Shark Jump Alert!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Shark Jump Alert!

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 pm

OK now. I hope this won't get locked too!

This thread is dedicated to those moments when a some entity has seen its best days and things can only go downhill. I have one in particular which I am sad to see "jump".

I am talking about the once-OK-now-suck-arse G4. Now obviously IMO it jumped the shark when parent company Comcast decided to basically terminate ZD/TechTV (and eventually G4 itself frankly) when it "merged" with TechTV three years ago. I used to like G4 but I really loved TechTV! My favorite show on G4 was Cheat! and my favorite shows on TechTV were The Screen Savers and X-Play. Well, X-Play has been on a host/location merry-go-round since the merger while its quality continues to head downhill with every episode, The Screen Savers got all "MTV'd up" into Attack of the Show where everyone (EDIT) over 30 was fired and Cheat! looks like it's about to go off the air.

But something just happened on G4 in which I will never forgive them for nor watch them ever again until they dramatically change. They just had some stupid live coverage on the fcuking Harry Potter premier. Yeah, you read that write. These morons decided to parrot something the dopes at E! are supposed to do damn it! Yeah, I know the upper management of G4 used to run E! but WTF?!? Is Harry Potter really something that's being run ad naseum on its competitor, Spike TV? Is it REALLY something that the advertiser's target demographic is just screaming for?? I don't think so! Shite!! :evil:
Last edited by THE Hal E. Burton 9000 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Kevin Pereira owns you, no question.

Olivia Munn is as hot as a dwarf star. About as dense too. Yeah I'm shallow, eat me.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 pm

I really don't mind G4.

Granted, they do appeal mostly to the 14 year old, puberty stricken, skateboarding crowd nowadays, but they have their uses too. I for one am rather looking forward to the broadcasts of the E3 press conferences tomorrow and Wednesday morning. Beats the hell outta watching them on the internets.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:17 pm

Mundane wrote:Kevin Pereira owns you, no question.

'Quick, somebody shut that retard up!'

Seriously, I'd rather get punched in the balls that Watch Attack of the Show' Y'Know, be the camera man for nBSG.

Layla Keyleigh and Kristen Holt are as hot as a dwarf star. About as dense too. Yeah I'm shallow, eat me.

I fixed your post.

G4 is utter crap now. I used to watch the show for 4 hours a day, at the least (I do realized how pathetic that sounds) Now, I barely think of it 4 times a day.

There are only good reasons to bother with G4 nowadays.

A) X-Play

B)Star Trek Re-runs. Because I dare you to find TOS reruns that aren't on at 4am in the night.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:34 pm

I remember back when G-4 used to be cool, but its evolved into utter crap now. Yeah they used to have cool shows on there but not anymore. When I see todays G-4 I think of Light Yagami at the end of the deathnote manga crying in a pool of his own blood begging for his life. Yeah Light, you used to be so cool and now look at you! G-4 used to be cool too, but now its crying in a pool of its own blood, the only difference is that it probably won't die anytime soon.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Layla Keyleigh and Kristen Holt are as hot dwarf stars. About as dense too. Yeah I'm shallow, eat me.

"I fixed your post.

G4 is utter crap now. I used to watch the show for 4 hours a day, at the least (I do realized how pathetic that sounds) Now, I barely think of it 4 times a day.

There are only "two" good reasons to bother with G4 nowadays.

A) X-Play

B)Star Trek Re-runs. Because I dare you to find TOS reruns that aren't on at 4am in the night."

Thanks for calling me retarded new guy.

O, I'm in your post fixing your typos.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:35 pm

Mundane wrote:Kevin Pereira owns you, no question.
Wait, whadaya mean he "pwns" me? 'Splain!

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Mundane wrote:
Thanks for calling me retarded new guy.

O, I'm in your post fixing your typos.

A): I'm not new. Does the name 'Executor' mean anything to you?

B: I was calling Kevin Pereria a retard. Seriously, I can't stand that guy.

Anyways, I guess I shall apologize for this misunderstanding.
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:35 am

My understanding is that shortly after the G4 merger, many of the calls on Screen Savers became staged rather than from regular viewers. This was one big part of why just about all the hosts with any integrity or technical skills left.

(Although, to be fair, if Kevin Rose et al. hadn't left, we probably wouldn't have Digg).

I've heard that G4's producers basically have no respect for their target audience, and their programming gets more insulting all the time ('Geek Fantasies,' anyone)?

After the Screen Savers became a "lifestyle" show for a lifestyle I'm not really interested in, I basically stopped watching except for the occasional Star Trek rerun or X-Play. They have a couple of new animated shows in the pipeline that look like they have potential, and Ninja Warrior is sort of entertaining, but there's really nothing left. They've lost any focus or legitimate technical audience.

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:42 am

Old G4, like when it first started was the only thing I really watched on TV all the great shows... now gone :cry: . Show's like Portal, Judgement day, Icons, Filter, etc. Were all great! Then they had the merge... which really ticked me off because some great shows got pushed off (Portal is my #1).

Now it's all re runs of X-play, Star Trek, The man show, and other stupid shit. I haven't watched TV since the channel killed itself, but I heard there was a new kind of filter but it was mainly made for guys that wish they had a life. G4 tv for gamers my ass! Someone needs to make a show like old school G4 was. Tech TV back in the day was awesome as well. I just didn't have it but some friends did.

Another great thing about it was that it didn't really have commercials, mainly just game tips and tricks and game trailers. Which is also why it was a great channel.
Fuyutsuki: It's hot
Gendo: Yes...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:34 am

And now for a friendly reminder.

When I created this thread, it was not just about my bitching on G4. This thread could also be used to bitch and moan about any other channel or TV show or any entertainment "entity" that you used to love so very, very much.

Check this out to refresh your memory:
http://www.jumptheshark.com/index.jspa

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:And now for a friendly reminder.

When I created this thread, it was not just about my bitching on G4. This thread could also be used to bitch and moan about any other channel or TV show or any entertainment "entity" that you used to love so very, very much.

Check this out to refresh your memory:
http://www.jumptheshark.com/index.jspa

Hmm, Well Nick the kids channel has changed a lot since I was a kid, Now all they show is just stuff that is too kid friendly. Back in the day shows like Rocko's modern life and ren and stimpy were great shows and were pretty good to be on a kids channel. Now all we have is stuff like spongebob, Dora the explorer and other crap they throw at our kids.
Fuyutsuki: It's hot
Gendo: Yes...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:36 pm

I don't think channels or blocks of programming can "Jump the Shark." Isn't that term used exclusively for scripted television programs?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:03 pm

^ Technically, you might be right, Brik-kun. The term was coined when this happened:...
... that was a scripted show.
However, with scripted shows being increasing seen as "passe" by not only those in the entertainment industry but also the viewing public as well, the term has probably lost (at least some of) its original meaning. And you can couple the fact that there is now the term "jumping the couch" in lieu of a certain man's appearance/behavior on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”