[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:22 am

My favorite track off the whole album is "Communication Breakdown" which I had actually listened to eons ago in the movie Small Soldiers and didn't know it. :tongue: It may be a mere two minutes and some seconds long but it does the job of being a solid rock n roll layout.

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Hello eva internet people. I feel hypomanic and want to post about music.

Marilyn Manson - The devil beneath my feet.
This self-confessed goth redneck has finally released good music after a while fueling my current episode of hypomania
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdj5sQx4C08[/url]

I am saving Karin Dreijer Andersson for my post-hypomanic state
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_50c8QZZyQ[/url]
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:53 pm

I finally got my copy of Michael Jackson's "Xscape" album. I had already heard "Slave to the Rhythm" several times before which was a very catchy tune, when I put the CD on to hear the rest, the first song "Love Never Felt So Good" immediately captured me with it's homage to the disco era.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:10 am

Lu-Cuss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lu-Cuss » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I got a copy of DJ Krush's album Meiso for my birthday, and I can't stop listening to it over and over again. The drums are so perfectly groovy and massive, and it's just amazing in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8aultVcsis
Mountain... Heavy mountains. Things that change over time.
Sky... Blue sky. What your eyes can't see. What your eyes can see.

"You gotta be you. Only one in the world." - Hideki Kamiya

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:02 pm

[url]http://marvel.com/news/comics/24157/faith_no_more_brings_superhero_to_marvel[/url]

I guess I could have linked directly to that unlisted video but I thought to do it this way instead...

Anyway, NOW I'm getting HYPED. I am still not very fond of that Mother------ single. It just doesn't grow on me. But this...
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Upgraded my rig today, if you don't want to read all the details, skip to the end to listen to the samples, they're pretty amazing.

A little while ago, I was talking to my old roommate (who's also into turntables) about the cartridge that came with the Technics SL-1200mk2 that I hadbought, and how much I spent on it. The cartridge that came with it was the one that I was using, the Shure SC-35C, which is a budget cartridge and seemsto mostly be used by DJ's. I bought the rig from someone who used it for DJing so that's not unusual, and although it was a low-range/budget cartridge, itwas better than the Audio-Technica cartridge that was on my old turntable.

After the short conversation, I got to thinking. The turntable probably could use a better cartridge and it's purely for at-home use so it's not going toget bounced around or anything. In the past, I've thought that I've heard noise over the higher range on certain songs, probably more noticeable on somesongs than others. It's something that I've never noticed when listening to the CD counterparts. Additionally, I've always felt that the high range was kindof lacking when it came to comparing my LP's with their CD counterparts. It all sounded a bit too mellow, and not as crisp as on CD's. Initially I chocked thatup to either my system (Nakamichi isn't known for being high end, or having a great phono pre-amp) or the fact that it was just the LPs or the way theywere mixed/produced. One day, after hearing some of that noise on a Beatles album (can't remember what song), I decided it was time for an upgrade. If theupgrade didn't make a difference, then so be it and I'll know that it's not the cartridge but own a better one anyways, however if it did,then it'll mean that I wasn't just hearing things.

After doing some research, reading opinions on audiophile forums, and other reviews, I decided to go with an Ortofon 2M Red. It's a good entry-level priced (around $150) mid-end/budget cartridgethats won a lot of awards. The 2M series is a moving magnet type of cartridge, and had a lot of really good reviews, and the Red (the lowest end of the series)had especially good reviews and awards for being of great value, sound for the price. I had looked into a couple of other cartridges, including a lower endmoving coil cartridge but I read that the low output signal from those are ill suited for the type of amp that I have. I also looked into lower end Gradosand Denons, but the feedback from people who own SL-1200mk2s convinced me that the Ortofon was the best choice for me.

The seller that I bought from had a deal for the 2M Red that includes an Ortofon head shell. I wasn't sure if I wanted to replace the Stanton head shell thatI currently have but I thought it could be worth it to do a complete swap. I read that the Ortofon head shell was a bit on the heavy side, and that theSL-1200mk2's counter weight wasn't enough for its weight. Ortofon's own documentation for the head shell notes that Technics tone arms will require anauxilary weight. At some point maybe I'll buy the extra weight for the tone arm if it comes down to needing it.

So when the Ortofon arrived, it looked sleek and well put together. The design of the cartridge was one of the things that I liked about it, it looksmodern but a bit above similarly looking cheap cartridges (it's supposedly faceted like a diamond). I don't mind the oldschool lookingform-follows-function cartridges, but if I was going to do a fullswap, let's try something new. The first thing that needed to be checked out was the weight. As I figured, the headshell plus the 2M Red was too heavy formy SL-1200mk2's counter weight, and I couldn't zero the tone arm. To get an idea of how far off the weight was, I temporarily taped some quarters to the endto see at what point I could zero it and it was a pretty significant difference. That means I can't use the slick Ortofon head shell and I'll need to removethe Shure cartridge and recalibrate everything with the Ortofon in its place. Not a big deal, and I was half expecting this.

