FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:32 pm

TehDonutKing: Holy shit. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Zap's family dog's health isn't looking good. Cujo's 14 years old and has been coughing the past 2 days (a bad sign since dogs never cough). He also had a heart murmur in addition to his old age problems (arthritis, a bad back/hip). We're trying natural remedies and just letting him rest since he usually sleeps during the day, anyway. Just have to see where things go but it's pretty worrisome. The cat and the bird still have plenty of pep/a long life, though it seems like the cat could sense something's wrong with her "brother".
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:42 pm

To DonutKing and SSD: I'm so sorry about your loss dude and I hope that Cujo comes out okay.

I hope this gesture helps you in some way. Hugs both tightly.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 pm

:( My sympathies.

A story about my dog, should anyone choose to read it  SPOILER: Show

My dog died when she was just over 13. A few days before it happened she just stopped eating. When I heard that she wasn't eating I knew what was coming. On what turned out to be her final night, I lay with her on the floor at one point and told her over and over that I loved her, etc. Just in case I wouldn't get the chance again. The next day, she died while I was out taking a walk. My mother called me and I rushed home. When I saw that she was dead, as I started crying, I said, "I'm so happy" -- because she'd made it to the end of her journey, after a long happy life, without anything particularly bad ever happening to her.

Before it happened, it seemed like it would be the worst thing that could ever happen. In the days leading up to it I had dream after dream about the situation. In the years leading up to it, anything that reminded me of its inevitability made me cry like nothing else -- like a certain episode of Kanon. ("Au! Au!")

After it happened, I was a wreck for ... I don't know, could have been months. It felt like months. The first few days were full of wild swings of emotions, including at least one bizarre resurrection fantasy -- I thought to myself that it was feasible that I could recreate her some day technologically and fill in her personality from my memories and it would be just as good as the real thing. (The very next day I woke up and thought to myself "What was I thinking?")

Eventually I normalized by just ... letting it play out. When I needed to cry I did so with abandon. I let everything happen and comforted myself with video games and eventually it all just worked itself out with no special effort.

I don't mean to tell this story to suddenly make this about me. Rather, I remember around the time -- and I really don't remember if it was before or after, but actually I think it was before -- both my dad and my psychologist told me the stories of how their dogs died, and I thought it helped. So, this is the only thing I know to do in a situation like this.

Gotta... Gotta clean my glasses...
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 pm

I was a wreck when my brother's 14-year old kitty died 2 years ago. And I was pretty sad when 2 of my my step-sibling's cats died at 17. (Not as sad like with my brother's cat dying since I didn't live with the step-sibling's kitties, but it still hurt, a lot.)

I never personally dealt with a dog dying before other than when a high school friend lost theirs, so it's definitely already hard for me to deal with it. I had a cocker spaniel puppy a few months before 4th grade, but my dad had to sell him (various reasons, IIRC) to some friends of his.

Your story helps--I definitely had some wild idea resurrection thoughts regarding my brother's kitty Alex.

Sunday EDIT: Too upset to bump, but update in Pictures Thread: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/779899/Pictures-Thread-222-You-Can-Not-Advance/#779899
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Since we are on the topic of pet death, all four of my animals (two cats, and two dogs) have passed over the last five or so years. They all lived long, very loved lives and died happy and spoiled.

SPOILER: Show
We have an amusing family story to tell about how we knew our older beagle (Edward) died. I was out of town visiting my father. Apparently, Ed died halfway in and out of the dog door leading to the garage (which then had a door leading outside), on his way to go out to use the loo (we had a fenced off area for the dogs to run in and do their business). We like to say that, even on his last legs, he insisted that he go outside to do his business - like a good dog should. Regardless, I was completely wrecked for the next few weeks.

On a separate occasion, he was so deeply asleep that my mother thought he was dead. She prodded him, nothing. She lifted his paws, nothing. Pet him a bit, nothing. Until she poured a bowl of food for him and put it under his nose. He then woke up and gleefully ate his bowl of kibble.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:23 pm

SSD - I'm so sorry :( Poor cujo.

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:A girl i've been in love with since i was 12 lost her two younger brothers in a housefire.

My condolences. :(
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am

Have to stop reading the news about the mass murder. I've been seeing enough bigotry coming from out of the mouths of almost every disgusting loud-mouthed local right-wing assholes that they seem to be asking for total war and at the same time the resignation of the entire administration.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:22 am

This is a bit of an odd one.

I found out that a very good friend of mine is four months pregnant, and that she only recently discovered this (how she could have missed the obvious symptoms, I don't know). I mean, she's already light years ahead of her sisters in that she actually graduated high school before getting knocked up, but that's a pretty low bar. I mean, she's 20, for fuck's sake.

In one respect, children are great. On the other hand, she's basically thrown out the next fifteen years of her life and have tied herself to a man she didn't actually plan to stay with and who she has said "no" to for a proposal. I feel bad for her boyfriend. He's an absolute dope, but he's going to be sent through the court ringer for child support. At least he had the jewels to step up to the plate and ask her to marry him.

