind the movie Blade Runner.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:00 am

Gilgamesh wrote:I've never really understood the appeal of figures.

Neither have I. I'd rather have the collector's edition of the anime/manga that the figurines herald from.

@Everyone: I realize how little time I have for reading books. Perhaps I'll find more time later....
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:54 am

UrsusArctos wrote:2. Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, which is the surprisingly deep work behind the movie Blade Runner.

I read that a long time ago, and remember feeling that Ridley Scott did the novel a big disservice by not following it very closely in the film version.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Anime: Azumanga Daioh complete series collection (nice compliment to my manga omnibus :smirk: It's a thinpack release I think.)

Games: Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core for PSP

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby majlund » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Books: Groundwork of Evangelion, Eva Movie and Wewangelion.
Games: Mirror's Edge for the PS3
DVD: (in transit) The Prisoner, Bus 174.
Whiskey: Sazerac 18yo Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anime: Azumanga Daioh complete series collection (nice compliment to my manga omnibus It's a thinpack release I think.)

If it's the same as mine, yeah. The only downside is that there are basically zero extras. But it's such an enjoyable show...

You know, I consider myself to be too old to get a lot of Christmas gifts from my relatives, but apparently the fact that I'm living at home makes a lot of people forget how old I am. That, and keeping an Amazon wish list seems to make some people over-buy. Anyway, I'm not complaining.

From other folks:
DVD:
    Honey & Clover, the live-action film.
    Futurama: Bender's Game, which was strange, much stranger, than I expected. I think the writers do better with a half-hour format.
    Mad Men, season 1.
Reading:
    Walking to Emmaus, Eamon Duffy. An excellent writer, to be sure, and on my wish list, but purchased mainly to try and bring me back to the fold, I suspect.
    Garfield minus Garfield, the only Garfield for me.

And I have $25 to spend at Barnes and Noble.

Ah, yes, and the EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles. I was really excited based on the reviews that I had read... suffice to say that your field of vision is very limited.

And then, all my discs have finally come in from Deep Discount's annual sale in November: the Frasier complete collection, Doc Martin series 1, Kujibiki Unbalance complete, Simoun complete, the end of School Rumble's 2nd season, Itsudatte My Santa (among the strangest Christmas specials ever made), and... ahem... Golden Boy. It was really cheap, I swear. Factor in the unwatched Air and Doctor Who discs from this fall, and I'm dug in for the winter.

Oh, right, and a Sager 7350 notebook with Intel X25-M solid-state disk. That thing is fast, faster than my spending on DVDs the last couple of months. It's over now for a while, I think.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:33 am

drinian wrote: Itsudatte My Santa (among the strangest Christmas specials ever made)

Personally I would use the word Suck instead of strange. I bought it last year thinking it will be another good (and slightly ecchi) rom/com by Akamatsu. I thought wrong, that one is a bomb.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”