House of Lonely Hearts split : Romance/Marriage discussion

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50 pm

I don't have to worry about marriage for at least a decade or so, but all the talk on it seems quite interesting. From a lot of friends and family that are getting married, most of them have opted for the smaller, closer weddings than the giant, costly affair. Personally, I prefer attending smaller weddings over larger ones.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I don't have to worry about marriage for at least a decade
If you use protection, that is. :D

Is it true that Jewish weddings include the stomping on a cup/glass?

My father and stepmum got married for under $200, they invited a few people (sadly, they didn't invite me) to their lawn, had Italian food (cooked by my stepmum), ate cake, got hitched, and then proceeded to drink heavily. Everyone spent the night at their place.

From what I understand, it was quite something.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:04 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Is it true that Jewish weddings include the stomping on a cup/glass?

Yes! It's one of the coolest parts of the ceremony. Traditionally, the groom is the one that gets to do the stomping, but I've heard of women doing it as well. The glass is sometimes stomped on top of a piece of wood instead of the ground, and all of the shards are then placed into a box for safekeeping. I should know what the glass stomping symbolizes, but I don't. I just know it's cool.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:53 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If I ever get married I'm going to insist the ceremony include drinking contests, feats of strength and greek wrestling.

That's called an open bar.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I've been to an open bar wedding. No one wanted to wrestle me.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:03 pm

If I were to get married, I'll do it very frugally. No more than 12-15 invitees.

For a bigger celebration, I'd give it 10 years. By that time there is probably something really worth celebrating other than promises of commitment that still have to be lived up to. Plus your children might be around. I always thought it's unfair that kids rarely get to experience their parents' wedding and, assuming you want kids, it'd be great to have them around as a reason more to celebrate your union.

Also, I agree that a young couple should probably think of better things to spend their money home (a house downpayment for sure, like someone said) rather than a party with a 5-digit budget.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Owning a house is a form of slavery and though it may be fleeting the supreme joy of a public spectacle of one's love and commitment is an island of pure being in a sea of meaninglessness.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Owning a house is a form of slavery and though it may be fleeting the supreme joy of a public spectacle of one's love and commitment is an island of pure being in a sea of meaninglessness.

Aren't there bots now that exist to spit up complicated-sounding gibberish like this?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:28 pm

I am not a machine. I too once loved.
the prophecy is true

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:56 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I am not a machine. I too once loved.

Thirty years and those won't be mutually exclusive. :heehee:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:30 pm

I want a house, if for no other reason than I can choose what color the walls are and have a totally badass kitchen.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:52 pm

I want a big winnebago so I can roam the parking lots of Wal Mart and be a friend to wild creatures.

No woman would ever want to share that with me. My heart is forever sundered.
the prophecy is true

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I want a big winnebago so I can roam the parking lots of Wal Mart and be a friend to wild creatures.
You'll need a mog named Barf, an extra R in your name, and Bon Jovi playing in the background.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:11 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:You'll need a mog named Barf, an extra R in your name, and Bon Jovi playing in the background.

I knew someone was gonna make a joke about this movie sooner or later. It's my favorite 80s and I blame my dad for introducing me to it. I'd rewatch it if I had time and knew how to work the bluray player...

As for my views on marriage, I'm a girl I want a big fairy-tale wedding, the whole 9 yards, but sometimes I want a small a wedding. I finally realized that I'm 21 and I still wanna have fun until I reach about 24-25, then I'll be ready to settle down. I don't wanna be like the me a few months ago who was so focused on the future that she forgot how to have fun.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:29 pm

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:I knew someone was gonna make a joke about this movie sooner or later. It's my favorite 80s and I blame my dad for introducing me to it.
SpaceBalls is great. It's my favourite 80's movie after The Terminator.

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:I don't wanna be like the me a few months ago who was so focused on the future that she forgot how to have fun.
Don't have too much fun and forget about the future. I know EGF is awesome (I'm an addict, *snorts line of posts*), but there are other things that matter (bills, school, food). I was a little like that in high school. Getting a job really changed my view on free time, I value it a lot more, because I have less of it. Granted, I love what I get paid to do, but it's still a job, and my expenditure of time is more or less dictated by my boss.

I don't really see the appeal of the massive church wedding with all the bells and whistles. If that's what you want, more power to you. I'd rather put that same money into something else, a house, perhaps.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:58 pm

This thread has gone from suck to blow.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:59 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This thread has gone from suck to blow.

:lol: That's prime image macro material right there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 am

View Original PostReichu wrote::lol: That's prime image macro material right there.

Isn't it also against the spam/"inb4lock" rule?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:25 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:This thread has gone from suck to blow.

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:39 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Owning a house is a form of slavery and though it may be fleeting the supreme joy of a public spectacle of one's love and commitment is an island of pure being in a sea of meaninglessness.

How is owning a house a form of slavery compared to having to pay rent every single month (rent which is easily anything between 30% and 50% of your net income) until the day you are breathing?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”