In what are you studying? What's your job? Your dream?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:35 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, it's official. I'm going back to college.

Congrats!

Jay911
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jay911 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:36 pm

I spent 9 years in kindergarten/elementary school in Pickering, Ontario, Canada (just inside the blast radius, for those who've seen Robotech :D). I also spent 5 years in high school in Ajax, right next door to Pickering (grades 9 to 13 - wacky Ontario schooling). Then I moved to Alberta and had to redo some Grade 12 stuff to finish my Alberta advanced secondary school diploma, due to some stuff that Ontario didn't offer and Alberta required.

From there I spent 1 1/2 years in a "Computer Technology" program at a college in Calgary, Alberta, at the urging of my family and friends, because I was 'so good with computers'. That fell through when the options I had in my 2nd year were total crap, not taking me towards any job I liked. From there, I spent 2 years in an Emergency Medical Technician program to boost up my work skills (at the volunteer fire/rescue service I'd been working with since I left high school). All this time I'd been working various convenience store/gas station jobs.

In early 2001, I got a job with a city emergency service, answering the 911 emergency number and dispatching fire trucks. This is my dream job, considering I get to play with computers all the time, help people, and mess around with radio equipment - hobbies mixed with something I've been doing for 16+ years now. The job was combined/absorbed with the ambulance dispatching in early 2006, so now I do all three, as well as still being with my volunteer fire/rescue service.

At the dispatch center, we have to stay up all night, even if there are no calls coming in, so we have to keep ourselves occupied with something. We have a projector in our ceiling with a 100" display on the wall, upon which we can watch movies, TV, and etc., and in 2003 I managed to pull off an Anime Night, watching back to back episodes of You're Under Arrest and Azumanga Daioh for 12 hours. :) (I would have done Evangelion, but I thought it would take too much explaining.)
--j.

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:36 pm

Ornette wrote:

Congrats!

Congratulations!
Last edited by flatulant on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:47 pm

Reichu wrote:After that -- maybe I can finally stop being an adultescent.

Don't. Once you cross the line, you can never go back.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:13 pm

RE: Congrats -- "A-arigatou..." ^_^

BobBQ wrote:Don't. Once you cross the line, you can never go back.

Yes, the prospects of evolving into an Adult are somewhat horrifying to me. However, the thought of being in my thirties, still living at home with the folks, and not making something of myself that I can feel good about is far, far worse. :shudder:

(Assuming society-as-we-know-it doesn't collapse by the time I'm in my thirties.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:42 pm

Yeah! That's good to hear. I think you'll do pretty well in environmental studies, you seem to have a real passion for such things. ^^b
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:43 am

Jay911 wrote:At the dispatch center, we have to stay up all night, even if there are no calls coming in, so we have to keep ourselves occupied with something. We have a projector in our ceiling with a 100" display on the wall, upon which we can watch movies, TV, and etc., and in 2003 I managed to pull off an Anime Night, watching back to back episodes of You're Under Arrest and Azumanga Daioh for 12 hours. :) (I would have done Evangelion, but I thought it would take too much explaining.)

I want your job.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:01 am

Well, I may as well blab about my education and career stuff, since everyone else is. let's see...

Well, I went to a special preschool before I went to kindergartden. Older kids were bothersome and I wound up going through special ed up until 4th grade where I switched to mixed, and then regular education in 5th grade and middle school.

In middle school, I was pretty lazy-ish in my studies, and the gangbangers bugged me because I didn't want anything to do with gangs and such stupidity. I think I made a few brief friends, though. I did manage to squeak through middle school and wind up in high school, where I made more brief friends.

'Round the middle of freshman year, I was made the target of quite a few people's ill will and this continued throughout. Some of it had to do with not being a very social person, and the rest was because of my geekeries. Some people actually wanted to destroy me just because I liked certain things, and they pulled off a multi-person conspiracy/campaign of emotional harassment against me that eventually led to me not being able to take it anymore, and so I dropped out of high school and got myself my GED a little after. Even to this day, I will have remnants of the conspiracy who obviously don't know high school is over and it's time to grow the hell up occasionally wind up surprising me with an attack. Luckily, this is a very rare occurance.

After I got my GED, I started going through college to get a degree in visual arts, I did well in some classes, crappy in others, and I started going into a lethargic state sometimes due to my health problems others just because I was lazy, missing classes and coursework and study, that eventually got me academically suspended. After a year or so of failed job appilications and more lethargy, as well as lots of internet use, I was able to appeal my suspension.

I could only take one class for it because that's all my mom could pay for, as my financial aid was suspened, too. Unfortunately, the counselor talked me into taking my bane class, Composition and Rhetoric 1. It was during this time my mom was in between owning cars, so I had to walk to school, which is only about a 30-minute walk away. The class once again proved to be my bane, and I finished with a Withdrawn. I still partly owe the college some of my tuition, and I can't take a class til it's paid for. Next time I go back, I'm taking a damn "easy A" class. Will I continue for a visual arts degree? I don't really know.

As for work, I was working for a temp agency for a while during the suspension time, but I only got one job from it and I didn't last long on it. I might still technically be employed to the agency, but they never call me at all.

About two months ago, I applied to a job at my mom's workplace for a job as an aide in the kitchen, they gave me a TB and a drug test and made it sound like I got hired. After a little over over a month of waiting, much to me and my mom's chagrin, it turned out I wasn't actually hired and that I had just gotten jerked around. :x

For 2007, I'm going to apply for more jobs and see where it goes from there.

