[News] 2012 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:36 pm

So, has anyone mentioned yet that 22 kids were also hurt in a knife attack at a school in China?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:42 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Gun control is not the answer.

I was waiting for this statement, America's exceptionalism really knows no boundaries, it extends from foreign policy to law enforcement.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I was waiting for this statement, America's exceptionalism really knows no boundaries, it extends from foreign policy to law enforcement.

Would you care not to be so insulting to an entire nation?
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:So, has anyone mentioned yet that 22 kids were also hurt in a knife attack at a school in China?

When I saw that further down in my Facebook feed for a moment I thought it was talking about the same incident and I thought "Huh, why is this source reporting that it was a knife but the later one said it was a gun? Maybe this one is an early, inaccurate report?" And then I read the comments and saw that someone had commented "Two in one day?!" and I realized they were in fact talking about two separate incidents and I was like wow!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Well I'm partly guilty here but guys, cut down on the politics. Esp. you Shinchan with your typical provocative blurbs with little content :hohum:

China news here

No deaths so far although 2 persons have been seriously injured
Last edited by Xard on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Would you care not to be so insulting to an entire nation?

Aren't you a little too tense lately? There's a difference between insults and criticisms.
View Original PostXard wrote:Esp. you Shinchan with your provocative blurbs with little content

There's little content in my post because we're always discussing about the same stuff, Xard. Didn't we get over this topic in the gun thread just a pair of months ago or so?
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Well I'm partly guilty here but guys, cut down on the politics. Esp. you Shinchan with your provocative blurbs with little content :hohum:

China news here

No deaths so far although 2 persons have been seriously injured

Yeah, I have to admit some guilt here too, just by posting the story, but this shooting has taken the limit to a whole new level and I felt it deserved posting.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Man today stinks.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 pm

We do have topics for political discussions.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:45 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Man today stinks.

The story of my year.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Seen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Didn't he have semi-automatics with him? I really feel like a bit of gun control should be in place. Just enough so that the average Joe can't get a fucking semi-automatic.

More importantly, I'm almost positive that the signs of his mental illness were growing through the years and that nobody bothered to notice them. Although gun control could help, a person who wants to do something like THIS is going to go to hell and back for the weapons necessary. They need to be stopped and helped before they turn into monsters. People aren't born evil.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 pm

View Original PostSeen wrote:Didn't he have semi-automatics with him?

He had a long-barrel rifle and two handguns, I think.

EDIT: Yes, he had a semiautomatic. I was remembering earlier reports that said he just had a rifle & handguns.

Three weapons were recovered from the school: a semi-automatic .223 Bushmaster found in a car in the school parking lot, and a Glock and a Sig Sauer found with Lanza's body, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. The weapons were legally purchased by Lanza's mother, the official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html

It's likely it's going to take another week for things to cool down and "news" agencies to get it right.

I can't predict what percentage, if any, of the killing the semiauto rifle did, but it's worth noting that handheld pistols did a majority of the damage. And when Cho shot up Tech in 2007 and killed 32 other people, all he used was a set of pistols.

EDIT 2: It's stupid that they're describing the gun as a ".223 Bushmaster". 0.223 is the cartridge caliber of a specific make of bullet, which is used by many different guns. Bushmaster is the name of an entire company. ".223 Bushmaster" rams two generic terms together and tells us very little actual information.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Guys, as horrible as these school massacres are, it's better to discuss them elsewhere instead of clogging up the news thread. NO POLITICS also applies.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:54 pm

In what hopefully is an acceptable tangent to the whole business:

Obama's doing a pretty good job in Newtown right now. Check the feed.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Wired: 15 most dangerous people

Gotta admit Suleimani is pretty boss

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't get the first half of this list... at all.
The F-22 whistleblowers as 'dangerous people'? Come on, give us a break.
Whether this list is worth agreeing with or not, it appears to me that a fair amount of it is propaganda
Voluntary Illusion.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:29 am

Not trying to be political here, though this does have to do with politics. It's just that proposals for a new state don't happen every day. When they do, it's usually about Puerto Rico, not this.

http://www.ibtimes.com/will-washington-dc-become-state-joe-lieberman-introduces-bill-create-51st-state-new-columbia-952982

For those with the stomach to read such things, here's the text of the proposed bill.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/dc.pdf

Personally, I don't see anything outright objectionable or potentially troublesome right off hand. The major concerns seem to be addressed (keeping federal property in federal hands, proper elections, adhering to the process of statehood).

But the name...New Columbia? Really?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

I get hit with THIS?!? >B(

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 am

^ Hey tribblepoo? Hope you don't mind, but I need to borrow your avatar for a second.

SPOILER: Show
THQ has gone Bankrupt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Image

IT"S ALMOST CHRISTMAS, WHAT THE HELL!?!

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Re: I get hit with THIS?!? >B(

Postby Tribblepoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:06 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:^ Hey tribblepoo? Hope you don't mind, but I need to borrow your avatar for a second.

Just don't drop anything. That milk jug was expensive.

SPOILER: Show
THQ has gone Bankrupt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Image

IT"S ALMOST CHRISTMAS, WHAT THE HELL!?!

Well, given that the most notable game I see in the list they give is Saint's Row, it could just very well be that their games weren't too terribly popular. Still, it's a bit of a sad day when a game company that isn't wholly invested in...let's just say "having forcible carnal relations" with our wallets goes under.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: I get hit with THIS?!? >B(

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Just don't drop anything. That milk jug was expensive.

Well, given that the most notable game I see in the list they give is Saint's Row, it could just very well be that their games weren't too terribly popular. Still, it's a bit of a sad day when a game company that isn't wholly invested in...let's just say "having forcible carnal relations" with our wallets goes under.

Because Call of Duty.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”