Tell Me Your Dreams!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Barinax » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Okay, I had a 9/11 dream.

My dad went to retrieve the hard drive for the computer that doesn't work from... somewhere.

My mom and I was probably there too at some point.

Suddenly I'm in a high grey place, inside a building. And old Indian woman (I think) encourages us. There are places for the people on our floor to swing across a chasm. Like a video game or something, there is some sort of map thing in the corner that says "Tower of Isis". Also there was something like an online word game, and lots of wordplay: GOOD, GOD, DO GOOD, OD... other things.

When I woke up I thought "HALLELUJAH PRAISE TO GOD"

-

I had another dream, but it is too complicated to post here. The memorable thing is that I was in my parents' car (one of them, anyway). Behind me was an alleyway, but it looked like a long tunnel inside of a cave or something. It was dark, really dark. Later on it become a glass window with darkness behind it. There was a sign that said "Notify police if you see one head or two eyes", which probably means "Contact the police if you thing anything is happening behind the window." I drove away but behind were zombies! Granted they were pretty still, in coffins, and probably part of some carnival.

-

I have so many dreams. I wish I could record them all somehow.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Prescience

Postby Synapsid » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Speaking of dream sensations, has anybody had this happen to them? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precognitive_dreams

I've had that several times. It's usually for trivial everyday things (such as a conversation about some random topic in my dream and later on said discussion with the people AND location are exactly as they were in my dream), but it's still bizarre to say the least.

I’m glad this (sub) topic was brought up, as it is of interest to me, in part because of personal experience. Reichu Sensei correctly points out that a function of REM sleep is to deconstruct conscious memories, however this does not explain why improbable events may occur after specific dreams.

On a personal level I would note that I have experienced a few notable incidents in during my high school days. The first and most notable was a vivid semi-lucid dream I had of being mugged/threatened shortly after my bus stop. Remarkably the incident occurred a day or two after the dream in the exact fashion as before. Needless to say I was quite terrified when dream turned into reality.

To me it seems highly improbable that the brain would randomly synthesize information from a event I had never experienced in the past and involve individuals that at the time I hardly knew. Furthermore this wasn’t a case of self fulfilling prophecy, as although the vivid dream disturbed me I took no steps to encourage my mugging or interact with the said individuals and carried out my routine normally. There are no easy answers to how such can happen whether it is by a wild stroke of random chance or actual prescience.
Some parapsychologists have published academic papers on the subject the one best known to me is Dean Radin although his views are minority. Also, the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab worked to research such phenomenon until its unfortunate closure.

If you don’t mind my asking SSD-sempai, do you have any notable stories you would like to share? :yui_grin:
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:41 pm

This thread made me go out and watch Paprika, and I was amazed and satisfied. ^_^

Anyway, the other night I had a dream that I was in a cave full of fish tanks, set up like in a pet shop. There were people in the cave looking at the fish like they were at a zoo. This guy then gave me a foldable net to catch these two fish that were walking on the floor. One was white, long and skinny, and the other looked like a Plecostomus but cover in porcupine quills. I unfolded the net and caught both of them and went to put them in a tank, when suddenly I saw a big hole with a large animal skeleton in it. I ask someone what it was and they told me it was an elephant skeleton. Then I woke up.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Prescience

Postby Enki v.2 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:28 am

Synapsid wrote:To me it seems highly improbable that the brain would randomly synthesize information from a event I had never experienced in the past and involve individuals that at the time I hardly knew. Furthermore this wasn’t a case of self fulfilling prophecy, as although the vivid dream disturbed me I took no steps to encourage my mugging or interact with the said individuals and carried out my routine normally. There are no easy answers to how such can happen whether it is by a wild stroke of random chance or actual prescience.
Some parapsychologists have published academic papers on the subject the one best known to me is Dean Radin although his views are minority. Also, the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab worked to research such phenomenon until its unfortunate closure.

