FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Two years behind the register is a long time.

I prefer cashiers go about their business without engaging me if at all possible. I am not interested in discussing my day and forced pleasantries are doubly creepy. Also it's best that they don't make eye contact lest they be turned into a pillar of salt.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:53 pm

My heart goes out to you.

You'd do well to binge on some ice-cream. Just reading that makes me want to.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:14 pm

During my one year stint as a cashier, which felt like the longest year of my life, I found out that this 50-something chainsmoking woman had been employed at this SAME drug store for the past 17 years. I would not be able to do a quarter of that without killing myself while jacking off and pulling the trigger upon orgasm, so I can go out with a bang.

Truthfully, most of the people you have to deal with aren't bad, but the few rotten apples make you want to nuke the world...even if it takes out Disneyland.

My most sincere condolences and sympathies. I hope you find a different job soon and wish you luck in that endeavor.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Baz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:29 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I seem to be one of the quickest cashiers the store currently has (500+ items an hour, when the norm is in the low 300s or something).

The only metric that counts.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:02 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:By the way: two years into your cashier stint? You sure that's not two months?

Fixed. :p

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Truthfully, most of the people you have to deal with aren't bad, but the few rotten apples make you want to nuke the world...even if it takes out Disneyland.

No, they really aren't all bad, and a terrible day can make a rotten customer of a normally nice person, as well. Some folks do just seem intrinsically obstinate and demanding, though. Cashiers must make nice targets for the jerks of the world, seeing as we have no means of retaliation if we want to keep our jobs. "Just keep on smiling."

I hope you find a different job soon and wish you luck in that endeavor.

From what I understand, it would be prudent to stay at this job for a certain length of time before attempting to switch to another. I'll definitely seek out a variety of opinions and speak to my job coach before I do anything drastic.

Sorrow: Incidentally, binging on junk food has been one of my coping mechanisms, though it's one that I need to get under control. It feels good going in, but it doesn't feel good coming out, and of course it only makes me fatter. This in turn makes me feel worse about myself and contributes to my premature aches and pains, which makes me feel more stressed out, which makes me want to eat more crap... Same old song.

My relationship with sweets echoes the relationship between an alcoholic and her drink. I hate the thought of giving them up, since a life without chocolatey things sounds so barren and tedious, but surely that is just my addiction speaking. If I can only thwart my cravings for long enough, I'd be able to discover a new norm -- one less shameful and possibly a couple of pants sizes down as well...

Thanks for the kind words, all.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:51 am

My wife and her sister are entering a real-life family feud. Christmas arrangements are being changed as I write. The subject of the feud is my sister-in-law's view that I am an idiot, and that I am taking financial advantage of my wife, because I am not rich and mercenary and don't even own my own house. She expressed this view in front of me, among a number of visitors at our house, causing all of them (aside from me!) great embarrassment.

:angry:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:58 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: :angry:

is right. The only way this makes sense to me is if she has some really old-fashioned views about gender roles.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:58 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The subject of the feud is my sister-in-law's view that I am an idiot, and that I am taking financial advantage of my wife, because I am not rich and mercenary and don't even own my own house.

:huh: It sounds like you're living in a poorly-written reality TV show, PW. That sounds like a nasty thing to deal with-- and I hope it can be resolved in such a way that doesn't dampen the holiday spirit any more than it has.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 am

My own family has pointless drama similar to that, between my father and his siblings, but it's all kept distant from the rest of us. (Thank God.) Badly written TV drama happens in real life all too often, it often seems.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:18 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My wife and her sister are entering a real-life family feud. Christmas arrangements are being changed as I write. The subject of the feud is my sister-in-law's view that I am an idiot, and that I am taking financial advantage of my wife, because I am not rich and mercenary and don't even own my own house. She expressed this view in front of me, among a number of visitors at our house, causing all of them (aside from me!) great embarrassment.

:angry:

I think you're at a point in life where you can just laugh at this, I know I'd like to be, when I'm your age.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:33 am

^ I can shrug it off - but my wife is very hurt, so it's something I have to work through with her.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:The only way this makes sense to me is if she has some really old-fashioned views about gender roles.

Their father was a Jewish refugee from Austria; he was also apparently the first "enemy alien" to be allowed to join the British forces. He became a successful business man after the war, and was a lovely and generous man when I knew him.

But you know this thing that seems common among second-generation immigrants, that they exaggerate what they see as important in their parents achievements and culture? I guess there may be something of that kind.

But yes, I earn less than she does from her own legal practice, in spite of which she still boasted in the same conversation of how her husband gives her even more money without noticing (he earns well into seven figures). She has a big chip on her shoulder, and thinks I patronise her because she has not got a university degree. Yes, some people do complain my manner can be patronising - but she's known me for over twenty years, and should realise by now that's not the way I am.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:41 am

^Ah Greed and Jealousy, we have killed each other over you for years upon years, ruining friendships, starting wars.
To put this bluntly: Your sister in law is being the worst kind of person right now and none of it has anything to do with you, this is all on her.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 pm

I may...or may not...have broken three of the toes on my right foot. Kind of hard to tell right now.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:19 pm

What was the cause of the potentially broken toes?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:22 pm

An exposed dowel bar that somehow hooked around the steel plate in my boot.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm having trouble imagining what exactly has gone wrong here. The dowel bar has hooked around the steel plate and, crushed it into your toes? Bent them back, after falling?

Tell the truth. You kicked it, didn't you?

I've heard some horror stories involving steel toe-caps.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:37 pm

No, I was skirting a wall, stepped down weird, and felt the collision with the bar. As near as I can figure it, I somehow got the bar behind the plate (top of the boot) when I stumbled.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:45 pm

That doesnt sound fun. You've definitely reported injuries on here more than anyone else; even in your picture you look to have cuts across two of your fingers. I wouldn't even bother getting out of bed in the mornings if I were you.

Still, some broken toes might give you time to work on your fan-fictions in peace.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Oh, don't tempt me! Finding fanfic time is tough!

What you see in the pictures actually bbq sauce: I'm eating a beef patty mre, which tastes about as awful as it sounds.

And injuries are just part of the gig: I work in construction, I'm in the military, and I do martial arts for fun. frankly i amamazed i don't have more injuries
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:09 am

So anyone who already saw the lonely hearts thread knows my gf dumped me via text, today is getting worse though as im finding it hard to get motivated to do anything now and that's not good when im in college, i need to do my assignment but my brain cant think of anything, and now my teacher is on my ass and is thinking im just a lazy fuck. (which i am but normally i can at least do my work)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”