Everything is Rockin'! [RML Thread 4]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Everything is Rockin'! [RML Thread 4]

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Today I received the step-down transformer for my Sega Saturn(s) (should have ordered it WAY sooner instead of buying tons of games to look at on the shelf :uhh: ), arrived in four days from the UK. I got myself one of these:

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/japanese_voltage_converters/japan_europe_voltage_converters/EU-JA0750/

Totally overkill for a gaming system that only uses 11 Watts or so, but I have two outlets for two (or more, with a power strip) Saturns and a real circuit breaker in case something goes wrong. No shoddy cheap Chinese stuff for me. It weighs about 5 kilos and looks and feels like real quality (for 120 quid including taxes and shipping I expect nothing less of course...).

Hooked up my Saturn, switched it on, and everything works as it should as far as I can hear.

"as far as I can hear" because it turns out that when Samsung write "only 480i" for A/V connections in their LED TV manual, they mean "only 480i". Tried two different cables, two different Saturns, and two different games (Battle Arena Toushinden and Virtua Fighter 2), and never got an image. The Saturns should ouput video, as they were shown to do so in the auctions. The problem is that the Saturn's standard resolution is 240p. Now VF2 should run in 480p, but since the clock batteries in the Saturns are dead they likely are stuck at the time setting screen, in 240p. Which my TV can't display with this connection. :cringe: The stupid thing is that the TV is entirely capable of resolutions below 480i with other inputs...thanks Samsung. :um:

So now I've ordered myself a PAL/NTSC-compatible RGB SCART cable. ^_^
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:59 am

In 1989 I bought a top-of-the-line JVC VHS video recorder. It was their first domestic Nicam/VHS Hi-Fi machine, and to show how seriously it was engineered, it was the only VHS machine I've ever seen that enabled one to turn off the audio AVC and to meter and control the recorded sound levels like a "real" tape recorder. The suppression of the head-switching noise from the Hi-Fi tracks was not quite perfect (I knew how to fool it), but to give you an idea, a live track I recorded and played back on it was included on a CD once in preference to a conventional tape version of the same. I have recordings of several operas (with video) and other concerts made using it.

When I was divorced in 1992, I did not get to keep it, and since then I have been unable to play the tapes in an even vaguely listenable quality, even using so-called high-quality modern VHS machines. When I asked a few years after the divorce to borrow it, I was told it had broken and been thrown away.

A couple of weeks ago, after my latest dismal failure to play these tapes, I thought of looking on ebay for any JVC from that period. There was the exact model I had in "working order", at price that looked as if I could get it, finishing in just six hours!! Another bidder was obviously wanting it seriously, so I had to hold off and put in my real bid with only 10 secs to go, to avoid pushing the price up, and I got it for £102, which I reckoned was well worth it. And it arrived this morning, looks almost pristine, and works fine. No remote, but who cares.

As far as I can see, after a load of searching, this is the only time one of these has appeared on ebay - so it seems that luck can sometimes come one's way! Even this one had been put up as a buy-it-now for £250 before going to auction, so I did all right in that respect as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:05 pm

I did some research and found out that our ISP is offering a service plan where the bonus data allowance is over 3 times what we had been getting (50GB vs 15GB), for the same price as the plan we were on. Today we had it switched over to the new plan. Now I can actually download a full-size modern game if I need to! Sure it isn't that great of a service plan compared to what's available in other areas, but damn, the bonus data allowance alone is twice the size of our old monthly allowance! :woohoo:
[Redacted]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Last bit of my plan for the summer fell into place today. I present to you Nuclear Lunchbox's Summer Adventure.

May 5th: Finish final exams. Spend five days with some relatives in Boston.

May 10th: Fly to Israel on the birthright program. (For those of you who don't know what that is, Jews between 18-26 who haven't been to Israel before get to go to Israel for free.) Spend ten days traveling the country and visiting important spots throughout Israel.

May 22nd: Fly back to Boston. Spend 12 hours in the airport lounge before flying back to Los Angeles. Spend eight days at home eating ramen and doing... stuff, I guess.

May 30th: Fly to Japan. Spend six weeks (!) in Nagoya for an intensive study program.

May 15th: Fly back home. Chill for five days.

May 20th: Go to San Diego for Comic Con. Geek out for five days.

May 25th: Go back home. Relax until school starts. Eat more ramen, work out, maybe go to a firing range. I dunno, I'll figure it out later.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:48 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Last bit of my plan for the summer fell into place today. I present to you Nuclear Lunchbox's Summer Adventure.

That sounds amazing! I hope you have a lot of fun! I wish I could go to Israel for free. :lol:

That's awesome that you get to go to both Israel and Japan during the same vacation.
[Redacted]

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:49 pm

So I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I've been applying for jobs recently.