After screwing in the cartridge and connecting the wires,the first thing was to set it at the correct length. The stylus to the rubber mount needs to be 52mm, I didn't have a setting jig (I think they sell for like$5) so I made a paper one. I had to go back a few times to make sure it was 52mm on the dot after a few other calibrations.

The next was to align the cartridge. There's a couple of suggested alignments for different turntables, and people couldn't seem to agree with what thebest for the SL-1200mk2 was. I printed out an alignment protractor that had a number of different suggestions on it and tried to align (a magnifying glassand flashlight is a must here) it against a couple of different ones. There really didn't require very much offset at all, and the Technics suggested alignmentwas probably the least so I just went with that. Alignment needs to happen at two points in the tone arm's arc at specific distances from the center, andthere really is no way of doing this without at the very least a template.

As a quick check, I put a small level on the tone arm to make sure it was level when the stylus is on the platter. There's some riser pads that were already onthe Stanton head shell that I wasn't sure if I needed (because they also provide additional weight) but it turns out that I needed the riser in order for thearm to be most level.

Finally I had to setup the tracking force. The recommended tracking force was 1.8g, which was a little heavier than what the Shure cartridge was calibrated to.I continued to go a little light and set it to 1.6g which was the lowest of the suggested range. The 2M Red is heavier than the Shure cartridge so the counterweight needed to be zeroed. This is done by simply adjusting the counter weight until the tone arm floats over the platter, then setting the dial to zero.At this point, I can adjust the entire weight and the dial would tell me the amount of tracking force that was on the stylus. Another problem with theadditional weight of the Ortofon was that in order to balance the tone arm, the counter weight needed to be so far out on the calibrating arm that it wasn'tactually touching the threads making it a little precarious. So, I went ahead and ordered a 10g auxilary weight that screws into the end of the calibrating arm.This could also come into play if or when I decided to use the Ortofon head shell. If I ever decided to do that, I could recalibrate the Shure cartridgein the Stanton head shell and quickly be able to swap them if I ever wanted to.

Finally, how does it sound?

In a word, brilliant. I figured there would be an increase in sound quality but I wasn't expecting to be blown out of the water. The clarity and thehigh end response was no comparison with the Shure, even without listening to a side-by-side comparison, it was clear as day that this was a significantupgrade. The only knocks that I can think of (so far, as I've only spent a few hours listening to the new cartridge) is that it picks up on the imperfectionsof the vinyl more than the Shure seems to, that combined with the SL-1200's penchant for being rough on scratches and ticks means those are just going to bemore noticeable. The other thing that I noticed was the bass response was a bit weaker. Actually, weaker may not be the right word, accurate may be the betterword. With the Shure cartridge, I've always noticed that the bass was a bit boomier compared to the same tracks on CD, and I kind of liked that. Now, the samesongs has a closer bass response as the CD counterparts. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just that I kind of liked the boom. I may experiment some withmy amp's tone.

As part of the anticipated cartridge upgrade, I went and ripped a couple of songs using the Shure cartridge then the Ortofon cartridge. I chose differentkinds of music, as well as different amounts of wear on the vinyl and songs from different parts of the record (outer/middle/inner). Here's a bunch of samples:

The Voivod and Budgie songs are probably the most noticeable. In parts of Echoes, you can hear the difference in the bass that I was referring to. Throughouttracks like the Dorsey and Willie songs, you can hear how the Ortofon is less forgiving about damage on the vinyl. But it's pretty clear that this is astellar upgrade across the board, the quality of the sound is better in each case compared to the old Shure cartridge. I considered paying about $100 more forthe Blue and now I kind of wish that I did, but I had read that the only difference between the Red and Blue was the stylus and they share the same casing,whereas the bronze and black had a different mroe advanced casing (those are way more expensive). I'm curious how much better another $100 of stylus wouldsound but I have a feeling that it's not going to be the same significant jump in sound quality that I got moving from the Shure to the 2M Red. I'm sureif I had bought the 2M Blue and noticed the similar leap in quality, I would have attributed it the extra $100 I spent on the stylus, but the Red being thelowest end of the Ortofon 2M series, I think I can safely say it was more the qualities of the 2M line in general. At this point, I'm not sure I'm so willingto upgrade again to the 2M Blue.

Lu-Cuss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lu-Cuss » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Anyone else patiently waiting for the final Death Grips album? It was supposed to come out just before my birthday last month but of course they just delayed it again for no apparent reason. :irked: They did upload this though, at the very least. Zach's drums are on point here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5GCn1BKkxg

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Jenny Death needs to be released soon, before the hype overpowers the actual product and everyone ends up disappointed.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 am

This. Fucking. Album.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 am

It's so sad (and funny) that scat singing is called what it is.

To me, "scat duet" brings something completely different to mind.

Also, "scat duel."