Being someone who has precog dreams more or less constantly, I have to say that they can sometimes come in handy, however I don't necessarily believe that the cause is something incredibly strange. Instead, I think that it's a combination of rather mundane factors that operate on such a small and ambient scale that nobody knows how to find them -- for instance, loads of tiny cues can accumulate and end later in cryptomnemics or such; this is in fact often an evolutionary advantage. Other things may involve minor cultural signals, or transmission of information between people via normal channels that said people are not consciously aware of (the way someone holds themselves, or their choice of words can often betray a subliminal imprint or priming received from someone else the same way, and so a message can be passed from one person to another through a series of people, with none of the parties knowing that there's even a message there). That said, that doesn't mean that it's not useful, regardless of the cause. Also, the subconscious is processing all sorts of things in the background that the conscious mind filters out, and some of those things might be useful. I try to feed my subconscious with arbitrary data whenever possible (at a much bigger rate than normally possible, mostly by feeding the data in in such a way that only my subconscious can process it, if my conscious mind can even perceive it), in the hope that it will enhance my ability to use these things to my advantage.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:20 pm

If you don’t mind my asking SSD-sempai, do you have any notable stories you would like to share?

The most recent one I remember is this. Sometime in the summer, June I think it was, I had a dream of being outside in some open area with some tables/chairs and this brick building surrounding the area. It was a place I haven't seen in real life though. THEN a few months later I go to check out my University and what do I see? The exact same place I just described; apparently it's part of the Student Union. Although in the dream of mine I think I might have been Shinji and whatever conversion was happening in my dream didn't happen in real life. My precognition dreams aren't in the same type of format each time I dream something of course (what's happened before is I dream about being in a particular location & discussion and then that exact thing happening several months down the road), but this freaked me out when I realized what had happened. @_@ (It usually does freak me out, but like Reicchan once said there's probably SOME explanation on what's going on.)

And no, I didn't see any pictures of the student union or my campus before I actually visited the place.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Meh, might as well make a new post since last post was this morning.

So the dream I had last night was odd (as always). I was in some type of grocery superstore chatting away with somebody there while figuring out what to buy. The store itself look like a hybrid of the inside of a farm...store ^^; (you know, how on some farms you can actually buy goods inside instead of a farmer's market deal that's all outside) and a grocery store.

At one point, I noticed Shinji strangling Fuyutsuki EoE-style(!!!) though it could have been the other way around. I was about to go intervene but they knocked it off with the fighting before I got there.

I was getting thirsty at this point so I drank a juice box inside the store and was debating getting a snack bar/if I should walk all the way up to the counter and pay for them at the same time.

Then this woman suddenly showed up and announced that somebody named Jeremy had died (???), and walked off in a bizarre mourning walk (somewhat hobbling to one side) as some weird-sounding song began to play on the PA. (I remembered the words this morning but didn't write it down so I forgot. >_<) At that point, I woke up.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Synapsid wrote:I’m glad this (sub) topic was brought up, as it is of interest to me, in part because of personal experience. Reichu Sensei correctly points out that a function of REM sleep is to deconstruct conscious memories, however this does not explain why improbable events may occur after specific dreams.

For a cheap-o response pending anything better: I'm a skeptic by nature, and find the world/universe meaningless unless there is some kind of internal logic to the whole mess. I suppose as a result of this, and of the fact that no extraordinary parapsychological experiences have ever registered on my own radar, I can't make a sudden leap towards accepting that (what are currently) supernatural phenomena exist, even though others might be completely convinced.

That said: if some kind of logical and grounded connection can be established between the sleeping mind and events that have not yet happened, then precognitive dreams will have passed the first test. I've seen one proposal that involves the nonexistence of time, although I'm not quite sure I'd find it satisfactory. (Can't check out those links at the moment.)

I'm sort of interested in having a "precognitive" dream myself (albeit not involving a negative event).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm sort of interested in having a "precognitive" dream myself (albeit not involving a negative event).

Surprisingly amusing.

I've had quite a few of them myself, though they're nothing negative, and they're all minor.

Thank god my friends didn't taunt me about his "butterfly man" and him sending a whole army of cats to capture me and put me into interrogation. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone to sleep knowing full well that my door was going to creak and having a sea of yellow eyes staring up at me.

And then there's all those dreams that have been chasing me during the holidays, about the 8th time, I think. Basically it's about a girl but I've obviously let out too much info

"Say the odds are a million to one that when a person has a dream of an airplane crash, there is an airplane crash the next day. With 6 billion people having an average of 250 dream themes each per night, there should be about 1.5 million people a day who have dreams that seem clairvoyant."

