So I made these cartoons about Mohammed and now I'm dead...

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

So I made these cartoons about Mohammed and now I'm dead...

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:35 pm

If you haven't been living under a rock you must know about the crazyness going on over east (speaking from Canada). I would like to know what everyones opinon is on the matter.

Personaly I think the Muslam people have taken this joke way to far in the matter. Killing and burning buildings over a joke is not THAT big a deal. And I have just learned today that the Muslam community has posted a contest to for the best cartoon making fun of the holocast. I don't really care if they posted a cartoon about it, it is just proving to the world that they are just stupping to their level and showing the world how childish the matter really is.
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:29 pm

For anyone who hasn't seen the actual cartoons in question, they are viewable (in English) here:
[url]http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/Mo_Cartoons.jpg[/url]
Really rather innocuous, by any standard. They originally accompanied an article about the "many faces of Mohammed."

No major paper or news outlet in the US, though, will publish them in the fear, I imagine, that by doing so they would either be seen as multiculturally insensitive or responsible for the death of people in the ensuing riots.

That being said, I doubt that 99% of those actually protesting in the Muslim states have actually seen the cartoons. This isn't about the cartoons any more than the Rodney King riots were about one person getting beaten by the LAPD. More than that, I think there's a few factors in play:

1) General Muslim anger about perceived imperialism by the West over Muslim countries, which bubbles up all the time into protests and riots -- we just don't hear about them all the time in the West

2) The true and sincere attitude of many Muslims, in Europe and elsewhere, that they are in those countries to re-establish the Islamic Caliphate. The BBC carried a story a few months ago about an Islamic group in Scotland who requested that alcohol no longer be served in open-air cafes so that their youth would not be tempted (can't find the link, sorry). Canada is allowing the formation of Sharia (Islamic law) courts. And, apparently, in Denmark where all these protests started months ago, free speech is subordinate to religion -- but especially Islam.

It's a world-view that hasn't been through the Reformation yet, unfortunately. Nations should be melting pots, not tossed salads -- and it is the obligation of immigrants to adapt, not the other way round, no matter what some people would think.

What's more shameful, though, is that the Vatican has come out against disrespecting religion with speech now as part of the backlash from this whole affair, and most Muslim governments seem to be condemning the move as well. As for me, I won't stand for it -- if we're going to have to respect (instead of tolerate) the beliefs of all religions, I'm founding my own. My fundamental tenet is that the government is obligated to give me one million dollars a year to spend as I please.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:31 pm

All that fuss over those cartoons....they weren't THAT offensive...and people have died over this bullshit....
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:06 pm

I really like the third one.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:15 am

What I really love about this situation is how Muslims are protesting that their religion isn't violent yet they go out and torch embassies and people die over cartoons. Does this seem ironic to anyone but me?
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 am

I wish I was surprised by this. I really do.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 am

SEELE 08 wrote:What I really love about this situation is how Muslims are protesting that their religion isn't violent yet they go out and torch embassies and people die over cartoons. Does this seem ironic to anyone but me?

See my post above. I strongly suspect that this isn't about religion, in many ways, any more than the Iraq terrorism of the moment is.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 am

They were bound to run outa virgins sooner or later, at the rate that 1 suicide bomber ges like 70 or so....

I like it.

:lol:
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:07 pm

A few bad apples spoil the bunch. one guy starts throwing rocks, and one by one the rest of them do. one guy starts throwing maltove cocktails and so does everyone else. Just a few extreamests get the whole group upset and go crazy.

Christianity has also gone berzerk on the subject of abortion. A guy walks into an abortion clinic and kills the doctor... im gana kill you because you kill babies! Im sure theres more instances then that, but this is the first to come to mind for me.
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:54 pm

TheBlueTree wrote:Christianity has also gone berzerk on the subject of abortion. A guy walks into an abortion clinic and kills the doctor... im gana kill you because you kill babies! Im sure theres more instances then that, but this is the first to come to mind for me.

Here's the difference: one person who thinks he's Christian bombs an abortion clinic, and is sentenced to Death Row. A mob of thousands of people who think they're Muslim attack an embassy, and are tacitly supported by their governments.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:08 pm

Jylland-Posten's journalists are a bunch of reactionary provocateurs

Looks like someone just got SERVED.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:24 am

All that fuss over those cartoons....they weren't THAT offensive...and people have died over this bullshit....

The western world... Isn't exactly liked over in the Middle-East... And this doesn't help. Imagine if someone you didn't like, nearly to the point you could say that you hated them, made cartoons about you that were far from flattering... How'd you feel and react?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Last year in my country there was an exposition by a plastic artist, an 80 year old guy, who made opuses like Jesus crucified on an American jet fighter. The following day, the moral christians started first peacefully demonstrating, then running wild and breaking havoc. Some months later there came that woman from holland with her abortion ship. On the oh so moral and christian demonstrations against her coming, they threw a guy through a flight of stairs breaking many bones on him, and also breaking up the place.

So, stupidity over religion is not exclusive to muslims.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:27 pm

Eternal Yamcha wrote:

The western world... Isn't exactly liked over in the Middle-East... And this doesn't help. Imagine if someone you didn't like, nearly to the point you could say that you hated them, made cartoons about you that were far from flattering... How'd you feel and react?

That exact thing actually happened to me a few years ago, and I still see this as stone-age ass-hatted idiocy. Dignity cannot be stolen; it can only be forfeited. To regard petty cartoons as an offense meriting death is an insult to the undentable Allah.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:59 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Last year in my country there was an exposition by a plastic artist, an 80 year old guy, who made opuses like Jesus crucified on an American jet fighter. The following day, the moral christians started first peacefully demonstrating, then running wild and breaking havoc. Some months later there came that woman from holland with her abortion ship. On the oh so moral and christian demonstrations against her coming, they threw a guy through a flight of stairs breaking many bones on him, and also breaking up the place.

So, stupidity over religion is not exclusive to muslims.

I do think that certain environments seem to foster it though. (No offense to your country, but...) Here in the US we had a very contentious debate over the future of the NEA (National Arts Endowment, government funding for art) a few years ago after someone noticed an NEA-funded work called "Piss Jesus" that involved a crucifix placed in a glass jar of urine. I'm not aware of anybody dying over that.

Actually, it annoys me more that many of the same editorialists here who supported the NEA back then are now refusing to reprint these Mohammed cartoons in the name of religio-cultural sensitivity.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:38 pm

I heard that some cleric put a 1000000 bounty on the head of the cartoonist. This is just being taken to rediculous lengths.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:52 am

That exact thing actually happened to me a few years ago, and I still see this as stone-age ass-hatted idiocy. Dignity cannot be stolen; it can only be forfeited. To regard petty cartoons as an offense meriting death is an insult to the undentable Allah.

I'm going to assume that you're not a radical and aren't willing to kill yourself for your "religion." Many of the radicals will take whatever they can and blow it out of proportion if it helps their cause... It's a VERY effective tactic... Apparently.

Edit: I in absolutely, positively no way am defending them and their actions... What I am doing is explaining, to the best of my abilities, how their minds might be working.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”