What Writers do you like?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

What Writers do you like?

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:13 pm

I admit I don't read enough except for textbooks. Recently I fancy Tom Clancy. His books got easy vocab and exciting storylines. How about you guys?
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Robert Thurston. The Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy was breathtaking.

K.A. Applegates's Everworld series was (in my opinion) excellent.

Brian Jacques. Loved Redwall as a kid, do now as well. The Angel's Command was also very well-written.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:45 pm

CS Lewis is great when he's doing non-fiction.
I also like BE Easton and Chuck Pahlaniuk. Among others.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:12 pm

I get the feeling I answered a similar thread about a year ago.

For some reason, I suffer under the delusion that I'm British, and as such am a fan of most of the usual authors, like C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, J.K. Rowling (she is a hack, though). Did read a lot of Brian Jacques when I was younger before I noticed that the plots of the newer Redwall books were becoming very similar.

Charles Dickens is a remarkable observer and lover of humanity, and conveys this in most of his novels.

More recently, Douglas Adams is of course in the "must-read" category, and his old friend Richard Dawkins also does some excellent non-fiction, although he can be quite arrogant.

Dante has a special place in my library, but his Commedia is best read under the tutelage of an excellent teacher like I had at the time.

As far as science fiction goes, I'd like to read more P.K. Dick and revisit some old friends like Ray Bradbury and Issac Asimov, if I can find the time.

Right now I'm reading The Cunning of Unreason by John Dunn. It's the first book I've read in a while that has been written so well and using such deftly complicated sentence constructions that it challenges my reading ability. Unfortunately, his eloquence lets him get away with questionable holes of logic in his arguments.

I could go on, but I won't.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am

i dont remember tha name of the author but...Artimes Fowl was a really cool book series...Tolkien i likes....

i remember that for the past two years of high school no one in my English class gets sheakspeare...(spelled wrong)...so i gotta stand in front and translate... :roll:

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:12 am

drinian wrote:I get the feeling I answered a similar thread about a year ago.
Same here but I can't find where.
But Authors I like are Tolkien, Neil Gaimen, and Homer.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Faußtin
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Faußtin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:37 pm

Well, I like many, but to mention someone who wasn't and you know that guy, I'd say Mark Twain. His "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arhtur's Court" was hilarious and quite memorable. :D
:twisted: !!!HELL IS FUN!!! :twisted:

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:58 pm

master0rolando wrote:i remember that for the past two years of high school no one in my English class gets sheakspeare...(spelled wrong)...so i gotta stand in front and translate... :roll:

I've always found Shakespeare to be a lot more comprehensible/enjoyable when it's being acted out... it's unfortunate that this often isn't the case. Did a couple of Shakespeare productions in early high school.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Unix Network Programming, by W. Richard Stevens

best book ever written. I own every edition and have a first edition signed by Stevens himself.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:45 pm

I have a "Teach Yourself Unix"-book at my place. I never did teach myself Unix, tho.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:14 am

I read mainly hard SF; and there are a number of authors who I liked in the day, but they seem to have rather gone off the boil in later years, where it would be a case of having to hand-pick individual recommended books

If I had to name a favourite author it would have to be Vernor Vinge, who has just been getting better and better - do grab his new novel, Rainbows End.

@tinmeigut - for you, I'd recommend Glen Cook's Black Company series : it's in its own little military fantasy genre (and about the only fantasy I've read in the last 20-odd years).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ripple_in_Eternity
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ripple_in_Eternity » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:56 am

[deleted by user]
Last edited by Ripple_in_Eternity on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:19 am

No1 that actually writes shit I have to read....

8)
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 am

drinian wrote:Did read a lot of Brian Jacques when I was younger before I noticed that the plots of the newer Redwall books were becoming very similar.

My brother says the same thing.

For my part, I read a lot of Robert Heinlein, William Gibson, Stephen Jay Gould, Arthur Clarke and Douglas Adams.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:39 pm

http://www.etni.org.il/farside/analogies.htm

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

I can't believe this sentence was ever written. Simply brilliant.
Last edited by Ornette on Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Pratchett was nice-The Discworld books were pretty nice. Also I enjoyed Bulgakov-maybe it's my russian side and my partial understanding of the humour, but I REALLY liked The Master and Margarita. For horror, I liked King. And for sci-fi, I've enjoyed some of Card's books, namely Ender's Game.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:24 pm

Tess Gerritson does great murder mysteries (not for people with a weak stomach. They're pretty greusome).

Also, Anthony Bourdain has two good books on the 'underbelly' of the resturant world. Its pretty neat

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:13 am

Andy McNab is my author of choice at the moment: anyone who manages to survive being in the SAS and then writes about it has my full and undivided attention. his best seller The Agressor was a particular joy to read and gave me some good influence on my own writing style. Mark Twaine - in my eyes - is the writer i compare to most. not that i'm saying i'm as good as him, but i like to portray true human nature and the darkness it entails blah blah blah. his The Mysterious Stranger was a classic as far as i'm concerned.

yeah, i write.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”