:lol:

Lu-Cuss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lu-Cuss » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:34 am

Anyone else like doom metal and/or black metal? I found a band called Gaul a few years ago when browsing Bandcamp. Personally I think they're pretty amazing but nobody's even heard of them, which sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNga_-gK7E

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:57 am

View Original PostLu-Cuss wrote:Anyone else like doom metal and/or black metal? I found a band called Gaul a few years ago when browsing Bandcamp. Personally I think they're pretty amazing but nobody's even heard of them, which sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNga_-gK7E

What a coincidence. I actually saw this band live last year, at a metal bar in Chesapeake. It was a good set, and they played the song you posted too.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Lu-Cuss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lu-Cuss » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Woah. Small world, man.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:22 am

So, new Prurient album is out next month on Canadian metal label Profound Lore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dgFykz0bNo

Sounds incredible - like a blend of the Rose Pillar 11" and Bermuda Drain, which are my two favourite Dom Fernow releases (alongside his Vatican Shadow stuff) - infinitely beautiful yet brutally bleak in the same span.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aww man, Japanese band Envy, one of my favourite bands of all-time, have a new one out in May as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoF0O_13_w

Anyone here who shares my taste in heavier post-rock should check it out. Titled Atheist's Cornea (yeah, you should see some of the other titles and song names they've got going on), the portion heard in the teaser sounds like it may be more in the vein of their earlier records, circa early to mid-2000s. They're one of those bands where even the tone of their guitars will make you melt. Right up there with Converge, Thursday, The Cure and Burial for me.
Warren Peace, #643919

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:05 am

I've recently been listening to Dire Straits quite a lot lately. There is a music shop close to where I work so on Saturday after finishing I go along there and they were had a few Dire Straits albums on sale. So I picked up Alchemy last week and Brothers In Arms yesterday.

I first got into Dire Straits when I was about 15/16. My Dad had a number of albums so I'd borrow them and listen, I don't live at home anymore so I can't borrow his albums and have to purchase my own and I haven't listened to Dire Straits properly in a few years. Coming back to them... wow, what an experience. Knopfler had a tremendous talent in not only the guitar but his lyrical work. Whilst he may not be the best singer in the world he could really paint this picture with his words and tracks like Sultans Of Swing, Private Investigations, Brothers In Arms, Telegraph Road draw you into these worlds he was singing about.

It's also inspired me to try to work on my fingerpicking guitar technique, something I've always slacked on with me prefering to use a pick or at the very least Hybrid style.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:41 pm

New Refused; Elektra Amazing how it sounds like it'd belong right on The Shape of Punk to Come, as if the band hasn't aged at all since they broke up.

Honestly never thought I'd see the day when Refused would release a new album, but the world is always full of surprises. Though I suppose this could sort of diminish the mystic of the band and their whole disbandment, I'm pretty excited to get new music from these guys. I've always had a ton of respect for them, considering all of the acts they influenced and their appeal to a lot of people who weren't originally all that crazy about hardcore music.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:55 pm

Holy shit. New Refused. And it's good.

:heehee:
Warren Peace, #643919

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Recently got my first taste of Iron Maiden with the purchase of The Number of the Beast and Powerslave. Of the two, I actually never thought I would like Powerslave better since it has a well put accompaniment of instrumental rock in the sole instrumental track as well as tracks that have lyrics but give us the goods in the department I really appreciated.

Also, I am starting to get into Nine Inch Nails' material past Pretty Hate Machine which is sadly the only album I currently own. The ever popular "Closer" gets repeated listening from moi and I also note that I see a lot of NIN songs used as examples in the thread about which songs remind people of Eva the most.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:17 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:I've recently been listening to Dire Straits quite a lot lately. There is a music shop close to where I work so on Saturday after finishing I go along there and they were had a few Dire Straits albums on sale. So I picked up Alchemy last week and Brothers In Arms yesterday.

I first got into Dire Straits when I was about 15/16. My Dad had a number of albums so I'd borrow them and listen, I don't live at home anymore so I can't borrow his albums and have to purchase my own and I haven't listened to Dire Straits properly in a few years. Coming back to them... wow, what an experience. Knopfler had a tremendous talent in not only the guitar but his lyrical work. Whilst he may not be the best singer in the world he could really paint this picture with his words and tracks like Sultans Of Swing, Private Investigations, Brothers In Arms, Telegraph Road draw you into these worlds he was singing about.

It's also inspired me to try to work on my fingerpicking guitar technique, something I've always slacked on with me prefering to use a pick or at the very least Hybrid style.

Alchemy is by far one of the best live albums I've ever heard. The film is a must see if you haven't; although the picture quality is a relic of the past the recent 5.1 Mix is brilliant, there's so much more sax and piano that was either muddied or left out completely in the record. It was Alchemy and my parents' copy of Making Movies that got me into the band (even if my old music teacher was adamant that "they've had too much radio play"). Also good to see Knopfler is still releasing new material.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”