[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 pm

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130819/10231324232/nypd-chief-ray-kelly-claims-ending-stop-frisk-will-hurt-minorities-result-surge-criminal-activity.shtml
^in which a little bitch admits that promoting a facially unconstitutional stop and frisk policy to the exclusion of any legal method of crime prevention will lead to minorities being endangered and a crimewave.

/slowclap Ray Kelly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Parents need to keep a closer watch over their children. I know that you can't keep track of your child 24/7; that's impossible. However, I would expect one to watch over their child in an environment such as a skate park.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:04 am

Apparently that was just a regular park, not a skate park. Still, the mother overreacted when the guy was clearly being apologetic. Thankfully he had the foresight to just walk away instead of retaliating.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Apparently that was just a regular park, not a skate park. Still, the mother overreacted when the guy was clearly being apologetic. Thankfully he had the foresight to just walk away instead of retaliating.

Wait, it was a regular park? I was sympathetic when I thought it was a skate park, since it seemed he was taking reasonable precautions and all, but if it was a regular park fuck 'im. Yeah, the mom overreacted, but "Oh gee, I was focusing on my trick!" doesn't cut it when you're in a public park and there are kids around.

Kind of appalling that she doesn't seem to spare a thought for her kid, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:37 am

Hacker who exposed Facebook bug to get reward from unexpected source

When I first heard about this two days ago (three?) I was angry, "No good deed goes unpunished." It seems some justice is being done, though, and the guys getting an even bigger reward than he could have hoped for.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Oh, that's just sad. My feelings for poor Hikaru.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Wait, it was a regular park? I was sympathetic when I thought it was a skate park, since it seemed he was taking reasonable precautions and all, but if it was a regular park fuck 'im. Yeah, the mom overreacted, but "Oh gee, I was focusing on my trick!" doesn't cut it when you're in a public park and there are kids around.

Kind of appalling that she doesn't seem to spare a thought for her kid, though.

To be clear, that man on the skateboard assaulted that kid. Reckless behavior is sufficient. Anything that followed could be put down as (or sold to a jury as) a reasonable response to that assault. :/

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:04 pm

It must be lovely to be unable to feel sadness in ANY situation.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:07 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:It must be lovely to be unable to feel sadness in ANY situation.

That would kick so much ass, but it would make funerals a bit awkward.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:12 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:That would kick so much ass, but it would make funerals a bit awkward.

"My wife/son/daughter/brother died? Fantastic!"

I feel sad for him... because he can´t feel sadness. This world is just full of surprises.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:33 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:To be clear, that man on the skateboard assaulted that kid. Reckless behavior is sufficient. Anything that followed could be put down as (or sold to a jury as) a reasonable response to that assault. :/

Good point. I'm not quite sold on the latter point, but I can't argue with the rest. The fact the article seems to be firmly in the skater's camp is somewhat disturbing.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Good point. I'm not quite sold on the latter point, but I can't argue with the rest. The fact the article seems to be firmly in the skater's camp is somewhat disturbing.

If charges were brought against the mother for assault, she could claim insanity or self-defense. That seems like a pretty easy sell. As probable as it is that the skater would be charged, it seems improbable that the mother would be. The law doesn't allow retaliation, but if a lawyer could sell that the mother interpreted the hit as an attack, having the attacker even in proximity to the child could be sold as an ongoing conflict that the mother responded to and did not escalate.

I don't see a civil action going much better (and not very likely because, you know, skater), as the mother is sympathetic and a criminal charge may only succeed out of sheer technicality (if the state had a duty to retreat, if the judge decided that the chronology of the incident was too spread out to support insanity or a response to an ongoing altercation).

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:13 am

@arkiel How would the evidence caught on tape play into this, if at all?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:If charges were brought against the mother for assault, she could claim insanity or self-defense. That seems like a pretty easy sell. As probable as it is that the skater would be charged, it seems improbable that the mother would be. The law doesn't allow retaliation, but if a lawyer could sell that the mother interpreted the hit as an attack, having the attacker even in proximity to the child could be sold as an ongoing conflict that the mother responded to and did not escalate.

I don't see a civil action going much better (and not very likely because, you know, skater), as the mother is sympathetic and a criminal charge may only succeed out of sheer technicality (if the state had a duty to retreat, if the judge decided that the chronology of the incident was too spread out to support insanity or a response to an ongoing altercation).

Actually, no, to all of this.

The skater, while apparently somewhat reckless, did the responsible thing after the accident. He stayed to make sure the kid was alright. Even during the accident you can see that he deliberately fell in order to avoid as much injury to the child as possible. When the mother came to the scene, she was aggressive the entire time. The skater was defensive the entire time. Self-defense is out, period. Temporary insanity is very shaky at best.

The entire incident on tape (which unless the judge is clearly biased will be shown in court if charges are pressed) shows the skater in a defensive posture. He tried to avoid a hit, apologized for hitting the kid and had his hand up defensively and was backing away from a very aggressive mother. Self-defense in this case would actually favor the skater, not the mother, in this case.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah, I think you could get the skater for reckless disregard (doing tricks in a normal park with kids around is just a bad idea), and I doubt anyone would press for charges against the mother. They could, though; she was clearly the aggressor there and the prior incident was long since over by the time she advanced on him and punched him. Even so, no way the skater wasn't at fault for the initial incident.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Even so, no way the skater wasn't at fault for the initial incident.

Not only is there not enough information given to make that assertion, but it also implies that the skater is at fault for the mother punching him (if he wasn't there, he wouldn't have gotten punched). That is wrong-headed.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:54 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Not only is there not enough information given to make that assertion, but it also implies that the skater is at fault for the mother punching him (if he wasn't there, he wouldn't have gotten punched). That is wrong-headed.

I'll have to side with Tribble, here. We don't have enough evidence to really lay any sort of claim. The first job of a skeptic is to analyze the claims made and the evidence. I would say that the mother acted irrationally and escalated the situation. Based on the skater's actions, I don't think he's necessarily the aggressor in this situation, perhaps careless, but not malicious.

Had I been in that situation, that woman would have a bloody nose after decking me.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”