My dream has been to be an artist, but I'm really more of a "hobby" artist than a serious one. I would like to work in video game or electronics retail as I like that sort of stuff, but let's face it, retail is hell. Still, it would be an interetsing job. Computer science also looks like a fun career for me, but I'm really only of an intermediate computer user... but that's what getting educated is for, right? I also wouldn't be opposed in being in an office job or law enforcement, though the latter, eh, I'm not really active enough of a person for that.

Dear god, that was a lot of talk, there. But, hey, it felt good to talk about it. ^^
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:12 pm

"Naniwo ne gauno?" ^_^ Heheheee...
I hope I won't be an asshole next or rather this year like I was in the previous few dozen months... :P
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:04 pm

Job own an Internet Cafe and Video Game Club/Repair Shop.

Dream: To be a Dictator, Impale a Million inocent people, find a cure for cancer, kill all members of the FCC, Nuke Antartica(dunno Y), burn down Vatican City (dunno Y E-THAR), Take over Japan and make it Capital of the world rule the world, be an uber pimp, go to war against Heaven maybe? Err oh! oh! and Carpet bomb with nukes, france!!!!!
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 pm

I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do once I finish university. I mean, it's four years away and apparently an MPhys in Technological Physics is suited for plenty of careers, but right now I have no clue at all.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:51 pm

I am in Highschool where me and friends are starting a band. That realy is my dream.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:14 pm

The vocals better be good. Nothing worse than a guitarist, drummer, and bassist with a lot of talent, and the vocalist makes me want to lay eggs.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:37 pm

I am in my third year of high school and don't really know what i want to do. However, come march, I will be going to Japan on foreign exchange for a year. After that, I am thinking about going to colorado school of mines seeing as i am interested in sciences.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Oh, a "tell us about yourself" thread! I always like these, even if my own contributions are uninspiring.

Well, let's see. As to what I've studied:

I started off studying physics in college (at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio) for my first year, but decided I didn't like it and switched over to wildlife biology instead. It's a point of pride that despite this mid-season switch I still managed to graduate in four years. I got a minor in chemistry (I'm an oddball in that I actually enjoyed organic chemistry, even if I didn't do all that well in it) and was something like one class short of a minor in both physics and math. None of it ever counted for anything, though.

Once I graduated I spent two years looking for work, only to find that a Bachelor of Science degree wasn't worth shit in the wildlife field. So I hunted down an advisor at the University of Oklahoma and enrolled in a Master of Arts program in the History of Science. I wound up studying the history of elephant conservation in East Africa, which is actually kinda interesting. At the same time I learned a lot about the history and philosophy of science (it's how I became familiar with folks like Thomas Kuhn, Karl Popper, Bruno Latour, and the like), which was really enlightening.

After graduating with a Master of Arts degree in 1999 (after two years) I bootstrapped my way up to my advisor's advisor at the University of Minnesota, and enrolled in the Conservation Biology program there. That was a Master of Science program, and it took me four years to complete. I wound up taking a few courses there that delved into philosophy and economic theory and all sorts of other tangential issues related to the history and philosophy of science, which means I know a lot of useless crap that's occasionally useful for internet discussions and not much else.

So, what does one do with an undergraduate and two graduate degrees? Well, not much if you want to be a biologist. If you want to go out and do shit you need to get into a doctoral program, and if you wanna work for the state or something you have to get really lucky or know people. Neither applied to me. I also discovered at around this point that I really don't care for field work. I like my creature comforts, and I like seeing tangible results of my work, and you don't really get that as a field biologist. So, long story short, I floundered around for about five years while I tried to find something to do. I also racked up an impressive amount of debt and ran headlong into the child-adult syndrome Reichu and others have mentioned (it really, really sucks at times).

Well, come 2008 I finally managed to land my current job. It's kinda hard to describe, but it's basically a government job that has me removing criminal aliens from the country. I don't do anything with them if they're on the street (couldn't care less, honestly), but if they wind up in jail for whatever reason I send 'em home. It's...not at all what I imagined doing with my life. Ten years of university work ultimately proved utterly worthless, and all that time spent studying and floundering around was a waste. But at least I'm now (mostly) debt free, work to a steady schedule, get to travel a lot, and am working toward a social good. It could be a lot worse so I try not to complain overmuch.

As to my dream job: I don't really have one. That's been my problem all my life, really; I have no ambition, no goals, no real interests beyond whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. That's my inner Shinji at work, sabotaging any real potential I ever had. But such is life.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Right now I'm studying International Relations. My hope is to eventually go on to graduate school to get a Master's in Security and Intelligence Studies, or Global Political Economy. As for a job, I'll probably end up working for the Federal Government or a multinational corporation.

My true dream is to one day leave America and live somewhere else, hopefully someplace much more progressive. I really just can't stand all of the idiocy in this country any more.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 25, 2011 3:14 pm

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:My true dream is to one day leave America and live somewhere else, hopefully someplace much more progressive. I really just can't stand all of the idiocy in this country any more.

I have traveled to dozens of countries on six different continents, and I can tell you this for certain: there is idiocy everywhere. It's just a matter of how bad it is and whether or not it directly affects you.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

I want out of this place.
I just want to go somewhere else.
It´s not that Austria´s bad or anything, I just want to go someplace new.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 pm

I intend to one day be a movie director, specifically one that directs monster movies. That and maybe make my own TV series on Syfy. All I need to do is get into a film school, learn up on different camera and lens and I should be good to go. :cool:

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 pm

I intend to one day be a movie director, specifically one that directs monster movies.

I'm interested to see what your movie ideas are.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”