FML general thread [8]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: FML general thread [8]

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon May 09, 2016 6:32 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Just looked him up, think it's silly of people over here are trying to compare Trump to him, but whatever gets them to push their propaganda further.

I hope The Philippines votes in the best interest of its people.

Apparently not. :( The man wins (nickname "Hitler") and claims he will try to act like a dictator. Prior to that he claimed he would bypass anyone trying to block what he wants to do by law, and according to media reports the guy indulges in using death squads to execute anyone who is as much as suspected to be a criminal. Sounds like a great guy. /sarcasm.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Ah well... Been monitoring the polls since midnight. Never expected a social democrat to win the vice presidency by a narrow margin, over a son of a dictator.

I never felt this more alive than ever before, so that counts as an RML. From that point onward, she'll make sure Duterte can't do something monumentally stupid.

https://twitter.com/manila_bulletin/sta ... 6642636800

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon May 09, 2016 10:48 pm

^ Congrats! I'm glad the other guy didn't win. Hope the new leader works out well for you guys.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue May 10, 2016 4:24 am

No, he did win. That last update was about the VP, which apparently is elected separately rather than selected as a running mate (as the US also did, long ago).
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:03 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Ah well... Been monitoring the polls since midnight. Never expected a social democrat to win the vice presidency by a narrow margin, over a son of a dictator.

I never felt this more alive than ever before, so that counts as an RML. From that point onward, she'll make sure Duterte can't do something monumentally stupid.

https://twitter.com/manila_bulletin/sta ... 6642636800

I must say, I'm surprised that the polls actually work properly. In my home country the polls would inexplicably crash at a certain point in the night and by the next day the party that's ruled for several decades would be in the lead again.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue May 10, 2016 7:49 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:No, he did win. That last update was about the VP, which apparently is elected separately rather than selected as a running mate (as the US also did, long ago).

Oh... shit. Sorry, soul.assassin. I don't know how I missed the VP in your post.
[Redacted]

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Wed May 11, 2016 5:38 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Apparently not. :( The man wins (nickname "Hitler") and claims he will try to act like a dictator. Prior to that he claimed he would bypass anyone trying to block what he wants to do by law, and according to media reports the guy indulges in using death squads to execute anyone who is as much as suspected to be a criminal. Sounds like a great guy. /sarcasm.

That reminds me of this guy:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... d46f610e97

Not entering much in politics here, let's just say that watching friends of mine claiming for this guy as president makes me sad.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon May 16, 2016 2:19 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I never felt this more alive than ever before, so that counts as an RML. From that point onward, she'll make sure Duterte can't do something monumentally stupid.

Doesn't look like having her as VP will help about that:

Duterte wants to reintroduce death penalty and worse

He added that he would also seek to give security forces shoot-to-kill powers for suspects who evade arrest and those involved in organised crime.

Well, living in the Philippines and like murder? Join the security forces, then you can kill as many people as you want if this asshole gets what he wants.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon May 16, 2016 9:28 pm

If you ask me, he admitted that he did all that loud stuff for show during the campaign, mainly to make himself different from other candidates, and taking full advantage of the hatred towards the outgoing administration. But people who voted are expecting him to make true many of his outrageous promises made during the campaign, especially with law enforcement is concerned. Like Santa Claus, he'll indeed have a long list to deal with.

And a vast array of opponents, anywhere from human rights activists to old money to right-wingers.

Yes, winning the Presidential seat left him in awe that he promised to go straight by not swearing in public. *Sighs* Of late he decided to do a few more stranger things (some people would see this as refreshing) asides from cleaning out the house: choosing Maoists to chair the agriculture and labor departments, planning to sell the presidential yacht and reassigning the executive helicopter fleet to rescue duties (preferring to use his Bible-puncher friend's private jet and chopper for transport), eschewing the traditional public swearing-in in favor of a more private event in the presidential palace, and adopting several policies (no cigarettes, curfew, alcohol restrictions, noise pollution, etc.) based from his home city.

(Mods might want to move the discussion/posts over to the Serious section, given my observations about the political climate.)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed May 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Looking for summer jobs is such a drag, especially when most of the good part time positions require some kind of prior work experience.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed May 18, 2016 5:07 pm

I've been having the same problem Trajan, I got two interviews for a movie theatre over a week ago and didn't hear a single thing back.

Especially down here in Florida where you need to be 18 for a lot of jobs. Thankfully I turn 18 in 10 days, but it's like wall if you are younger. They see 17 and throw the application away without looking at anything else.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Not really a FML exactly, but since it doesn't fit anywhere else: we had two deadly accidents in the Twin Cities this morning, one of them a head on collision. Three people are dead. Stay safe, folks, and try not to be an aggressive driver -- it's not worth it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 24, 2016 3:03 pm

Similarly, yesterday on a road near Oxford that I drive regularly there was a head-on collision - five youths dead in one car, family of three in hospital from the other. Neither rushing nor showing off is worth it, kids...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed May 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Q: Gee, chee, why are you such a dick on Evageeks?

A:
SPOILER: Show

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 25, 2016 3:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not really a FML exactly, but since it doesn't fit anywhere else: we had two deadly accidents in the Twin Cities this morning, one of them a head on collision. Three people are dead. Stay safe, folks, and try not to be an aggressive driver -- it's not worth it.

You're in that area? I was there a few months ago.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 25, 2016 4:52 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You're in that area? I was there a few months ago.

Well, let me know next time you roll through! We'll get hammered and discuss the finer points of motorboats and butts.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 pm

And wedding cakes :devil:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 25, 2016 6:10 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And wedding cakes :devil:

Indeed! In fact, I sense the making of a great Chuck Tingle story here: [u]Pounded in the Butt by my Gay Wedding Cake's Butt[u]. This would of course involve motorboating a scoundrel pastry chef to make him replace dark magic with real love.

It will be glorious!

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon May 30, 2016 12:22 pm

While I got a new job, the training has been horrible. I'm supposed to learn how to operate this database for insurance payments over the phone instead of having someone come in and physically teach me and my supervisor (the only other person physically present) has no idea how to do anything in the database. And there's still stuff I haven't learned yet, so I'll likely have more stuff that I'm only half trained to do shortly.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 pm

I took on a freelancer to do some work for me. They started on the 12th with a deadline of May 23rd. It's June 1 and I still don't have it. So far they've postponed 3 times with a due date of today, and I just got an email saying, in effect, "lol I'm not done! maybe tomorrow!'
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”