Recent Hauls 3: The quest for more stuff

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Received a parcel with some recent Y! Auction Japan buys:
- 4 Silent Moebius 1/8 scale garage kits: Wave's Yuki Saiko and Lebia Mavelick (manga versions, each was around 3,000 yen), Volks' Kiddy Phenil and Rally Cheyenne (movie versions; couldn't skip them for only 500 yen a piece). Although the kits are the same scale and overall size, the difference between the movie design and the (early) manga design is pretty jarring - the heads on the movie kits are almost twice as small as the manga versions... :cringe:
- Kaiyodo 1/35 Patlabor Ingram FINAL (Patlabor the Movie 2) vinyl kit - includes heads for all three units and some resin parts that shall be recast so I can complete my other Kaiyodo Ingram kit, which is missing the weapons. So now I have only 1 kit left to find: the Zero (and maybe the ultra-rare AV-02 Valiant Wonderfest kit that pops up now and then, provided I feel like paying 30,000 yen for a 20 cm high mech :bigeyes: )
- 2 Cyber Troopers Virtual-On papercraft kits: Grys-Vok and Raiden Prototype. These are pretty cool and fully articulated :D but at 1/60 scale they are also friggin HUGE.
- 2 Magic Knight Rayearth kits from Musasiya, obtained for about 1/3rd of the original retail price (which is close to 30,000 yen for both kits): 1/8 Princess Emeraude, which is made up from several big chunks of resin (and some smaller ones) and 1/1 Primera, which is made up from several even larger chunks of resin (the kit is really heavy) and some vacuformed parts. This pretty much concludes my collection of Rayearth kits, unless I can find one of the mechs for a decent price...
- Musasiya Sailor Moon S 1/8 Sailor Uranus/Neptune double kit. Wood's rendition of the ladies is considerably sexier (holy cleavage, people!) than the G-Port kits I already own...

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:09 pm

I bought a new case for my [s]7in[/s] 18cm Windows tablet. It has a little bluetooth keyboard in it, fits the tablet well, and the keyboard works without too many issues.

The only problem remaining is that I don't have a mouse. Well, I have a keyboard. A little AutoHotkey script later and I have keyboard-controlled mouse using some of the unused keys on the keyboard (it was intended for use on Android). It's a little bit like this, though. In order to do a click-drag, I have to hold down two keys (one to enable "mouse" mode, the other to hold down the left mouse button) then move it with the keyboard.

I'll probably come up with a better solution, but I can play Stronghold Crusader with it, so I'm happy.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:38 pm

I got Transformers: The Ark II delivered today. It's a really neat compendium of character models and stuff from all of the G1 Japanese Transformers series starting with The Headmasters in 1987 until Operation: Combination in 1992.

SPOILER: Show
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:29 am

Huh. That's kinda nifty, Aiko.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:06 am

Just to record that I finally got both editions of the end of the NGE manga:Image

Recent series I've been watching:

One of my top picks. Very nicely presented, on BDs, but in DVD cases, and with a substantial hardback book:
ImageImage
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Recent series I've been watching:

If you've made a honesty box purchase of Escaflowne, go and download the remastered version. There's no point in hurting your eyes with the old DVD version when that's available.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:15 pm

:wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:32 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:- Musasiya Sailor Moon S 1/8 Sailor Uranus/Neptune double kit. Wood's rendition of the ladies is considerably sexier (holy cleavage, people!) than the G-Port kits I already own...

Pics of everyone's favorite [s]"cousins"[/s]* ambiguously gay duo? Not sure if my Google-Fu is working tonight. *Might need to turn down volume, but it might be my headphones.

