FML General Thread [5]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:Believe me, kicks can be freaking brutal. I once couldn't walk straight because of the kick of someone who wasn't even a pro or anything like that. Also they're really helpful in terms of keeping your distance.

On a vaguely related note, I managed to win my first kick-only Taekwondo light sparring match of the term. Unfortunately the cost of victory was accidentally hurting my right foot when I kicked too hard into a block. Hopefully it'll get better, since my right leg is already lagging behind a bit since I pushed it a bit too far in a running session and experienced this searing pain while climbing up the stairs, which has since subsided but occasionally returns as a sort of dull ache.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm

@Bagheera That's a valid point, although I personally don't see other solutions than higher instances (mainly police) if her parents simply refuse to recognize it.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:@Bagheera That's a valid point, although I personally don't see other solutions than higher instances (mainly police) if her parents simply refuse to recognize it.

That's why I asked for specifics. If her parents are dealing with four special needs kids it seems more likely they're stymied at this point than simply blowing it off. They need to know exactly what's happening and why so they can address the problem, though it's an open question as to whether it would work better coming from PA or another adult (e.g. her therapist/school counselor/etc).

The one thing we have to remember is that we don't understand the full situation. Even leaving aside bias we're stil only getting snippets of the events in question, and that means we shouldn't try to provide advice too readily. Better by far to let PA use us as a sounding board so she can sort things out and choose the best course of action on her own.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

So, my front garden wall just got obliterated by a bunch of knackers. Apparently, one of the cunts was trying to run over another of the cunts and missed.

Fucking perfect.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Princess Asuka » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:
Princess, if you're comfortable telling us, what exactly are your brother's issues? Or, if you don't want to give specifics, can you tell us if his behavioral problems are a result of his disabilities? I ask because the remedies available to you are different if that's the case. Also, what steps have your parents taken in the past to address his violent outbursts? Are your psychologist and his in any sort of contact (or perhaps the same person)? It seems clear your brother needs treatment he isn't getting, so explaining the problem as clearly as possible to your parents and your psychologist will be a good way to help them determine what he needs so he can relax and stop being so aggressive toward everyone.

Finally, you seem to be leaning against it anyway, but just to reiterate: violence is not a good idea in your situation. It can work well against bullies who don't have to deal with you if they don't care to, but you have to live with this person for the foreseeable future and, moreover, he's an individual with mental problems. Attacking him will likely upset him even more, leading to more frequent and more violent episodes until one of you is seriously injured. You need to find the source of the problem and deal with it so that you can both live in peace; fighting him won't accomplish that.

Good luck.

I don't what his issues are exactly, but he swears a lot, gets angry a lot, if angered, he can get violent, often annoys me and my sister, but me and him just don't get along. :/ My sister's twin brother has substance abuse issues and anger issues, he got mad at me a few weeks ago and threw my desk chair at me. He thinks he's better than all of us and gets annoyed with my youngest brother a lot. The youngest brother will often act as my parent's spy and be a constant tattletale. His psychologist is in the same office as mine, but I'm not sure if they communicate. :/ I think he has also been hospitalized, but he reverted back to his current behavior after getting out. The kid loves violence, in movies, games, and inappropriate TV shows. As a result, he fails to understand Classic Disney movies, Mary Poppins, being the most recent example and when we saw Saving Mr. Banks he couldn't figure out that the man in the flashbacks was the author's father and he said both films were stupid and terrible. Also the kid is the no fun police, I can't do anything I enjoy because it annoys him, watch anime, he says it's stupid, listen to music and sing, he complains and throws stuff at me, read manga, see it's stupid, etc. I have no freedom because this kid is a disciplinarian and thinks he can parent me. Also, he hardly ever gets punished, it's alwayss me for some unknown reason.

As for fighting, I don't fight because I know I'll get hurt. My mom told me yesterday, don't react to him and we'll discuss what to do about him as a family. She doesn't want me to put the family in a situation where the authorities could be involved, but rather try and solve it first.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Turned on my computer this morning and suddenly the contrast/brightness on my main monitor is shit. Everything's noticeably darker. Was able to fix it by upping the contrast in CCC but a similar problem happened to my old monitor when it was starting to go, so I can only assume...
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Melchior » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Turned on my computer this morning and suddenly the contrast/brightness on my main monitor is shit. Everything's noticeably darker. Was able to fix it by upping the contrast in CCC but a similar problem happened to my old monitor when it was starting to go, so I can only assume...

Have you...
Tried a new cable to see if you have a damaged pin/connector in your current cable?
Tried redownloading your video drivers?
Made any recent changes to your computers (hardware or software)?
Downloaded Windows (assuming windows, inb4 not windows) updates recently?

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:04 pm

1. No, alas I don't have another cable.
2. Aye, no luck.
3. Not since the last reboot.
4. Only update was a definition update for windows defender.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Melchior » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Generally speaking, the cables won't be an issue... but it might be worth trying to borrow one from someone/something to test it. Unless you have a habit of moving your screens and components around, cables will almost never be the culprit.

How old is the monitor? CRT, LCD, or LED?

