FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 am

Same thing. It's probably ADHD. My wife has said that's a symptom, xander just confirmed it....

Might be a good time to try and get diagnosed.

On the plus side...if I can't get to sleep, I just need to pop a Red Bull!

:asuka_thumbsup:
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm

My life has been a complete mess lately, a mix of a lot of good things and a lot of really bad things, so here's an update!

I've mentioned before in the Lonely Hearts thread that I had gotten myself in a bit of a complicated situation with my best friend, which lead me to moving out. Her and I had basically grown affectionate of each other, yet she's already in a relationship. In an attempt to maintain our friendship, we've decided it would be best if we kept a certain amount of distance between ourselves, which is a really difficult thing to do. Without her I really feel like I have no friends.

My living situation is another mess. I am determined to finish this semester of school at the very least; I just need these last two classes to qualify for a certificate. I had been staying at a friend's house with my dog for a while, but that couldn't last. I almost gave up and had my dad pick me up, but then my manager found out about my situation and offered to give me a place to stay. I was reluctant at first but ended up taking it. He wasn't kidding when he said he had two rooms and a bathroom he never used, and he has dogs of his own that get along great with mine. It looks like this will be a stable enough place until I can finish school. Just two more months, about.

After this semester is over, I have plans to move south to the Los Angeles area to get a house with my mom and pursue career opportunities that have arisen there. Once I move it should be easier for my friend and I to cool down these feelings for each other and stay friends. Still, these next couple months are going to be really stressful and I can't wait to see this through.
Last edited by Sachi on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby mechashiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, my Dad is turning in a alcoholic (in addition to all the other drugs he takes :uhh: ) but it feels like he's too far gone to know the impact it has on the rest of my family. My Mom is the only one in the house with a job (I'm going to school, fyi) and he's on disability so he spends his time running errands for people in addition to drinking like a fish all week. What's sad about it is that he thinks being at literally everybody's beck and call makes him some kind of neighborhood saint but it makes it incredibly hard to deal with him when my Mom's home on the weekends because it stresses her out when he's drunk or high ALL the time. The most irritating thing is he doesn't think he's doing anything wrong: My mom will tell him to stop drinking, he'll let it wash over him and curl up pathetically and go out and do it all over again; spend money that's not his or borrow it, do his shady drug deals, disappear for some indeterminate amount of time, do minor errands for other people and put off the important things he has to do at home and stress my Mom out. I get to watch this happen every week without fail and its incredibly frustrating how futile it is. He thinks he can 'handle' it but I know he isn't. :facepalm:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 pm

That is a guy in serious need of help: what is he on disability for?
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Glad to hear you've got some sort of plan, Sachi. Pretty rough situation though, all the same.

Mechashiva: Have you suggested counseling?

Would also probably do him a world of good to find some sort of hobby or pastime to keep him occupied now that he has so much free time... maybe take up some sort of craft, something constructive and with room for artistic intent? Woodworking, painting, writting, cooking, something like that. Anything to give him a use for his time that he can feel accomplished about.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby mechashiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:That is a guy in serious need of help: what is he on disability for?

Migraines. He used to paint houses but he'd often be out in the hot sun painting so it didn't exactly help his condition. He doesn't get them as often so either the prescriptions he's taking help or they happen more rarely, though he's never sure when they'll happen (he'll frequently cancel family trips on the offchance something will trigger it) hence his need to self-medicate :uhh:

Mechashiva: Have you suggested counseling?

Would also probably do him a world of good to find some sort of hobby or pastime to keep him occupied now that he has so much free time... maybe take up some sort of craft, something constructive and with room for artistic intent? Woodworking, painting, writting, cooking, something like that. Anything to give him a use for his time that he can feel accomplished about.

I can ask my Mom about the counseling (she works at the hospital and counseling is covered with her health plan) but I'm also guaranteed he'll express disbelief at thinking this is a problem big enough to see a counselor about.

Most of the things you listed he used to do, though its hard to know where the healthy pastimes end and the senseless 'projects' begin. A few weeks ago he was high and spend a whole afternoon moving bricks around to make steps going from back door to the backyard, which he didn't need to do but thought needed to be done. He was writing a 'novel' but I don't know how far along he's into it. As for art, I think he feels like he can't do anything because our house is too small, (never stopped me but whatever) which is a shame. I never thought I'd miss the days he'd draw zombies in my old school notebooks :rolleyes:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 pm

It sounds like he definately does need counseling. maybe time for an intervention?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:35 pm

So after running another command prompt on my computer concerning my battery health, the report I got showed that of my design capacity of 57200, my last full charge was 31823. From what I've been able to gather, I should probably replace my battery soon and that will probably help my early shutdown issues.

The corrupted files I got from my earlier sfc/scannow action were "PINTLGB.IMD" which are a common issue for Asus computers. I'll take care of them in a little while, but they don't appear to be the problem with my battery.

As for my life is so hampered, I'm not sure. I've had this computer for two and a half years and I've never really shut it down very much, I usually just put it into hibernation at the end of the night. That might have something to do with it.