Oh, so I guess I never posted this (not sure if anybody really cares :tongue: ) but SH Figuarts Venus and Moon together makes me a happy SSD:

Neptune will probably be next, Zap's favorite of the Guardians next to Venus. Moon's hair is currently in a "wind blowing" effect since I got bored with its standard position (she's 2nd edition so no crying/winking bonus faces).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Got a nice, brand new toroidal transformer from my boss at work. It's got quite a number of taps for a decent range of voltages. (14, 20, 26, and 32 at 3.2 amps)

No idea what to use it for. Could probably build a nice AC power supply with it with a way to select each voltage. Would be good as a low voltage AC bench top power supply I reckon.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:31 pm

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:Got a nice, brand new toroidal transformer from my boss at work. It's got quite a number of taps for a decent range of voltages. (14, 20, 26, and 32 at 3.2 amps)

No idea what to use it for. Could probably build a nice AC power supply with it with a way to select each voltage. Would be good as a low voltage AC bench top power supply I reckon.
I could...uhh...take it off your hands for you. You could do more than just AC. Rectify it, add a voltage regulator and some controls and you've got a DC bench supply. You could also add some additional logic in there to switch between the taps to reduce the heat dissipation.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:12 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Pics of everyone's favorite [s]"cousins"[/s]* ambiguously gay duo?

I'll try to take some pics and post them to the Sailor Moon thread.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:30 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:You could do more than just AC. Rectify it, add a voltage regulator and some controls and you've got a DC bench supply. You could also add some additional logic in there to switch between the taps to reduce the heat dissipation.

Yeah, with further thought on it, adding needed regulators and rectification, it would make it a nice DC supply also and the added logic for thermal management would be a great addition as you said. I think this will be a nice little project once I have the parts on hand, and the time to put into it.

View Original PostCatamari wrote:I could...uhh...take it off your hands for you.

Well, if I somehow end up not going through with he project, (Which I really want to do) I could send it your way, though I dread to know what shipping costs would be as it's quite heavy (around 20 lbs by my estimate)

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:37 pm

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:Yeah, with further thought on it, adding needed regulators and rectification, it would make it a nice DC supply also and the added logic for thermal management would be a great addition as you said. I think this will be a nice little project once I have the parts on hand, and the time to put into it.
Depending on how much work you want to put into it, you could go from dreadfully simple with just an LM338 and smoothing and adjustment circuitry, to a more complex but far more flexible power supply.

Just remember, fuses fuses FUSES.

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:Well, if I somehow end up not going through with he project, (Which I really want to do) I could send it your way, though I dread to know what shipping costs would be as it's quite heavy (around 20 lbs by my estimate)
Lumps of iron aren't cheap to ship. :lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:58 pm

ImageImage
Australian R4 release, because only the first volume has been released in the US - I have no idea why.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:23 pm

I was able to get a nice book shelf that belonged to my late uncle. But the problem is that he was a smoker, so it does smell of smoke. I found online a couple of ways to get the smell out, but I would like to know is if I put books in there, would the smell get into them, even though I don't smoke myself?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:38 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Lumps of iron aren't cheap to ship. :lol:

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Depending on how much work you want to put into it, you could go from dreadfully simple with just an LM338 and smoothing and adjustment circuitry, to a more complex but far more flexible power supply.

Just remember, fuses fuses FUSES.

Oh yeah, the options available are pretty wide ranging. And indeed, fuses are very important, not only to protect the supply itself, but for general safety as well.

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Lumps of iron aren't cheap to ship. :lol:

Nope :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Bit of a cheer up gift for us. We got Neptune yesterday from Barnes & Noble.

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon May 04, 2015 11:13 am

Leaving for the Japan trip on Wednesday. Got my books in for the trip. I bought a number of them because I don't know how much downtime I will have, and I would prefer to read than fuck around on my tablet. Including: Lonely Planet: Japan, One Nation Under Therapy, and The Perfect Swarm. I'll also probably bring Spycraft along, since I have yet to finish it, and I have a 15 hour flight to Seoul.

Speaking of which, anyone in Seoul, Fukuoka, or Tokyo?

Also, WHO WANTS DAKIS?

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 pm

I'd like containers of that Kagome x Eva juice that's currently being sold. ;)

Awesome, you must be excited. :ting: Could not sleep at all on my flight over. I didn't touch any of my books once I got off the plane: American Sniper, Fodor's (had detailed itinerary and instructions from Pacset for my post-tour activities) or Tokyo pocket atlas (rented a mobile Wifi and used Google Maps).
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Also, WHO WANTS DAKIS?
Begone, tempter. Fortunately, the ones that I might have been interested in are long sold out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”