[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Also, red squirrels are cuter than gray - and we all know that cuteness trumps any other considerations.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:51 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:They're an invasive species that would have made Reds extinct, so the greys are going in the pie. :coffee:

They're not eating these animals, are they? It sounds like they're just disposing of them.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:09 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They're not eating these animals, are they? It sounds like they're just disposing of them.

Sweeney Todd and Les Mis aren't joking. Decent cuts of meat were hard to come by in 1800's Europe, especially in the cities. So they had to get. . . shall we say creative with what they put in the pies.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:23 pm

I was expressing disgust that these animals are being killed without respect, not incredulity at the idea of eating squirrel meat.

I've eaten it many a time and it's quite good if prepared correctly. It's fallen out of favor now but a type of squirrel stew was once on the menu at the Waldorf Astoria.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:24 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They're not eating these animals, are they? It sounds like they're just disposing of them.

Nah, yeah, they are, but a few celeb chefs have been advocating eating them as well. :lol:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:09 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Nah, yeah, they are, but a few celeb chefs have been advocating eating them as well. :lol:

They did that in Virginia when Snakeheads began killing off the native fish population, biting the toes off of fishermen, eating small pets etc.

The difference is, you can't get Bubonic plague from a invasive fish.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Those snakehead things are disgusting and they should all die.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:22 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:WTH's running WHO these days? Who's telling them what to ban?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11954640/World-Health-Organisation-report-processed-meats.html

Damn lies is what they are. WHO should be sued for Libel.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 pm

I had it when visiting my family in the south. It's actually pretty good.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:10 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Everyone's a critic!

I went to the Tate modern as part of a secondary school trip to London, we kept fooling around and managed to stumble across some old oranges that were evidently part of some kind of art exhibit, he pulled out his packed lunch, grabbed his orange and rolled it smack dab into the middle of it. :smokin:

That was a good day, though uh, one room was dedicated to these sculptures that evidently boiled down to brains sexually assaulting chickens with phallus-shaped objects, set up as a series of torture devices as sorts, that was pretty messed up. :cringe:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:10 am

For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:11 am

That's actually largely about social media in general and some aspects of modern society in the wild. A very good read, indeed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:14 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I've eaten it many a time and it's quite good if prepared correctly.

What do you do with it, substitute it for chicken? Opening day of northern zone this year I was just about having fever dreams of squirrel cacciatore because they were the only mammals I saw in the woods.

Found plenty of bear scat with brownish-grey fur in it and a bunch of rent stumps and scratched up trees, though, which explains why the bucks weren't visiting their scrapes and rubs.

Saw a bunch of turkeys too, which was a real pain in the ass because they were about four days out of season.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:41 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why Twitter is dying

The article seems like an overly wordy way of saying that the internet turns people into assholes and that the novelty value of social media is wearing off as people realize it's not a substitute for genuine human interaction.

A lot of business journals have also been running articles about how Twitter has a rather dim future ahead of it unless it turns things around.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 pm

It's like any community: if you don't have some feasible way of enforcing rules or punishing violators, the community will erode as people migrate to safer communities.

I almost wonder if we'll see a slow rise of 'mini-Twitters,' liked gated communities: isolated and exclusionary social media networks that only allow people who meet certain parameters to join.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:06 pm

It'll still be the go to place for hashtagmessiahs, and celebrities at the very least.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:27 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:It's like any community: if you don't have some feasible way of enforcing rules or punishing violators, the community will erode as people migrate to safer communities.

I almost wonder if we'll see a slow rise of 'mini-Twitters,' liked gated communities: isolated and exclusionary social media networks that only allow people who meet certain parameters to join.

Echo chambers tend not to last that long either. Even if the original members get along, they get little in the way of new members due to how ingrained social norms become. A social media platform would need to be dynamic and diverse in order to survive but give users more control over who they interact with. The problem with twitter is that it's a breeding ground of stupidity, bashing other groups and inane statements which turns a lot of people away and keeps others from even joining in the first place. There's also the fact that now that your mom is on Twitter, the "coolness" factor drops significantly. It's sort of funny how all these social media sites are so obsessed with growth when that very growth often leads to their downfall.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:32 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:It's sort of funny how all these social media sites are so obsessed with growth when that very growth often leads to their downfall.

It's what happens when you have investors that you answer to. And you've got to have investors if all you do is spend money but make nothing.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:37 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Echo chambers tend not to last that long either.

Sed contra, DemocraticUnderground and FreeRepublic both lasted a long time.

Nb. the obsession with growth associated with social media sites is basically due to their VC funding model. The limited partners in VC firms are basically lobotomites the instinctively throw money at a company that produces graphs going up and to the right at a steep and increasing angle, and use their board seats to demand a nontechnical "veteran"/journeyman CEO be installed otherwise.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”