FML General Thread [4]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:max temperatures here are about 27 degrees (celsius). Do you live near the ocean?
It even gets warmer than that here, like it did yesterday, when the outside temperatures were ~30 and they've been hotter -- and then when you factor in solar gain (even with the curtains closed) and the effects of massive house insulation trapping warm air upstairs where the bedrooms are...

If you check those location tags, they're closer to the Great Lakes than any ocean.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:21 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Holy bejeezus. It was as high as 92 degrees (maybe 94?) in my corner of Illinois today.

Yep, same here... It's going to be in the mid 90s all week (around 34c). I noticed it getting a little uncomfortable before I crashed yesterday, woke up to find it's not getting anywhere near the usual 75 I try to keep my place at.

@ sgt. Griff: Heh. It would only take about 11 hours to drive to the gulf of mexico from here.

I think I'll be catching up on this summer's movie releases.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mt Olympus
Lilith

Postby Mt Olympus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am

The amount of anger I have right now can never be expressed enough, so much anger that it has spilled into the Gods themselves and they are so over-flowed with it that it has spilled over in the the next tier of Gods which only feel confusion.

I went to Avalon Beach in New Jersey yesterday, looking forward to spending a day in the sun, swimming, reading, tanning, relaxing, and eating some fried clam strips. I got there around 8:30 am went to the southern most beach, parked and unloaded my stuff, I then proceed to find a cozy spot to lay all my things out and prepare for a glorious day. First thing I do is go to the water and check the temperature, it's piss warm, I immediately go back to my stuff put on some sun screen and head out into the water. Amazing! It was so warm. After swimming for about an hour I went back to my chair and lay out a bit and read.

More people started coming out and laying there things about. It wasn't nearly as busy as I thought it would be. After some time I go back into the water, then something happens.... I hear a whistle. It was a lifeguard. Not doing anything wrong I continue my enjoyment. Then I hear another whistle and notice there is a lifeguard standing parallel to me and the beach. He starts waving at me. "What am I doing wrong?" I think to myself. I start my way out of the water and walk over to him.

"What's up?" I say

"You can't swim here" say's the lifeguard wearing giant gucci sunglasses.

"Why?" I ask in a fit of confusion.

"You need to be in front of the lifeguard bench." He says.

"I am" I reply.

"No, you need to be IN FRONT of it, you're off to the side"

"I've never heard of such a rule before in my life"

"Well that's how we do it here"

"What about that guy fishing down there? I ask, pointing the fisherman about 70 feet away in chest high water.

"He's following the rules, if you have a fishing rod we don't have any responsibility over him."

"You don't have any responsibility over me either." I reply.

"If you're swimming I do." He says.

The argument continued for a few more minutes as I pointed out that I didn't want to swim with all the other people and wanted to be alone. That I was here an hour and a half before he arrived and was swimming where ever I felt like. That this whole fucking thing was bullshit and that I didn't need my hand held by someone that hasn't spent nearly as much time in the ocean as I have and is what looked like 10 years younger than me.

After the argument and not wanting to put up with this bullshit rule I immediately went back to my things packed up and left. I was and am so angry about this I have promised to never go back to New Jersey beaches during "lifeguard hours" 10am-5pm. This asinine law is a microcosm of a greater big brother, handle holding childishness that adults are forced to follow and conform to, which only makes me angrier.

The beaches I've been to in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, and California never had shit like this.

SO FUCKING INFURIATING!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :fistshake:

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 am

Was it a public beach? If so, the LGs don't have jurisdiction over you (at least here in Florida).
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 am

Hey, score one for my landlord! I left a message late last night and one of their staff guys already came buy to check it out by 8 (property manager's office is only open in the afternoon, hence why I'm impressed they got to it so fast), and he says he should be able to get a heating/cooling guy out here today.

Same day service from an AC repair guy in the middle of July? Inconceivable. I was totally expecting to be stuck with it for a few days.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 am

@NemZ: Is this some sort of meta-FML? That's an RML, but you're posting it in FML. Is it an FML because you accidentally posted your RML in FML?
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Mt Olympus
Lilith

Postby Mt Olympus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Was it a public beach? If so, the LGs don't have jurisdiction over you (at least here in Florida).

