[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:07 am

Last week, I listened Pink Floyd's latest "album" The Endless River. Although it is nice to hear some more from them (and knowing this will be the last of any "new" material) it did feel a bit too... filler-ish. There were some great ambient pieces; sides 3 and 4 were definitely more powerful than the first two (not to mention the final track being the only vocal track) and each instrumental "piece" flowed nicely between each respective track. But it really sounded like what it was originally supposed to be: Division Bell outtakes. Fortunately the record's packaging was quite nice (some weighty vinyl, it might be heavier than 180g). The booklet had some nice snaps of the band's last days as a trio in the studio, and the LP came with the common digital download code, although I think I'd rather listen to the album as a whole than as separate tracks. A good birthday present though, along with Led Zeppelin's fourth album reissue (which sounds amaze-balls!)

I finally got to go to the record store myself with my meager student budget the other day, and although my purchases can't compare to the likes of some above posts (so... much...) I'm pretty happy with grabbing a copy of my favorite Supertramp album Even in the Quietest Moments... and a great condition copy of everyone's favorite awfully mixed stereo-wrecker, Bat out of Hell (it does sound surprisingly better than my CD copy though)
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:24 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Shame we live in different countries. We have pretty similar tastes in music. The disparity's even more glaring knowing that I don't even get any shows at all where I live.

I know right. That would be cool. Though I must warn you. I'm a bouncer and a singer. If I know the lyrics I'm singing it. But I hope you get to see something you like come your way. They're just starting to bring a lot of different shows back to south Florida. We get some good stuff but sometimes it's still too far away.

On a another note. I just got Chevelle's new album La Gargola. This album is :heart:. I know a lot of people consider them mainstream but I love this band. Everytime I hear them they take me on a melodic journey. This album does the same thing. It starts off heavy with Ouija Board, which had me bouncing around my kitchen. So did Take out the Gunman and Jawbreakers. And I was coasting along with Twinge and One Ocean. The whole album just flowed well. Hopefully they visit next year so I can put them on my list.
:D
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:10 pm

New Cretin album came out today. For those who like their grindcore sick.
[url]http://cretin.bandcamp.com/album/stranger[/url]
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 am

Not really sure where to post this, but what kind of headphones do you guys use? I'm thinking of snagging myself something relatively cheap in the 50-80$ range (maybe 100$ at a long stretch) for Christmas, but I want to find something of decent quality. Trouble is, I'm having trouble tracking anything concrete down due to the number of different permutations and my lack of experience. So far the ones I'm considering are:

Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Skullcandy Navigator
Creative Aurvana Live!
Audio-Technica ATH-WS55
Sol Republic 1211-03

Durability might also be important because I'm pretty unlucky when it comes to tech that's not built to last.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:20 am

Sennheiser and AT are both quality brands, you won't go wrong with them. Skullcandy are kind of gummy even though they're the set I currently have (got one of the higher range items for sale price). I'm no audiophile but their sound is super crisp and the treble and bass are both superbly balanced. Pretty durable too I might add.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:43 am

The headphones in your price range (under 100$) don't tend to have any differences in sound quality. If you are looking for solid audio quality, you need to go for the cheapest high-end products, you'll need to go past 100$ (somewhere between 120$ and 140$). You can only appreciate the difference after you have used high-end headphones for a couple of months (and then you don't even want to go back to cheaper models).

In any case, with your budget I would suggest just checking models by a reliable maker (Sennheiser and Audio-Technica are hailed for a good reason) and see what sort of reviews they have on Newegg and Amazon. I usually check the negative reviews first even though they hardly tell the truth (only if there is a significant deal of 1-star and 2-star reviews you should avoid the product) and then proceed to see what sort of downsides the 3-star and 4-star reviewers mention. If those downsides are a problem for you, then skip the product. If they are not, then there shouldn't be anything that should stop you from enjoying the headphones.