Everything else is still working fine, but since I can't trust my computer to stay on when the battery goes below 40%, it severely hampers my mobile capabilities which is a pretty big pain in the ass I must say.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:My life has been a complete mess lately, a mix of a lot of good things and a lot of really bad things, so here's an update!

Just wanted to say hang in there, Sach - I'm rooting for you. Having been reading this as it has unfolded from the original 'Lonely Hearts' post, I have to say you've gone about the whole thing in the most honourable and respectful way to all parties involved. Honestly, if only more people in the world were like you - putting the needs of others above your own, treating them as you'd like to be treated yourself - the world would be a very different place indeed.

Stay strong, man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSEsMpMxkg4
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:45 pm

If I come off as more bitter than usual, it's cause I caught a cold from one of my classmates. The Sniffles, the shaking, the headaches, the occasional cough, etc.

I'm attempting to cure myself with copious of Tea and Chicken Pho. Mixed success at best.

I love fall and winter, I hate cold and flu season.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Canker. Sore.

It's on the inside of my bottom lip. I've been putting an uncoated aspirin tablet on it every 8 or so hours, but it stings like hell. It's difficult to eat, well, anything, because it's sensitive to heat and to cold.

Calculus textbook authors have no business writing physics problems. It just blows my mind. I'm accustomed to the international standard that is the MKS system. Everything is defined in terms of metres, kilogrammes, and seconds (there are a few exceptions, radians per second, for example). But my calculus homework threw a big spanner in the works by using such retarded units as "Newton Centimetres", which were erroneously called "Joules". It's hilarious. They're using Newtons as "kg * (m/s**2)" but are defining the Joule as "kg * (m/s**2) * cm" WHAT THE FUCK.

They also thought it a good idea to use "foot pounds" but define everything in terms of inches and ounces.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 pm

So guess who finally got put on antidepressants in addition to the mood stabilizers he's already been taking?

Actually, the antidepressants themselves seem to be improving how I feel both emotionally and physically.

Huge problem though:

I have to avoid caffeine, because it could trigger a manic episode.

That means I can't be drinking chai.

Whoever thought that antidepressants could have such depressing consequences?

Also I'm sick of my job. Fuck customer service. I've been doing jobs like this for like 11 years now and I'm an extreme introvert with often misanthropic tendencies. And I hate feeling like I have to sell products to people, excuse me, "educate" our members.

Whatever. Call it what you want but it's still sales.

My dream job is something where I don't have to talk to people.

Or something artistic, like making music or movies or such because I'd really like to get paid for that instead of just doing it as a hobby. But no one thinks they have to pay for art anymore because Napster and stuff. Not that I mind doing it as a hobby because it's still rewarding, but you know.

In conclusion, life sucks but maybe Wellbutrin will make it feel a bit better in the meantime but I want to drink chai. Like really bad.

Fucking bipolar disorder. Oh well.

Good night.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:59 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:My dream job is something where I don't have to talk to people.

Or something artistic, like making music or movies or such because I'd really like to get paid for that instead of just doing it as a hobby. But no one thinks they have to pay for art anymore because Napster and stuff. Not that I mind doing it as a hobby because it's still rewarding, but you know.

Were people really making money at art before Napster? Even when I was young, and I mean back when cassettes were still a thing, I got the sense that art needed to be pret-ty damn good if you thought anybody was going to pay for it, precisely because of how useless it otherwise was.

It's like this one guy on a stage with a microphone said (I forgot who, but it might have been an economics professor or something like that), back in the caveman days when the first artists came about, everybody else was like "So you mean while we go out and hunt, and get hurt, and die, you're going to stay back here and draw us a picture? ...It better be one damn good picture."
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Yeah, the Napster comment was kind of stupid and off-handed. In my defense it was late.

I might try to enroll in further education to hopefully teach English as a second language... or any other subject that interests me that I can eventually qualify to teach. It's going to be difficult to adjust my life to make going back to school a feasible option.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:13 pm

I missed out most of the gay marriage drama in the moral issues thread today due to being at work.

#thestruggleisreal, #firstworldproblems
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh, yeah, Guy?

Well, my pup has an ulcer!!

:gendo_kimura:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm glad I had a test today. I first saw that thread when it was on page nine or something, a few hours before it got locked. Did a little reading and thought to myself, "I'll just sit this one out".
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:28 pm

For some reason that debacle has actually affected my mood for the worse. I really, really wouldn't have expected it to do so. I thought I didn't care.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:08 pm

My PC headset broke, so now I have no microphone and no way to use my PC without everyone hearing what I'm doing. On top of that my depression is getting worse to the point where I find the prospect of myself and everyone on earth dying horribly from ebola a glee-inducing prospect. The only solution I can think of is more medication and I absolutely refuse to do that.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:23 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I missed out most of the gay marriage drama in the moral issues thread today due to being at work.

Lots of people yelling at one another. You didn't miss much, and it's all there for your schadenfreudal perusal. :tongue:

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”