That reminds me. I have tons of dreams of 9/11 happening again (!!) but in different parts of the world. I even dreamed of an A380 crashing right into this Indian-looking mosque. Though that might've been from the game I play that had a jet crash into a mosque.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am

Sorry SSD, I know it’s wrong to ask someone a question and then dawdle around. I was just to scatter brained yesterday to put down a proper response. I don’t really know what to say ; Unless if you unknowingly saw pictures of the student union and they were floating around your subconscious mind there isn’t a simple explanation for this. Of course the more typical Fuyu/Shinji dream is a different story. At the time did the whole affair seem normal to you? Freud would certainly have something to say about our dreams.
Along my sister had a bizarre dream such similar lines (in a schizophrenic way) I’ll get to it later
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

Personally I don't necessarily agree with Freud's theories on things, although his beliefs were at least a stepping stone for how psychology is nowadays.

With my dreams being weird or not, usually I find them to be but I thought this one was even more so just because of the whole Shinji-Fuyutsuki bit. Then again that could just mean I'm spending too much time on the IRC. :sweatdrop:

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Personally I don't necessarily agree with Freud's theories on things, although his beliefs were at least a stepping stone for how psychology is nowadays.

With my dreams being weird or not, usually I find them to be but I thought this one was even more so just because of the whole Shinji-Fuyutsuki bit. Then again that could just mean I'm spending too much time on the IRC. :sweatdrop:
I agree with you , I just meant to say I would love to have an old school psycho analyst in this thread. Like most individuals Freud’s views were colored by his era’s values, hence several of the silly concepts (although they are certainly present in EVA). Despite this many of his theories such the preconscious/subconscious mind and the Ego, Sego& Id are reflected in modern biology such as the Triune brain model.
Either way my whole though processes over the last few days were subpar due to a flu, although it’s better now (playing hooky during macroeconomics seems to have done the trick).
It’s kind of interesting when our experiences collide and we get funky dreams involving Shinji in a organic food shop.

p06
Adam

Postby p06 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:27 am

I dreamed that i died. Exactly how i can't remember. I probably jumped/fell/was pushed off a tall building or something like that. While in the air, i thought to myself that at least this would be a quick, painless and certain death. At the point of contact, i felt my bones and organs tear, break and pushed into unnatural positions. An excruciating pain pulsed through me as my soul was momentarily pulled out and up for a bird's eye view of my wrecked body. Then the next moment i was back in my body, the pain fading (but not vanishing entirely) into a murky darkness.

I awaited for the nothingness which was supposed to follow, but was only greeted with more of that same murky, black half-consciousness which was neither life nor death. The groggy, tired feeling after staying up for 50 hours without a single wink of sleep. Whatever thoughts i attempted to form died away instantly.

Eventually, i gathered enough concentration to ask in my mind, "Death has promised me a return to nothingness. Why am i still here?" A low voice, one usually identified with the stereotypical evil overlord, answered at the back of my head, "As the activity of your cells slow down, so does your consciousness, and hence your perception of time. Your passing will be to others over in a mere few seconds, but to you it shall be an eternity of undeath."

And then i woke up.
-=p06 51 3w=-
:+5134+063

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:41 am

Wow.

Just wow. That's the first time a dream of any sort has sent a chill down my spine. And it wasn't even my dream.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

p06
Adam

Postby p06 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:56 am

and to think that i have previously experienced dream precognition when i was younger :(
-=p06 51 3w=-
:+5134+063

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Enki v.2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:09 am

Reichu wrote:I'm a skeptic by nature [...]
That said: if some kind of logical and grounded connection can be established between the sleeping mind and events that have not yet happened, then precognitive dreams will have passed the first test.

I came across a very interesting and refreshing view of skepticism in a Douglas Adams book, and I have to admit that it's pretty convincing. It goes like this:

If something nearly inexplicable happens, nearly all 'skeptical' explanations tend to involve absurdly complex and unlikely interactions of things we already know about; in most cases, occam's razor is better suited to assuming that there's something we DON'T already know that is simple but rarely perceived, and that that is at fault. If someone recites yesterday's stock market figures obsessively without being able to stop, yet you never see them looking at the figures, communicating with anyone who might know them, or going through the normal methods of finding them, it's more likely that you've overlooked a method (telepathy, really good math skills, clarivoyance, a mental link with the stock exchange), rather than believe that they are surrepticiously sneaking a pick at the figures while on 24 hour surveillance.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:24 pm

I once dreamt that a coked-up Ghandi was chasing me through a post-zombie apocalypse ruined city, trying to smash my head in with a crowbar.

Fucking Ghandi.