I really don't know what to feel, I am supremely disappointed in her. I had high hopes for her. My parents gave her a job, and she'd really been turning her life around. Her parents are basically useless, in terms of teaching her life lessons. I mean, they couldn't explain to her how credit cards worked. However, she didn't discover this in time to actually do something about it (abortion, which she probably wouldn't have gotten). I don't think she'll put the kid up for adoption, either. I don't think even she knows what she's going to do with the kid. Poor little bastard, it's not his/her fault.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:17 am

How come she can't get abortion? And why doesn't she want to put up that kid for adoption if she doesn't want it? If she's tied up fifteen years of her life with a husband and a child she doesn't want, that child's life is going to be absolute misery and like you said, it's not even his/her fault. I just don't understand it...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:33 am

Because to some people (who i liked to call brainwashed/idiots) getting an abortion is worse than spending years upon years of your life in misery
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:00 am

I think we're heading towards yet another nasty tangent again...
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:01 am

No im not starting anything, i said my piece and its being left at that, anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to say so but im not going to respond.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:41 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:How come she can't get abortion? And why doesn't she want to put up that kid for adoption if she doesn't want it? If she's tied up fifteen years of her life with a husband and a child she doesn't want, that child's life is going to be absolute misery and like you said, it's not even his/her fault. I just don't understand it...
The abortion part is easy. In Florida, you cannot get an abortion after the first trimester. She is also staunchly religious.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:49 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:No im not starting anything, i said my piece and its being left at that, anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to say so but im not going to respond.

Well, next time can you "say your piece" with a bit of respect/civility? I get that this is a simple issue for you, but tone like that really doesn't help the forums.

On-topic: When they were around my age, the Gainax guys made DAICON IV. This deppresses me greatly. Also, i got tricked by a woman though it doesn't seem she particularly intended to.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Dream: Chill, dude. No need to call Rose out on her ill-conceived remark - that's what we're here for. Don't know what happened with that woman, but there are tricksters and good-for-nothings everywhere. I'm sorry about it. About Gainax making DAICON IV at your age, well, there are a whole lot of people who've done a lot of things when they're young and there's no point in worrying about not being one of them. We are what we are, for better or worse, and it's better that we make a world where we're content to be normal people rather than exceptional "achievers".

Rosenakahara: Dream pretty much said it. I know how much this issue angers you and I completely understand why, but please take that incivility and anger elsewhere. The FML thread is meant for people to have a little relief after a miserable experience, and comments like yours do not help.

View Original PostCatamari wrote:The abortion part is easy. In Florida, you cannot get an abortion after the first trimester. She is also staunchly religious.

That explains it. I wish there were an easy way out of that kind of situation. :(

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm not apologizing for what i said, because i meant it.
However i do apologize for the way i said it, i see these types of things happen a lot, i especially saw them back when i was in high school and my anger at it got the better of me.

That probably counts as my third strike so i suspect a ban incoming, its a good thing i have new games to play and pass the time :P

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I'm not apologizing for what i said, because i meant it.
However i do apologize for the way i said it, i see these types of things happen a lot, i especially saw them back when i was in high school and my anger at it got the better of me.

Understood. Matter closed.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Depression's been kicking my ass on-and-off lately. I'll have these weird little micro-episodes that will last maybe one to three days, where depression shows up all in my face, screams "CHARLIE MURPHAAAAAYYYY" and then proceeds to deck me with an iron gauntlet, leaving me barely-functional at best, and I pretty much have to cobble my ability to barely have my shit together back into something resembling a workable state every time. Medication doesn't really help a whole lot. For a while now, I feel I've been slipping into flat-out existential territory now - for lack of a better world, life generally comes across as hollow and banal, and any attempt to "make your own meaning" or some other bullshit folk-wisdom platitude that certain people love to dispense unsolicited ends up getting obliterated completely because, for lack of a better way of putting it, the world, universe, whatever you want to call it, at times almost seems actively resistant towards meaning. "You want to impose a narrative on me? Well fuck you too, asshole." Just to note, this part isn't just depression talking - this is something that occurs to me even when I'm relatively happy and stable. It's sounds nice to talk like we're all Sisyphus, but chance and causality hate an ethos.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:38 pm

After having four recruiting events since last Thursday, general beginning of the semester craziness, two mock interviews yesterday and trying (and failing) to find a local business with an organizational issue for a project in my management class, I'm feeling burned out and in need of some rest and a decent night's sleep where I can actually go to be before 1:00. Thankfully, things will probably settle down a little bit and I can start to get caught up on all the reading I've been skipping.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:49 pm

My dog Napoleon has been on a rocky week since he accidentally ingested rat poison that was placed because rats kept finding their way inside the house. Today, he started vomiting light brownish goo and blood in the morning. We took him to the vet who took some blood samples as well as injected some much needed vitamins he was lacking due to the unsettling in his stomach. I wouldn't say he's completely all right now but he's getting better which is the important thing.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”