I'm pretty sure it's public but there's a fee to go there, though I never paid(Thank God!). There were also signs at the entrances that pretty much say that the lifeguards are judge, jury and executioner while you're on the beach. But only from 10am-5pm of course :P When I left I stopped by a restaurant and had some clam strips for lunch and asked the guy that worked there what he thought about those rules. He said "They're pretty dumb but that's how it's always been." Then he said that he only goes after 5pm when they leave and you can do whatever you want then.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:@NemZ: Is this some sort of meta-FML? That's an RML, but you're posting it in FML. Is it an FML because you accidentally posted your RML in FML?

Honestly, the revelation that things suck less than you expected doesn't constitute a RML, just less of a FML. Nothing actually GOOD happened, afterall. I'm still simmering in my own juices and such. I mean I was going to catch a matinee of Pacific Rim to get out of here for a while and cool off, but now that the repair guy is supposedly coming I have to stick around.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Well, it's been a good run, I guess. I tried to talk to my friend a few times but it didn't work. That argument definitely marked the end of it, and although no ties have been severed, it doesn't look like things will ever be the same between us.

I don't particularly care, though, so this is actually a minor FML. I'm not about to allow anybody to control my life and tell me who I am and who I'm not supposed to have a relationship with, so if that's the way she needs to have it, I don't want any of it, best friend or not. I'm absolutely ecstatic where I am and I intend to keep it that way.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Holy bejeezus. It was as high as 92 degrees (maybe 94?) in my corner of Illinois today. It was so hot I was pouring sweat and had to take a shower after a mere walk around the neighborhood. To experience that indoors, unescapably... Yikes.

Ha, Northerners. Here in Texas we had almost two straight weeks of tripe digit temperatures with humidity.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Ha, Northerners.

Bitch, I spent 7 years in Atlanta.

It's a term of endearment. Call me bitch all you want. Oh yes.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:40 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Ha, Northerners. Here in Texas we had almost two straight weeks of tripe digit temperatures with humidity.

Yeah, people were talking about a "heat wave" locally and I was like "buh? It's July, why wouldn't it be over 90?" It'll still be nice when it cools down a bit this weekend though.

Edit: wasn't meaning you NemZ. Broken AC sucks ass.
Last edited by Bagheera on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 am

Well yeah, I expect it to be hot in July. I just don't want it to be 90+ inside my house.

So yeah, repair guy did in fact show up, but something is fubar in there and it needs a replacement part he didn't have in his truck, so he'll be back tomorrow.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 am

I've become less of an opinionated arse in recent weeks. I've failed you.

FML.
Leave Shinji alone

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:51 am

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:Well, it's been a good run, I guess. I tried to talk to my friend a few times but it didn't work. That argument definitely marked the end of it, and although no ties have been severed, it doesn't look like things will ever be the same between us.

I don't particularly care, though, so this is actually a minor FML. I'm not about to allow anybody to control my life and tell me who I am and who I'm not supposed to have a relationship with, so if that's the way she needs to have it, I don't want any of it, best friend or not. I'm absolutely ecstatic where I am and I intend to keep it that way.

I wish I had the kind of strength to say this and mean it. The ex came into town for three days, and for three days, I bawled like a petulant child once faced with my feelings again. She's 20 weeks pregnant with fuckstick's kid, and they're getting married once she gets back home. I'm stuck here, living in my own filth and tears and crying about things I can't change, and the worst part is that she gave me more than enough chances to take her and my son back, and I didn't believer her enough to say yes. Now I'm paying the price for my foolhardiness, and it's one that hurts at the deepest levels. She could tell that her absence had a drastic negative effect on me - I stank and looked like a fucking hobo, like I lost the ability to give even the most basic shit about how I looked or felt, and I only have myself to blame now.

On that note, since she arrived, I haven't been able to get The Dark Side of the Moon out of my head, so that doesn't help the crying fits any. I selfishly want her to save me from myself, even though I know it's an impossibility, but it doesn't make me wish for it any less, and to that end, I feel like I can't save myself without her somehow, and I can't escape that feeling. Every moment of the past month has been a living nightmare that I cannot wake from, torturing me with sadness and fear, and the only one that can make it all go away has stuck herself with someone who doesn't need any saving to begin with.
Last edited by Vegeta 20XX on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 am

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:Well, it's been a good run, I guess. I tried to talk to my friend a few times but it didn't work. That argument definitely marked the end of it, and although no ties have been severed, it doesn't look like things will ever be the same between us.

That's really too bad. Even if you do seem to be fine with it it's still sad that after so long it had to end like that. :(
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 am

I installed Linux, I got pissed off because it is annoying and I scratched my chest to give vent to my rage.
FML.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 pm

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I'd just like to interject for a moment.

pffft

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I'm using Ubuntu.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”