[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:51 am

Yesterday, music man Devin Townsend announced his Pledge campaign to raise money for his upcoming "Casualties of Cool" side project; in under 12 hours he achieved double his goal. I've been stoked for this album for a long time; he says this album isn't meant to be a statement for his career, but is instead a more personal project he's doing with his touring band while he works on his sequel to the Ziltoid album (all the extra money from the campaign will be going toward the Z2 album). He describes the style of the album as a sort of haunted Johnny Cash, which is intriguing to say the least.

Those who pledge received various little bits of swag, but among these is a release of a track from the album, which is now on Youtube of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlLqvZPfI8

I really like it! Can't wait for the rest of the album.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Jon Chang went out with a bang once again. The last time that a band of his broke up, they put out an album that in my mind is the single greatest grindcore recording in the history of the genre, and now his new (now old...) band GridLink has put out a release that will seriously challenge The Inalienable Dreamless' throne. Seriously, this stuff is unfuckwithable. Chang's vocals are stronger than ever, Takafumi Matsubara showcases once again why he is the absolute best when it comes to lightspeed guitar wizardry, and Bryan Fajardo's blasting is up there with the best of them.

There is also variety in the material unprecedented in grindcore. While your typical grind release would consist of 20-30 minutes of full-on blasting, and perhaps a random sludge metal track, GridLink utilise, for example, strings in several of their songs. There's even a 2-minute acoustic interlude that is weirdly one of my favourite songs on the album. Most of the album is, of course, more or less typical grind (usually less). I don't really have any complaints with this album. GridLink has built a reputation as a band that releases no filler material whatsoever, and that is definitely the case here as well, even though the album is almost twice as long as any of their previous releases at 21 minutes.

On a side note, when a band manages to get a person of Paul Pavlovich's (Anticapital-era Assück vocalist) status to come out retirement to provide guest vocals, you can be pretty sure that the album is going to rule.

I don't usually give scores to albums but after 10+ listens I feel confident in giving this album a score of "10/10 AOTYAY".

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:59 pm

That girl looks like she's wearing a plugsuit.

/obvious
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:44 pm

That's probably the idea, Chang loves him some Eva
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:55 am

Entirety of Anne's Pulling Chain is streaming at the moment:
http://www.bbook.com/blackbook-premiere-anne-pulling-chain/

Album is mint - Light some candles, crank the sound and get your girl.

Another single from the upcoming Coud Nothings record too:
https://soundcloud.com/cloudnothings/psychic-trauma
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Blue, dudeee, I was going to wait to listen to the new Anne album until I had an actual physical copy(like an 80's kid), but I don't have that kind of patience. Not a bad record at all, great opening track. And I usually tend to like his songs more and more with each listen, so it's only going to get better from here. :kawaii:

Dude has such a great head of hair.

When I saw that Blonde Men was on this release too I was hoping it'd be a different mix, but it's not, so, oh well. Also, as I do not have a girl I am not sure I can fully immerse myself in the "whole Anne experience." (terrible joke :| )

2014 slays.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Heh – I’ve never had the patience to wait until I have my hands on a tangible copy/the vinyl itself. Last time I tried that was with Converge’s All We Love We Leave Behind in 2012 and I lasted all of five seconds when digital download came with the pre-order.

:rofl:

Regarding Pulling Chain: Yeah I’m really digging it hey, and considering this is still pretty early ground for David (with synths and the whole solo electronic side of things) it promises greater works yet to come I reckon. Still, not as good as the 7” songs though - They’re just perfection. The opening to 'Pet Names' makes me go weak in the knees and the super slinky, sexy bass lines of 'Power Exchange'…

When I saw that Blonde Men was on this release too I was hoping it'd be a different mix, but it's not, so, oh well.

Yeah that was kind of a disappointment for me too. Bit of a lost opportunity IMO.

Meanwhile, continuing to listen to Nothing’s Guilty of Everything every day. In fact it’s probably all I’m really listening to ATM. It’s a great feeling when a record comes out and it’s everything you expected and wanted it to be.