Got an interview today and it went well from my perception. They asked me to come tomorrow for a second interview, and I'll know by Wednesday if I got the job or not.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:59 pm

^ That's great! I hope you get the job!
[Redacted]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:49 am

Up to now, I've been working a full-time job, as well as having to look after my severely disabled wife (she has MS) -- the fact that I'm still in work at all under the circumstances has actually surprised many of the couples we have met through the local MS Society (being able to remote work has helped). In the past year, however, the combination of her being required to stay in bed much of the time (rather than getting about in her wheelchair to get things for herself), and changes at work (including an office relocation with a much worse commute) got me close to burn-out over the winter.

But finally the last bit of paperwork has gone through, and from next week I'm down-shifting. I shall still be going into the office as much as before (about half the week), but a lot less of the time I'm at home will be remote work.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:21 am

Sounds like a good move; I hope that it works out well and improves your life together.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:08 pm

So I had my second interview, and it was short, but I feel like it went well.

I should know within a week time if I got the job, and I won't hear from them if I didn't.

Edit- On a side note I realized I'm nearing 1000 posts, and am currently Kaworu-kun. ^_^
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Well I finished my World of Tanks grind session a couple days early and got the Girls und Panzer Pz. IV H before the event ended. I ended up buying a week of premium service for $7 (to get an extra 50% XP per battle) in order to make sure I could finish it within the time limit. I really don't mind paying a little for a F2P game that I've gotten so much enjoyment out of, so IMO it was money well spent. The only downside to the tank itself is that it isn't crewed by the anime's Anglerfish Team girls, or even by a female crew by that matter. Instead I've got a bunch of male krauts driving it, but at least they came 100% trained for free. It would also have been nice to see the Ooarai school flag suspended above it in the garage instead of the totally-not-NAZI German flag that's usually suspended above German tanks, but those are minor gripes and the tank is great regardless.

Now it's time for a much-needed break. On to some relaxing Driveclub and DOAX3. Watching my own tank explode gets really old after the first few days, and my arms are tired from saluting my fallen comrades. :lol:
[Redacted]

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:11 pm

^ I always seem to get sucked into deals when it comes to experience and MMOs. I haven't played any in a while tho.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:40 am

Finally managed to scrape up enough money to afford my own bow and set of arrows for Archery, so I don't have to keep fighting over the crappy club ones.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat May 14, 2016 12:09 am

Shit's been gettin' pretty real on my end. I'm just under a month away from graduating (again), so it's high time to start sending out applications. One of my big frustrations lately is that I really, really didn't look forward to my prospects because the only game jobs around me were for companies who'd never made anything I thought was good.

But then on a whim I decided to check online to see if the developer of one of my current favorite games is hiring. Not only are they hiring, they're hiring for remote work where I'll be expected to set my own hours and do my work in the comfort of my own home. I feel like I've found the holy grail: I can get paid, do something I love, and keep my ridiculous go-to-bed-at-sunrise lifestyle.

I understand it's no sure thing, but I'm happy to have found a specific opening (and company) I'm actually excited for.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat May 14, 2016 1:10 am

Good luck, Monk!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 14, 2016 3:00 am

Great news, but time for some old hand cynicism, too.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I'll be expected to set my own hours
You're going to have to overlap with your colleagues at some points, even if only at a daily scrum or similar status meeting, at those points when something is blocking you, or someone else is waiting on something from you, and it needs to be resolved quickly. And it will also mean "Choose which 80 hours in the week you are working" at times.

I'm just under a month away from graduating (again)
That's great'n'all, but look how many years the retarded university system has eaten of your life already! By your age I'd graduated twice (three times if you count the automatic BA to MA upgrade), and been at work five years, in my second job with my second mortgage. And that's not a "my generation" thing, but a US vs UK one -- when we recruit new graduates, that still means 22-23 year-olds with freshly minted CompSci BSc.s in the main, with a smattering of 1-3 year advanced degrees on top.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat May 14, 2016 9:02 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:But then on a whim I decided to check online to see if the developer of one of my current favorite games is hiring. Not only are they hiring, they're hiring for remote work where I'll be expected to set my own hours and do my work in the comfort of my own home. I feel like I've found the holy grail: I can get paid, do something I love, and keep my ridiculous go-to-bed-at-sunrise lifestyle.

Nice, I hope you get the job!
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 15, 2016 6:28 pm

I just ordered a Rogue squat stand, bench, two bars, and 300 lbs of plates.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun May 15, 2016 6:40 pm

^Getting those legs nice and buff.

What caused you to buy it, if you don't mind?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Ever since I moved I was mulling over going with garage gym or going to the Y. I made my choice.

Since my illness last year I've been gradually building myself back up so I can lift again. The hour is now ripe.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”