Also this fairly long but cool one a while ago, copy-pasted from my lj:
I'm living in america with this girl. We were, apparently, in some sort of relationship. There's news all over the tv, internet, radio etc of some sort of ill-defined apocalyptic event looming in the near future, but humanity has had time to prepare and has created massive underground bunker complexes to house everyone during the cataclysm and function as self-contained societies in the following years when the surface is still uninhabitable.

But me and this girl decide not to go underground; instead of spending the rest of our lives trapped beneath the earth we instead go on a journey across america to the east coast (We were living on the west coast, I guess) where we would get a plane or boat to england and go to the place she was born; some big country house in south england.

So. We take some motorcycles and camping equipment from a deserted town (Everyone apparently chose to go into the bunkers) and set out. Along the way we meet a sucession of strange characters who have also chose to stay topside.
-A bizarre group of Mad Max-esque motorcycle maniacs with impeccable manners and australian accents who gave us a box of cigars. They loved riding around the open roads too much to live in a cooped up bunker.

-Some sort of stereotypical survivalist redneck who had built a massive compound-fortress thing out of corrugated metal ranting about how "the zombies won't get him".

-Finally, a group of Greenpeace type people on the east coast who had constructed an above-ground complex with the intention of weathering out the initial apocalypse and then actively work to restore the ecosystem. Among them was someone I knew from highschool who for some reason refused to accept that I was the same person that they remembered

The eco-people lent us a sort of sea-plane thing, and we set off across the ocean. We would land every night and sleep on the wings of the floating plane.

Eventually we reached england, and walked on foot for a few days.

When we finally got to our destination, we were just emerging from some forest when we saw this massive almost-castlelike thing on the other end of a giant meadow. We both ran, laughing, until we collapsed halfway across out of exhaustion and relief.

We were both still lying there, looking into each others' eyes, when the sky suddenly turned black, and the world ended.

Go figure.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Enki v.2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:30 pm

PAGE 23 WEWT

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Interesting dream I had a while ago that I'll use to get points in my psychology class:

-no date-

Dreamt about a dream of my mom'sfrom her childhood in China that she told me in reality, in which she was in a trench with a rifle as a Japanese soldier was charging at her. However, this dream is now happening in my dream with myself as a spectator, as if I were watching a movie of my mom and the soldier.
Indeed, the scene was nearly colorless, like an old film. The only color I remember was that of my mom's shirt, which was a faded reddish-pink. She was about 12 or 13, from appearance. The Japanese soldier (日本鬼子) was completely concealed by shadows, had a helmet, and there was a bayonet attached to his rifle as he ran towards my mom.
I was seeing this scene from a 3rd-person perspective, and even though the dreams seemed to take like three hours, nothing actually happened. It was like looking at a picture, though the soldier was obviously running and the scene was switching perspectives all the time. I guess it was kinda like the opening sequence in DVDs where it gives you the options for subtitles and stuff while short clips of the movie are playing in the BG. there was a very dark feel to the whole experience, like when one is inside a movie theater and the only light there is is from the film.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty weird, watching my mom as a middle school kid getting ready to shoot this dude.

I dreamed that i died

That's happened to me before (in a dream of course). It was kinda cool cuz I got reincarnated or was waiting to be.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Enki v.2 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:05 am

Last night I had a dream that my girlfriend and I were visiting this... I am unsure whether to call it a house or a city -- it was more like a ziggurat I guess, or pre-industrial Paris, wherein the buildings in the city were so irregular and close together that they could be connected and considered a single building. Anyway, we were there at the invitation of someone who lived in the middle, at the top. Our scouter was armed with a toothpick gun that had a sight, but he accidentally shot someone with a toothpick because I was trying to navigate our little raft (in a river or water body INSIDE the city) and I made too quick and adjustment while he was trying to sight something out (and he had it loaded). He died, I think. Anyway, we ended up climbing lots of staircases between buildings, mostly by the railings. I made a play of making the weird writing there glow, and taking the numerous apple carvings/paintings and turning them into actual apples. At some point, we decided to rest for the night, between two particularly dangerous stairwells, and found a room with a bed and a strange lump in it. The lump turned out to be a pregnant woman in the nude who was apparently nearly ready to give birth. She thought we were the crew of midwives that she sent for. I woke up shortly afterwards.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Last night -- this morning, really -- suddenly becoming aware of hearing news that the sun had gone nova, and it was time to pack up and drive to a new world before the sunrise, dashing around and stowing things (and cats) into the car, as the hideous light started to brighten in the east.

Damn, my mind does strange things with the sunrise alarm on the bedside.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”