I own headphones by both Sennheiser and Sony, and both of them have been really splendid. I don't use the Sennheiser headphones anymore because after many, many years of not-so-gentle usage the ear muffs were utterly destroyed so the headphones were not pleasant for my ears. In terms of audio quality the lack of ear muffs didn't really change anything so the headphones are built very well. Sony MDR-7506 is a model as old as I am (it has been sold since 1991, which is rare and a sign of good quality) and it is absolutely awesome.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:57 am

I rate both the Sennheisers you list and the Sony ones Oz mentions. I have in daily use some older Sennies and those Sonys. My choice was based on accuracy, for monitoring when mastering recordings for commercial release. I've been able to get spares (earmuffs, indeed!) for the Sennies; haven't needed to for the (younger) Sonys. Some Sennheisers have steel cables which are very strong but can introduce a lot of mechanical handling noise.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:06 am

I don't have any experience with any of the models mentioned in the above posts so I can't really comment on them. However, Sennheiser and AT should be good.

I've for a few years now used a pair of AKG 272s that I got for "cheap" at a sale (around 120€ if I remember correctly, could've been a bit cheaper even). They're as good as advertised. All the negative comments that I've seen for this model seems to revolve around them breaking down easily, but I haven't had any issues with my pair. The other complaint seems to be a lack of bass, which is a mystery to me. To my ear the bass is well-balanced, but I guess many people enjoy an overwhelming rumble.

Another model that I was considering is Vmoda M80. They are currently on discount at Amazon, and should be really good from what I've heard and read.
"Zip zop wop boopity bop." - Bill Cosby

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 am

Too lazy to do a proper post but my favourite releases of the year in no particular order:
    Interpol - El Pintor
    This Will Destroy You - Another Language
    Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
    Whirl - Sway
    Nothing - Guilty of Everything
What do you guys reckon?

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:31 am

My favorite album of 2014 --
View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I mentioned on this thread a couple months ago that a lot of my "go-to" artists were coming out with new albums, but I was still surprised the other day when it was announced that Owen Pallett (formerly known as Final Fantasy) is releasing a new LP

In Conflict by Owen Pallett. This album has it all; fantastic electronic arrangements, smart angry lyrical themes about growing up/old, uptempo tracks for jogging, slower sensual ones, great record packaging and a feeling that the album was meant as an album, not just a collection of songs recorded the last couple years.

The album is set off right with "I am not Afraid" and "In Conflict," and ends with its two best electropop tracks, "The Riverbed" and "Internal Fantasy." Coincidentally those are my favs on the record.

Also, when I went downtown to pick up the LP I wore my Nerv shirt and got to talk to a pretty girl because of it. :kawaii:
--------------------------------------------
My favorite album of 2014 by an artist newer to me --

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Continuing with the fantastic music year that is 2014, I've been listening to Modern Baseball's You're Gonna Miss it All nonstop for the past couple days.

You're Gonna Miss It All by Modern Baseball.

From the ages of 12-19, most of everything I listened to was "emo" or "pop punk" (Mostly Thursday[who I already talked about rediscovering back in January], Saves the Day, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, The Exploding Hearts, etc.) Then from 19-23 I rarely if ever listened to anything other than I guess what people would call indie, and if I wasn't listening to indie it was mostly soul music from the 60s. Basically this all stemmed from me trying to get away from the music that I felt represented a less "mature" or "cool" me. Which was, of course, a true bullshit thing for me to do. However, I did do dumber things in those four years(lulz).

So You're Gonna Miss it All reminded me a lot of the music I grew up with. I think I only checked out Modern Baseball because I liked their band name. Basically I was into them from the first time I listened to the first track released from You're Gonna Miss it All which is titled "Rock Bottom." Streamed the rest of the album, ordered the vinyl, and had it on repeat on my ipod that day. The album brought me back to my younger self by continuing a genre I know and love, keeping it fresh.

Only one song on You're Gonna Miss it All is longer than three minutes, the lyrics are biting and things "you think and believe as true but you don't say them into a microphone for anybody to hear because you know you'll be embarrassed by them later" but they're all sung with a self confidence that makes the listener want to raise their fist and say "people that don't like me can go to hell." The lead singer also talks about how he just wants to ditch class and watch Planet Earth with his girl, which is how a lot of people I know spent a lot of days in college.
"Broken Cash Machine" / "Rock Bottom" / "Apartment" / "Two Good Things" / "Pothole" were my favs on this one. The only reason the album wasn't my fav of the year is that I think it lags just a touch in the middle.