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Everyone talks about bad parents, and how poisonous they are - and for good reason. It's common sense. But nobody talks about the opposite, which is the damage that good parents can do. They give their children everything - and as observers of humanity of a certain strain stretching from Mauss to Baudrillard have noted, what happens when you receive everything, and can give nothing back in return? Spiritual rot and nothing else. No wonder we're so fucked up from our generation's chronic unemployment: our parents give us all the support we need, but our autonomy and sense of well being comes precisely from being able to pay back, which is the only way one can definitively become one's own person. Humans run on honor and interpersonal prestige as much as they do on pleasure and the warding off of scarcity. The higher man is the one who monopolizes giving.

I feel sorry for parents. In spite of their best possible intentions, the unpredictability and innate irony of the world condemns them to be the bad guys in some way or another.

Completely off topic: I'd like to send out this message to everyone on the internet who isn't getting laid and starts acting like an entitled /r9k/-grade shithead about it. You are not getting laid because you are bad at flirting. You suck at talking to the people whom you want to pork. Women are under no obligation to get near your dick just because you try hard.

If a neurotic basket-case like me can recognize this about myself, then you can too.
Last edited by chee on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:54 pm

View Original PostMelchior wrote:Generally speaking, the cables won't be an issue... but it might be worth trying to borrow one from someone/something to test it. Unless you have a habit of moving your screens and components around, cables will almost never be the culprit.

How old is the monitor? CRT, LCD, or LED?

Two years, LCD.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Melchior » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:59 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Two years, LCD.

Hmmm, well damn.

The only other thing I could suggest is unplugging the video cable, and the power cable. Once they are both removed from the monitor, hit the power buttong a few times and make sure it's cycled out. Computer components can often get static build up (though, I generally only see it with laptops due to the batteries).

As a last resort, it's worth a shot... otherwise you might need to look at a new monitor soon :3

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. On the bright side I think I might have got the extended warranty so it might still be covered.

Also I just realized that it might not have been clear from my main monitor remark, I use two screens and it's only the primary one that got screwed up, my other one looks fine. So yea, I don't think it's a software issue. (And the other monitor uses a different wire type.)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

So I wasn't really feeling it at the gym today, so a friend of me got me two scoops of his sickest pre-workout.
Me, never having taken any kind of workout supplement, almost got the sickest heart attack

:lol:

SPOILER: Show
[8:17:39 PM] aiouh: Beta-Alanine (As Carnosyn®), Creatine (As Creatine Monohydrate), Taurine, L-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Caffeine (As Caffeine Anhydrous), Guarana (Paullinia Cupana) (Seed), Yerba Mate (Ilex Paraguariensis) (Leaf), L-Tyrosine (As N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine), Sausage Tree (Kigelia Africana) (Root), Orange (Citrus Sinensis) (Whole), Psoralea (Psoralea Corylifolia) (Seed), Adhatoda (Adhatoda Vasica) (Leaf), Ginger (Zingiber Officinale) (Root), Schisandra (Schisandra Chinensis) (Fruit), Mocan (Visnea Mocanera) (Leaf), Grape (Vitis Vinifera) (Seed).

Other Ingredients:
Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Acesulfame K, Silica, Maltodextrin, FD&C Yellow No. 5, FD&C Red No. 40, And Vitamin C (As Ascorbic Acid).
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Melchior » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Well, hopefully you've got the coverage on it CJD.
2 Monitor Master Race!
:D

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm

View Original PostDartz wrote:So, my front garden wall just got obliterated by a bunch of knackers. Apparently, one of the cunts was trying to run over another of the cunts and missed.

Fucking perfect.

Take a shit on his front door, and attach a note saying "THAT'S FOR MY ROSEBUSHES, MONKEYFUCKER"

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:50 pm

I keep getting these calls to my house from "Reliance". Whenever I pick it up it's creepy piano music playing, well, I don't know, it's some sort of piano music, sounds creepy, but it could be some happy arrangement that only sounds creepy because I'm getting fucking ghost called by someone from beyond the grave, maybe. Anyways, I get about 5 calls from them every hour until 6 p.m. I've just stopped picking it up now, mostly because I don't want to her something like "I'm in the house and I'm going to sodomize you in your sleep motherfucker" because while the does sound appealing, I have a feeling that's not the only thing they'd do to me. So now I'm totally paranoid, I've locked myself in my room, turned all the lights on in the house and I'm watching happy, kid friendly movies so I don't shit my pants. Maybe I pissed someone off and they've hired really good hitmen, hence the name "Reliance", but they don't want to kill me because I'm such a cool dude, but they were hired by some crime kingpin and have to kill me, so they're warning me about it. I only say this because I drove to a mall, got some stuff, then drove half way across town to go to the bookstore, and this fat ass with a fedora ( or trilby, whatever the fuck they are ) was at both of them, and kept staring at me. I don't think it's assassins though, and if it was, I could take on Tubby Tits if I had to. Seriously though, shit is scary. I regret watching all those horror movies. If I die, my only regret is that I didn't get a little square under my name.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Edit: Eh, fuck it. I don't feel like walking into a mine field.
Last edited by chee on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 pm

chee: The one year I spent at a school that had nothing but "special needs" students was probably the singular most awesome year of school I ever had. So experiences do differ...

Also, I think FML is supposed to be used for complaining about actual concrete issues in your life right now, not as a general soapboxing platform. If you want to soapbox, that's what dedicated threads are for.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Someone named Jasmine Benson has been giving people my phone number and collection agencies keep calling me.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”