“It’s easier to miss”

And between ‘Dig’, ‘Bent Nail’, ‘Endlessly’ and ‘B&E’…
So many great tracks.
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:43 pm

MCRs last Single. . . I was a huge fan of them growing up. I'm really going to miss them. they really helped me out during a dark time in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI1JtuhvGSk

Some people watch
Some people pray
But even lights can fade away.
Some people hope
Some people pay
But why'd we have to stay?
'Cause even heroes
Get the blues
Or any misery you choose
You like to watch
We like to use
And we were born to lose

I choose defeat
I walk away
And leave this place
The same today
Some like to sleep
We like to play
Just look at all that pain

You want the heart
Or to be saved
But even good guys still get paid
So watch my back
And keep the blade
I think it got you laid
So fake your death
Or it’s your blame
And leave the lights on when you stay
Take off your clothes
And dream that fame
Come on and feel that shame

I choose defeat
I walk away
And leave this place
The same today
Some like to sleep
We like to play

Just look at all that pain [3x]
Just give me all that pain [3x]

I choose defeat
I walk away
And leave this place
The same today
Some like to sleep
We like to play

I wouldn't mind seeing an Evangelion Amv with this song. . . maybe I'll make one myself once Final comes out.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Just bought Pharrell's new album GIRL is FIRE !!! I'm loving the main single Happy. It just makes me feel so.....happy :D I've also got some other favs such as Gust of Wind, Lost Queen, and It Girl. But the whole album has a great flow.....just love it.

I've also discovered Emika. Very unique electronica...kind of dark and haunting. I have both albums Emika and DVA....which personally DVA is the best so far.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:56 am

Feeling nostalgic for them recently, I went back through Depeche Mode's back catalog. Here's what I ascertained:

-Speak and Spell is kinda throwaway ("meh" at best).
-A Broken Frame is better...but still not quite good enough.
-Construction Time Again, Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion are all damn-near perfect: easily one of the best runs I've seen for a synthpop group (or any pop group I've listened to, for that matter).
-Ultra gets lost sometimes in semi-industrial murk, but it's still good.
-Exciter is a little too low-key for my tastes. Too little in the way of grand, sweeping songs.
-Playing the Angel is fantastic (I'd say as good as MFTM or SOFAD).
-Sounds of the Universe and Delta Machine are slower to grow on you, but are every bit as good as PTA.

Overall, it's been a good couple of days of listening.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:06 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote: Depeche Mode's

I think all of us on EGF are connected by interlocking brain waves or something; I just bought this yesterday
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s842.photobucket.com/user/icannotredo/media/WP_20140306_001_zps440ca995.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

I think Depeche Mode are probably my favorite band that I've barely ever listened to. I'm gloomy and they're gloomy, I like to dance and their music is good for dancing, their style was great, etc. etc.

Sadly, I've only really listened to Violator and a few of their singles(Shake the Disease is great). So far I love Black Celebration, and I think I'll buy MFTM as soon as I get back to a record store.

I think the fact that they've released so much material was just a tad bit daunting for me, so I ignored them and listened to Joy Division and The Smiths, both of which existed for a few moments and then were gone. But, man, Depeche Mode are so damn sick. I'm super excited to work my way through their collection.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I think all of us on EGF are connected by interlocking brain waves or something; I just bought this yesterday
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s842.photobucket.com/user/icannotredo/media/WP_20140306_001_zps440ca995.jpg.html][/URL]

Oooh, that's friggin' eerie. Expanded version or original?

(Also, placing the Shinji figure near it makes for a rather chuckle-worthy moment. I can just see him listening to some DM in one of his "down moods"...although I'd imagine it would be hell-and-a-half to find those albums in SDAT format. :lol: )

Sadly, I've only really listened to Violator and a few of their singles(Shake the Disease is great). So far I love Black Celebration, and I think I'll buy MFTM as soon as I get back to a record store.

Good call. And yes, that's a terrific single (I'm also quite partial to "It's Called a Heart").

I think the fact that they've released so much material was just a tad bit daunting for me, so I ignored them and listened to Joy Division and The Smiths, both of which existed for a few moments and then were gone. But, man, Depeche Mode are so damn sick. I'm super excited to work my way through their collection.