Also, listened to this one the night I went to see The Wind Rises subbed in theatres :kawaii:
----------------------------------
Other albums I dug, and my favorite tracks on each, in order of best to still rad;
What is This Heart? -- How to Dress Well. "What You Wanted" "Repeat Pleasure" and "Childhood Faith in Love" were the highlights.
Glass Boys -- Fucked Up. "Glass Boys" and "The Great Divide" were highlights.
El Pintor -- Interpol. "My Blue Supreme" and "All the Rage Back Home" were the highlights.
What Would Jens Do? Mixtape -- Jens Lekman. Not actually an album, but three new Jens' songs mixed with songs Jens enjoyed. "What's That Perfume That You Wear?" was the best of the three.
-------------------
Single I should have bought instead of the whole album it was on;
"Lariat" by Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, which was off the (still) wonderfully titled Wig Out at Jag Bags.
---------------------------
Album and artist I spent the most time listening to;

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed and Cambria. Possibly the catchiest album ever produced. With some sort of space opera thrown in for good measure.
----------------------------
Older artist I had the most fun getting into; Depeche Mode. Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, and Music For the Masses have quickly become three of my all time favorite records.
------------------------------
Finally; my favorite girl group of the year; Orange Caramel...Catallena!
-------------------------------------------------
Had a good time with music this year, for sure. Looking forward to what 2015 brings.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:15 am

Shit, I keep on forgetting to check out that Modern Baseball record, Joy.
Downloading now.

:nyao:

fizz450_03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fizz450_03 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:39 am

Do we have any gigging musicians here? In any style of music? ^_^
only mankind would be foolish enough to harness the engine of it's own destruction

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Sort of old news but Modest Mouse finally came out with a new single, Lampshades on Fire, and a new full length due in March, which I'm sure I'll be very much into.

Like a lot of people, I've been into Modest Mouse for quite some time. Unlike a lot of people(at least the ones I know), I enjoy We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank and No One's First and You're Next as much as The Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon and Antartica.

I was starting to worry that they'd never actually get around to recording anything ever again, but I'm glad they took their sweet time with this one; they deserve to. Plus it's nice to wait for things sometimes, especially in a world where everything is available all the time.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:36 am

My favourite releases of the year can be found in Last.fm. Overall, this has been one of strongest years for my taste.
"Zip zop wop boopity bop." - Bill Cosby

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:53 am

View Original Postfizz450_03 wrote:Do we have any gigging musicians here? In any style of music? ^_^
I don't gig, but I do record a fair amount. Not sure how to describe it, other than a pseudo-ambient composite of the arsenal of instruments I have on hand and pretend I know how to play. Most of it sucks. I'm in talks with another user on the forum about collaborating on a trashy side-project, soon.

I'd like to get a decent synthesizer and churn out some retro crap, but the tube-driven ones tend to be a bit too pricy for my blood at the moment. It's hard justifying new acclamations when the hobby doesn't make any dosh to play with.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:24 pm

View Original PostMJL wrote:My favourite releases of the year can be found in Last.fm.

Good read, although it just makes me feel bummed about how lazy I've been with new music this year...

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:25 am

View Original PostMJL wrote:My favourite releases of the year can be found in Last.fm. Overall, this has been one of strongest years for my taste.

Wow, amazing list. Love the write-ups too. Surprised to see the Gas Chamber record omitted from the list though
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:52 am

The 2014 Album or Ogre you Asshole is pure bliss; I can't even classify it in a Genre, but it's really, really smooth. Everyone should give it a listen.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:10 am

Holden - The Inheritors

Slept hard on this one. Exactly my kind of electronica; dance with flourishes of noise, experimental and the production is absolutely insane. Plenty of moodier ambient pieces as well.

Favourite track: Renata

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:55 pm

My infatuation with military songs have led me to Mongolia and Romania.

For Romania, I guess the most famous is Treceti batalioane romane Carpatii (I have taken a particular liking of Cantec ostasesc, and Marsul vanatorilor de munte) (And if anybody could translate the song 'Sergentul' it would be nice because I quite like this one too)

Regarding Mongolia, the Mongolia military ensemble has their own youtube account (not updated in a while)
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/militaryensemble/[/url]
And I especially like 'Batlan Xamagaalaxin Duulal' (Батлан хамгаалахын дуулал)or the Song of Defense (I think that is the correct translation)
I feel old

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”