FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:29 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:So apparently the person who brings around the latest catalogue for a certain toyshop can't read and put the thing in all letterboxes that have this big sticker that says "NO ADVERTISEMENTS".

On the other hand, that means I had a look at recent toys. Gah. No wonder so many kids have ADHD, with such bright colors, busy designs, and noisy electronics in so many toys (bonus points to the Furbies that look like they might cause epilleptic fits in people...Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, who thought those color schemes were sensible? :cringe: ).

On the other hand, it was funny to see that some toys that were sold back when I was a kid (1980s) are still sold (those all had sensible colors and no electronics, then and now). ^_^

It's too easy to put on the rose-tinted glasses and then see that the 80s actually had one playing with figurines or punching out words on Speak-n-Spell, and looking at today's toys... They look more like a Mainlander cash-grab than something worthy to keep for generations (hence we're seeing collectors hunting down those old Star Wars figurines and dioramas.)

--------
I'm looking for a mover right now, place them on reserve if possible, because anytime soon me and my sis could be forced to leave this stupid fuck of a house and its nutcase arrogant in-laws and I have to pack my stuff and I nearly have a quarter of a ton of it that I can't simply throw away; have to box much of my computer stuff that are too good, hate seeing them tossed into a garbage truck.

Also, I'm fucking drained, hate feeling like a robot while cleaning up someone's mess.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:35 pm

:|

My face when finding out my position at work is listed as open online. One of our Assistant managers saw last night and alerted me and my boss today. According to our GM and District tech who was visiting today, my job is secure and that it's just them putting out feelers to try to recruit a tech that would be willing to move to our district tech's store a few hours away.

Now I certainly trust what they have to say ans it's not like I've given them a reason to fire me. I'm one of the best A-Tech's in the district, but it's still something that made me kinda pause today and I'm still a little worried.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:50 am

At first i felt like posting this in the lonely hearts thread but this isn't a relationship issue so i decided against it but essentially...........i am really fucking lonely lately.

One of the only friends i have hasn't been answering me on skype for a few days, its been a few weeks since we actually played something together and playing games online with randoms just isn't nearly as fun.
All other "friends" i know have decided to not contact me for weeks to months and nobody i talk to irl outside of the gay bar is interesting enough for an actual conversation between me and them to really get off the ground since its all hyper girly girls who only talk about shopping and makeup and some shit or overly dudebro guys who only play fps games and talk about sports.

Essentially this post is just me whining i have nobody to play with but im near the point where i can say i have no friends and that be 100% fact.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:57 am

Well it looks like I'm going to need an alternative to Imgur after the recent hacking- Malwarebytes is actually warning me that it's a malicious website and stopping me from accessing it.

I don't suppose anyone knows any good alternative image hosting websites do they?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:08 am

Imgur wasn't hacked; it was given a malicious HTML file to distribute which it didn't detect, and it has now been programmed to detect and prevent that.

[url]http://www.dailydot.com/technology/imgur-4chan-8chan-exploit/[/url]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 am

Remember when 4Chan was overrun by image files packed with malicious code? Fun times.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:32 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Imgur wasn't hacked; it was given a malicious HTML file to distribute which it didn't detect, and it has now been programmed to detect and prevent that.

[url]http://www.dailydot.com/technology/imgur-4chan-8chan-exploit/[/url]

*sigh* Just as I was about to go to the site and upload. Good call.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/09/serious-imgur-bug-exploited-to-execute-worm-like-attack-on-8chan-users/

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Not really FML but man, does PayPal fucking suck so much ass. Assholes, the lot of them! Having some issues with a order and they've completely left me in the dark.

:sniffle:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:20 am

I have family and friends who've both been screwed over by PayPal. Would never use it myself unless I really had to.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:46 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:I have family and friends who've both been screwed over by PayPal. Would never use it myself unless I really had to.

That's the predicament I'm in. I'm only using it because they have the Bill Me Later option, which I kind need for my order.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:48 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:I have family and friends who've both been screwed over by PayPal. Would never use it myself unless I really had to.

I use PayPal constantly and I've never had a problem. It's the primary way my clients pay me since it allows me to take credit cards and not wait for checks in the mail.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:45 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I use PayPal constantly and I've never had a problem. It's the primary way my clients pay me since it allows me to take credit cards and not wait for checks in the mail.

Same. I use PayPal to pay rent to my roommate, and since most of my online shopping is done with PayPal I even set up credit with them.

BobBQ: without getting into personal details, what was the nature in which PayPal has screwed over your friends and family?
Last edited by Sachi on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Last month my steam account got locked, which took a month for steam to sort out. I had no idea why it was locked and it seemed suspicious, but I shrugged it off, changed my password and moved on.
Today I logged into my email and noticed all my emails were deleted. It was weird and I assumed that maybe my email service deleted my emails for some strange reason. I then decided to log into steam. My password came out incorrect. So after having my account back for a little over a week, it has been hacked. I want to break things.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:40 pm

sounds like you have a keylogger. hope you don't do online banking from that machine...
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:48 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Last month my steam account got locked, which took a month for steam to sort out. I had no idea why it was locked and it seemed suspicious, but I shrugged it off, changed my password and moved on.
Today I logged into my email and noticed all my emails were deleted. It was weird and I assumed that maybe my email service deleted my emails for some strange reason. I then decided to log into steam. My password came out incorrect. So after having my account back for a little over a week, it has been hacked. I want to break things.

You need to grab a bunch of utilities from bleepingcomputer; if they can break into your account, it's a matter of time they'll try to use your identity to acquire credit cards illegally.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Unless Malwarebytes and ESET have failed me, I shouldn't have a keylogger
I checked the login log on my email and there are a bunch of logins from a few different IPs from Russia. When I traced them, they went back to some Russian liability company.

I don't really do any financial work pm my pc, I always delete credit card info from amazon and I hadn't bought a game on steam (that's cost money) in years (credit cards I've used in the past are long dead.).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:56 pm

You weren't affected by this, were you? https://blog.malwarebytes.org/hacking-2/2015/09/imgur-abused-in-ddos-attack-against-4chan/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Nope, I don't use Imgur and haven't been on 4chan in a long time.

I scanned my pc 3 times with malwarebytes and once with ESET, and I didn't find anything significant. Starting to think whoever did it just got lucky.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:05 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:BobBQ: without getting into personal details, what was the nature in which PayPal has screwed over your friends and family?

Most recently, a friend who runs an indie publishing/doujin import business abruptly had her account suspended - zero warning, zero reimbursement - because PayPal suddenly took offense at her offering (legal) R18 material. Luckily she didn't leave much money lying around in the account, so she was able to shrug it off and write her own payment system for the business. A while before that, my father had a bunch of trouble dealing with a scammer on an item he was selling. My recollection is a little hazy, but I think his account got suspended based on a false complaint or some such.

Besides these incidents, I should add that in general I frankly don't care for the way PayPal plays moral police with its customers.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:35 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:sounds like you have a keylogger. hope you don't do online banking from that machine...

Could be just a bad password (or one reused over multiple sites, and one of those sites got hacked (Ashley Madison? :lol: )).

@ backseatjesus: some types of malware (especially bootsector stuff) can't be found or removed when you scan the machine while logged into Windows. Use a bootable CD-ROM with a Linux distro tailored for scanning for virusses and malware.
Just hoping you don't have a BIOS virus, because depending on the machine that might mean you need to get it serviced at a dealer or even replace it.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”