Great to hear. Yeah, bands with a hefty discography can be quite a task, but it's an enjoyable one. And definitely agree with your point regarding JD and Smiths, the small backlogs can be easier to really get into. But it all remains the same: if you love it, listen to it and more like it.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Been out of town for over a month on business so didn't get a chance to go through some of the stuff that came in the mail. An original 1971 release of Meddle:

The best thing about an album like Meddle is that the entire second side is "Echoes"

Some funny photos of Willie and Booker T, from the 80's

A bunch of other stuff, but notably the Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band, which has got that hilarious "she's so fat" song on it:

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:31 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote: Expanded version or original?

It's a reproduction with the original UK track order on heavy duty vinyl. The sad thing about being a record collector and a new wave fan is that it's basically impossible to find non-reporduction records in good condition by the more popular artists(DP, Smiths,JD, New Order) without paying a lot of money. Unfortunately the reproductions are usually over priced as well(spent $35 on Meat is Murder sans How Soon is Now? a few years back for some reason.) :facepalm: But that's life.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:32 am

Beck - Morning Phase

8/10

Really great, life affirming record. Obviously being a companion album to Sea Change it shares some of its melancholy but minus a fair portion of the self-wallowing. Not necessarily a good thing, as it can work both ways. I think a few of the tracks actually would've benefited if they'd taken a more sombre path at certain turns. 'Blue Moon' is absolute bliss, though.
Warren Peace, #643919

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 am

It came to my attention Friday that Linkin Park and 30 seconds to mars are finally coming to south Florida in August. To celebrate I've engrossed myself in both their albums. I must've played Reanimation about 5 times. I LOVE that album. Words just can't describe it. I also did a recap of A Thousand Suns. They got a little flack because of that one but I liked it. As a matter of fact, Robot Boy, which is one of my favs came from this album. It just grabs me every time I hear it.

As for 30 seconds to mars. I absolutely adored their first two albums.
The Kill and Echelon are two of my favorite singles. I didn't mind the last two albums. They strayed off course a little but were still enjoyable. Either way I can't wait to see them live. WOOT WOOT :jiggy:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Anyone else heard about the Nirvana tribute album In Utero: In Tribute: In Entirety? I'm not much at all the one for covers or tributes usually but this looks like it'll have heaps of interesting acts. Robotic Empire are putting it out and the tracklist is as follows:
    1. Pygmy Lush – “Serve the Servants”
    2. Circa Survive – “Scentless Apprentice”
    3. These Arms Are Snakes – “Heart-Shaped Box”
    4. Thursday – “Rape Me”
    5. Jay Reatard – “Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle”
    6. Young Widows – “Dumb”
    7. Mean Jeans – “Very Ape”
    8. Thou – “Milk It”
    9. Whirr – “Pennyroyal Tea”
    10. Daughters – “Radio Friendly Unit Shifter”
    11. Ceremony – “Tourette’s”
    12. Black Math Horseman – “All Apologies”
From that list I love Circa Survive, Thursday and Whirl and am curious to see how These Arms Are Snakes and Ceremony cover these songs. Not the kind of thing I'd buy, maybe instead worth checking out on YouTube or something once it's released.
Warren Peace, #643919

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:55 am

Well, a couple of things recently...

Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
I've been giving this one at least a couple of spins a week for the last two, so it should be mentioned. Really don't understand why this band was never more popular (in the U.S., at least): they're an awesome doom metal band with tempos that would make Sabbath sound speedy. It does start sounding a little samey toward the middle (not a lot of variation, I'm afraid), but it's still worth hearing. Look for the expanded version: there's a really good cover of Black Flag's "Thirsty and Miserable" as a bonus.

Neurosis - Souls at Zero
Ah yes, the start of post-metal. Something about hearing the sludgy stuff mashed together with more folk-like sounds just does something to my mind. Love it, definitely for those looking for something more...interesting within heavier music.

And, because I didn't have anywhere better to put them:
No other version can top the original, but this version of "Passenger" is well worth your time. Go Haley.
Tool's 46 & Two, as played by schoolkids. Both WTF and awesome at the same time.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Like a Prayer turns 25 this month; one of the greatest songs (and music videos) in pop history:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=79fzeNUqQbQ

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Anyone who enjoys chiptune and the like should listen to Myst's soundtrack. This is my favorite.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”