[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:55 pm

This effects other esports too, for the record.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:03 am

The Olympics are being watered down with all these meaningless sports that don't mean anything outside of a very small percentage of the general population.

Less synchronized diving and more fencing please.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 am

I like watching curling. That crazy bastard with a brush just going apeshit on the ice amuses me.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:10 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I like watching curling. That crazy bastard with a brush just going apeshit on the ice amuses me.

I knew I wasn't the only one!
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Can't wait 'til the Olympics has Professional Speed Eating and Masturbation. i'd take gold in both.

You must come a lot.
/gag

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 am

[url]http://culturedbeef.net/[/url]

I'm waiting for this to become reality on the meat aisles of nearby grocery store.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 am

But will it be labelled as vegetarian?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:25 am

I saw this on the news, and my dad and I had a good laugh at the timing because mere days ago we had been talking about exactly this topic, lab-grown meat, in the context of me expressing my desire for humanity to evolve through technology past the need to kill other animals. I remember making a post around here to that effect in the recent past, too.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:29 am

Good question. In the strictest sense, maybe not, since it seems there still has to be some animals around to get the original cells out from and there's a constant need for these cells too. On the other hand, if it really cuts down on the absolute amount of animal suffering that happens in reality (and the environmental damage) it's still a very positive step.

I haven't made up my mind if I can consider it "vegetarian" enough from animal rights/welfare POV to eat it. But I'm not denying the possibility outright.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 am

View Original PostBiQ wrote:[url]http://culturedbeef.net/[/url]

Dear lord, I really do like the idea of the breakthrough (even if it means were actually eating tumors) but the pretentiousness of some of these people is grating.

"Neolithic minds with modern weapons"

... and f*ck you British prick #8.

"It now has this label on it "Animals suffered for this product... bad for environment."

No, we are not the EU.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 am

On a bit more local topic, The Water Sign has entered its "sequel-buyer capture" phase of marketing, and is available for free through iTunes.

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7c563325cd8e94ca2971d66ce&id=77f46a2fc4

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 am

Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:24 am

Anno must be really excited! :lol:

inb4 We get a new character named Izumo in FINAL.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:32 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10222473/Have-an-orgasm-instead-of-doing-a-crossword-its-better-for-your-brain-says-scientist.html

I'm not sure if the guy who did this research has the best job in the world or not.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

... Bet the FBI's next. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:51 am

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: ... Bet the FBI's next. Bl

Postby arkiel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 am

That's one of those things that kinda looks facially constitutional. "Parallel construction" has been recognized for awhile in criminal procedure. The extent to which this is illegal is obscure, and I guess relates to a rule of evidence...?

Another thing that needs a statutory fix. It'd be nice if they started suppressing on Constitutional grounds, but I doubt the judiciary - short of the supreme court - would knowingly inflict that appeals backlog on themselves.

This right here is more solidly unconstitutional:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/nsa-captures-americans-internet-content-if-it-mentions-overseas-suspects/

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: ... Bet the FBI's next. Bl

Postby Trajan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Is anyone really honestly surprised at this point? Citizens only have as much freedom as governments say they have; as much as that may suck, it's better than the alternative.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 am

[url]http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/dont-worry-nsa-sayswe-only-touch-1-6-of-daily-global-internet-traffic/[/url]
I don't find that reassuring, myself...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”