Everything is Rockin'! [RML Thread 4]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Re: Everything is Rockin'! [RML Thread 4]

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:37 am

As a Wargaming.net customer, I cannot say I would recommend seeking a job there.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:57 pm

I just saw John Wick Chapter Two's trailer and I saw myself in a couple of frames, it was super cool. I'm probably gonna be in the movie for about 20 seconds and in the background but hey, I got paid, I had a small chat with Kyany Reeves and I meet some funny people those nights. Plus I can now say I worked in a big budget movie. :D
Last edited by Joseki on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:10 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:As a Wargaming.net customer, I cannot say I would recommend seeking a job there.

:huh: Tell me more.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Short version: they're not great about fixing bugs or balance issues, even for premium items, and their customer service is... challenged.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:03 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I'll be in a very good-problem-to-have situation

It happened. The offer hasn't been formally presented, but the HR person told me that the team would like to "move forward" with me, and given that I've completed the interview process, that implies that the offer is next. But Wargaming is really dragging its feet, and none of the next batch of companies I've reached out to have responded to me, so it's starting to look really, really likely that I'm going to wind up working for this company (that I can't name because I signed an NDA which included a clause saying I can't announce that I'm in talks with them).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:37 pm

By complete random luck, I spotted a recent tweet by the lead engineer of Unknown Worlds Entertainment looking for a contract worker to work on Subnautica, one of my favorite games. I reached out to him by email and now we're talking. I don't know if it'll go anywhere, but I'll be reeeally happy if it does. The offer I'm expecting soon from that other company I can't disclose is also for contract work anyway, so it's not like I'd be giving up a better offer (in terms of degree of compensation and job security) to pursue this one.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Today was interesting. Seems the mock trial team was hosting a national competition and were desperate for volunteers to act as witnesses, so I said why not. I didn't know it was going to take 4+ hours when I agreed... but oh well.

Actually one of the other witnesses had to leave for some reason so at the last minute I got the chance to play two different people testifying on opposite sides of the case! I was both the sleezy informant (actual mastermind) and a concerned friend of the wrongfully accused. Stressful, but kinda fun.

Oh, and my foot is almost fine again. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:08 am

Glad your foot is getting better, NemZ.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:55 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:The offer hasn't been formally presented

It happened. I had mixed feelings until I read the contract in detail. My misgivings were many. Technically, I'm not actually going to be employed by the company I'll be working for, but rather by a temp agency that they contract with. The pay is an insult to my abilities and education (and is ridiculously low compared to the same position at other companies; a college peer of mine who interned out-of-state a few years ago got paid exactly 2.5x as much), but the contract says quite clearly in bold print that I and the agency are free to terminate the employment at will, with or without cause, which I take to mean that if I find a better offer I don't have to wait until the end of the 9-month assignment period to take it.

I was worried before that I'd have to make a tough choice about whether to go with this offer or hold out for a better one at a different company, but it now appears that I can take this offer and keep looking anyway and use this as a fallback position.

:luigi_dance:
System Administrator

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:48 am

Congratulations, Monk Ed!

Though I wish they'd given you a better offer. :uhh:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:44 am

Congrats :) I suppose I should welcome you to the games industry then? Or is this not your first job in the industry? :)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:17 pm

:kaos_bow: Thanks everyone. It's a good position to be in; one way or another, barring unforeseen circumstances, my chronic joblessness is coming to an end. This will be my entry not just to the game industry but to compensated employment at all. Whether I work at this company or (preferably) get a full-time job at another with a salary appropriate to my abilities, I'll finally actually be getting paid for the work I do.

It's 68 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny today where I live, in February of all times. :kaos_victory: Time to break out the bike!
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Well it's a start, so congrats monk.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Welp, I do not actually have to fly to Los Angeles next week for work.

Kinda sucks, but then not having the stress of dealing with that is nice.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:30 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::kaos_bow: Thanks everyone. It's a good position to be in; one way or another, barring unforeseen circumstances, my chronic joblessness is coming to an end. This will be my entry not just to the game industry but to compensated employment at all. Whether I work at this company or (preferably) get a full-time job at another with a salary appropriate to my abilities, I'll finally actually be getting paid for the work I do.

It's 68 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny today where I live, in February of all times. :kaos_victory: Time to break out the bike!

Congrats man.
____
@Magi - Sounds like a long flight that you avoided.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:33 pm

After a brief dry spell, not one, but two interviews suddenly rolled in this week. One of them's at a company I'm less than enthusiastic about, but the other is at one that sounds like a really cool place to work -- an indie studio led by some really experienced guys, which sounds like a great way to get my own start in the field.

Gotta get ready. :dumbells:
System Administrator

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 am

:sweat: I had a nearly four-hour interview process today. These guys were thorough. And yet, it was probably the most relaxed interview I've ever had, in part because I was able to express myself more completely than I have at shorter interviews. (That we went out to a friendly lunch before the interview also helped a lot.)

EDIT: They got back to me the next day with a rejection notice. :| The journey continues.
System Administrator

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:15 pm

We now have a brand new, leak-free garage roof. And most importantly, we no longer have the old corrugated asbestos one that had been there for about 55 years.

The roof had developed a sag over the years, so that a puddle would form, and drip through, to the extent that a washing-up bowl placed under the central seam would fill up in a day of heavy rain. Also, when we had the extension done in '06, one of the overhanging sheets had had to be moved to make room for the new back wall, and that had come loose in high winds last winter, and lifted completely in the gales we had about a month ago (fortunately not too badly, so I could just drag it back into place and weight it down with a couple of paving slabs).

The company we engaged did running repairs gratis while measuring up for fabrication, then started on Friday when they stripped the roof and did the major part of the replacement, rain stopped play on Monday, but yesterday they replaced the guttering and put flashing down the sides, and today the neatly parcelled pile of waste was loaded up and removed (so I can park my car properly on the drive again).

Now, our next-door neighbours on the other side are going to get them to do their garage, too!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm

I went to the theatre at Stratford on Avon today. We saw a "reimagining" of a classical Chinese drama, which I thought was really well done; about half the cast had apparently Chinese names, so I think it would meet with some approval on that count, too. Snow in Midsummer.

This being a high-profile tourist location, it had a greatly enhanced police presence following yesterday's attack 100 miles away in London. It's hard to reconcile the need for people to be reassured with the need to ensure that attacks like this don't change the way we think. Terrorism is truly a powerful force, sadly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:05 am

Took a day off from work tomorrow to take a three day mini vacation to Seattle to see the sights, eat great local food and go to two Final Fantasy concerts. (A New World and Distant Worlds 30th anniversary edition) A trip that was a good 6 months in the making.

Glad to have done so to cause next week I start my two months of travel for work for more Playpass roll outs.

Perfect timing.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”